Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #5909

Goooodmorning all y’all!!!

As I sit drinking my third cup of coffee it looks like it’s going to be a beautiful day out today. I hope so because the Smart car engine finally arrived late yesterday. I looked up engine replacement on the internet and found a fairly thorough article written on the subject. The only problem was it’s written in British, with all the local slang terms and unidentified acronyms it’s no longer English, it’s British! LOL. What did Shaw say? “England and America are two countries separated by a common language.” Oh well, for that matter I remember when I first arrived in Texas in the late 1970’s and after the east Texas waitress repeated herself three times I still couldn’t figure out whatthehell she was saying, and she thought I talked funny.

I made it a point yesterday to drive all over in my Caravan doing a lot of engine stopping and starting and it ran fine all day. Hopefully, that’s the end of my non-maintenance engine service for the next 205,000 miles. You gotta have a PMA!

I finally identified the persistent allergy problem I’ve been having lately. The surrounding countryside is bright yellow with sunflowers! They’re so beautiful, it’s just a shame they have to involve me in their reproductive activities.

As soon as I get the Smart car back and running I’ll be packing up my home-on-wheels and heading north to the Chicago area for the month of October and the first half of November, just about the same time many of you snowbirds will be heading south. I guess I’m just a contrarian. Be sure to give me a wave as you go by! I received an email from my son, he and his wife have finally completed their move to Denver so it looks as if I’ll be returning to Arizona via Denver this November.

All y’all, stay well, and get on the road and enjoy the late summer early fall vacation months. To me spring and fall are the best times of the year followed by winter. Summer’s usually just too danged hot for this hot weather wimp!

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #5910

Hey Frank!

Sounds like they are plugging along on the new facility. Do you think you will be ready for the Snowbirds?

Are the concrete pads for the rv's to park on? If yes they will need to add a few weeks for them to set and support weight,,,, seems this will be tight.

L.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:24 AM   #5911

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Lloyd,
They are supposed to have the old part done by the 1st of December. Yes on the concrete, I keep telling them that it takes 4 weeks minimum to park on the concrete, but what do I know, they have a habit of not listening, then having to redo because they didn't listen. We will see, they are moving right along, but time is getting short, they need to have the concrete mostly poured by the first of November, I really don't see that happening, but hoping that I am wrong.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:25 PM   #5912

I've been in a lot of CGs that you parked next to the concrete pad and that was the patio.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:39 PM   #5913

Me also Popeye. But in Florida pads to park on are really popular,,,, maybe cause of all the sand?

L.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #5914

Winnebago Owners Club
At least the concrete should be really close to level.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:29 AM   #5915

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Yes, The pads will be 20 by 60. and hopefully they will be level. They will put sod between the concrete, so it will be nice.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:56 AM   #5916
bap

goodmorning my friends,,

gonna be a great day today,,,nice outside now as I type low 60s and foggy,,but the humidity returns latter today...ohhh well not gonna complain winter not that far off...lol..----put a call in to my surgeon to get ready for the zipper neck..lol,,,gonna shoot for next month to have the fusion and rods and plate installed in my neck,,the head ach that I have everyday just keeps getting worse and loosing control of my arm is waaaay worse,,,getting to the point I cant work and or think clearly(never could think much..lol) and there is no over the counter meds that help at all,,,back to being a junkie..lol,,,,,,----sorry for ranting just hard to not right now,,....

Lloyd,,,great to see ya back on,,,,,sure hope you and DEBBIE had a great wheeling trip...

FRANK,,,fingers crossed the pads work out...

TIM,, hows it going bro.,,,prayers still out for you,,,how many days now without...were all proud of you buddy!!!

well gotta git crackin,,,,have a blessed day everyone..

bap out....
Old 09-16-2016, 06:13 AM   #5917

Morning!!

Slept late this morning, 73* now.

Daughter comes home from the hospital this morning. She is doing well. My job today is to take her a recliner we have so she has something she can recline in the living room. It is from our reading knook in the master bedroom,,,, the cats will miss it till it returns. (neither of them read)

Debbie leaves for a week at the beach tomorrow morning, ladies trip. They rented a 7 bedroom house right on the ocean in Myrtle. That leaves me on my own for 7 days. Oh boy.

Have a great day all!

L.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:12 AM   #5918

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone;
Jeff - prayers for you our friend for a early date with the surgeon and maximum relief until they can do their job. It is not fun to try to function with a headache and physically hurting. Just wish I could wave a magic wand and make everyone's hurts go away.

Lloyd - without adult supervision for a week!?!?!?!? What to do first? So many choices. Go for a ride, go to the bar, sleep in. I go work on the yard and all of the things I could to that would get me in trouble go away.

Did the last lawn mow for the season the day before yesterday. Weather has been really nice and I am just about done the clean out and replant of a raspberry bed. The other two have just been done so that task is out of the way for a number of years.

Hope everyone has a grand day.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:11 AM   #5919

Goooodmorning all y’all!!!

It’s a beautiful cool sunny morning here in Capitan. I’m sure not looking forwards to getting back to work on that Smart car. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a straight forwards task but like many mechanical things the Smart cars are built with no regard for ease of servicing. However, I imagine if a person worked only on Smart cars he’d learn time saving tricks of the trade. Currently, I have the car’s owner looking for an automatic transmission jack for rent so that when I drop the motor and rear sub-frame assembly out the bottom I can roll it out from underneath the car. If not I’ll have to support it with a floor jack (or two) and then roll it out on the cars rear wheels. An automatic transmission jack would be so much easier.

I’m really looking forwards to hitting the road, though I’m not certain why I’m so intent on spending a month in northeastern Illinois. I have a lot of friends and good memories there but it’s a long ways to travel at 7.5mpg. However, I don’t see myself ever returning so this trip may well be my mid-west swan song. Particularly with my son now living in Denver, my daughter in LA, and my brother in Pleasanton CA everyone’s who’s near and dear to me is out west.

Jeff, I hope your planned surgery solves your back/neck problems. I have two compressed discs in my lower back that will occasionally cause me debilitating pain. Fortunately, in between episodes I’m fine. I just hope that it never becomes a chronic pain problem.

Tim, you mentioned your car brakes. When I was teaching my son car mechanics and maintenance I purposely started him off with a brake job. I instructed him to do the passenger side brakes and call me when he was done so I could inspect his work. Half ways through he came in and complained that the rear drum brakes didn’t seem to be going together correctly and would I help. I said no I won’t help, what you need to do is pull the brake drum off on the driver’s side and you’ll be able to see exactly how it goes together. I saw the light bulb click on in his head and knew that he’d do okay. BTW Tim it’s good to hear you’re not smoking anymore.

Happy and safe travels all y’all.

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:55 AM   #5920

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Morning,
Currently 71.
9 Days smoke free. Coffee is good,
Man I wish I could sleep more than a few hours.
Got up at 3 again, went to bed at Midnight.
Go for a follow up with my Doc this afternoon.

Man Bap I feel for ya, I get Migraines and just freak out. I found Excedrin for Migraines work better than prescription.
I haven't had any problems with my neck and its been almost 30 years. One of the founders of the Zipper neck club.
Kidding aside hope you have success with yours. Get her Done...
Steve that is great advise I would have never thought about doing the breaks that way. Same could be said about the Struts, springs, and all the other problems that are facing the caddie.
Got the front strip stripped down and ready for primer/paint but it started to rain yesterday afternoon so maybe when I get back home this afternoon I can spray. Did a little sanding on the other end yesterday afternoon.
Kinda bummed the sanding bar I bought needs a bigger compressor than what I have. $35.00 down the drain.
Well got to get ready to go see the Doc.
Have a Great Day and
Those on the road be safe,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #5921
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Good afternoon, all!

Tim, Keep up the good work. I'm curious to hear what the doc's reaction to your "9 days" will be.

Frank, I am guessing that your weather is a bit cooler than ours lately. It has still been in the upper 80's (and feels like 90's). Maybe you get some cooling effect from the Gulf?

Steve, Good luck on the engine swap. Knowing the little tricks does help. I used to be able to swap a VW engine (1960's era bug or bus) in less than one hour. Had a special flat ratchet-wrench for the top two bolts hidden behind the shroud next to the firewall (which is behind the back seat in a bug). Could not see those two; worked by feel only. And, a simple floor jack positioned right under the oil drain worked. I still have those tools. (One never knows...) Worst one was watching the boss do it in the middle of winter, in the snow, after dark. Ah, the good old days.

Jeff, Prayers for you and the surgeon. Better to take care of this than risk further damage, I think. And, ease/remove the pain.

Lynne, Ignore my last question about where your campground is. I looked back a few posts and figured it out close enough. I wasn't sure if you were already taking a long-distance trip or just getting away for some camping. I hope you are enjoying!!!

Lloyd, Glad your daughter is doing well! That is great news.

I have a chance to possibly see a 1997 Newmar Mountain Aire tomorrow after a Saturday morning sales call (about 3 hours one-way). It is on the way back. DW will be along for the ride, so I checked rvtrader and found this, and a couple other older Newmars (97-98) all for about 19,995.

Is this too old? They are DP's. They do not have the king bed, nor the 1.5 baths. But, the price just seems so inviting. Since the retirement plan is still 3-4 years off, does this make sense to even think of getting something like this in the near future? Maybe it can be modified to add a king and a half-bath? I have no time to make an immediate purchase. Work commitments just do not allow it now. But, taking an hour or two to look every few weeks or so can be shoe-horned into the schedule.

Am I nuts? (OK, no need to really answer that one. I am. Just ask DW.)

Well, back to work. This is the start of the busy season for my business and the flood gates have started to open.

Everyone, Have a great day!!!

PS: Captcha almost got me again. Good thing I copied it first.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:52 PM   #5922

Evening all!

CWK, those were great rigs. In the end, when all said and done. It comes down to your choice. Ours is 8 years old, and I pretty much have a constant list of small things that require my attention. Appliances, etc are all 8 years old. And there are so many systems in a coach that something is always ready for work.

We went with 8 years old, as there were newer features we wanted, more slides, inverter, multi-source hot water, etc etc.. Yet with 8 years old, lots of depreciation was gone from someone elses pocket.

Steve,,,, smart car engine swap to me is a huge project. Without a lift etc. I am too old for that.

Tim, congrats on 9 days!!! Way to go, before you know it 18 will be here!

Daughter is home safe and sound, doing well. Of all days the well quit, ended up spending the day there with the son-inlaw found the foot/check/valve died. It was built into the pump housing and not repairable. However we were able to remove it, and add a inline valve right in front of the pump. Plumbing supply guys says this is standard practice. Seems to be working great.

Have a good evening all!

L.