Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:34 PM   #5923

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone! Coffee is very good today!
Charles, Newmar made some very good coach's back then, and, for me, 20 years old is what I was looking for! Just be sure it has been well cared for, and everything works! Don't forget the tires, very important, that they are not too old! And in my opinion, a diesel generator is a must! Good old DP's never seem to go much below 20K, some really nice ones below 30K! Then every now and then, you see one in the teen's! ( Like Mona! ) Mona was priced at 19,999, and the guy came down quickly for a cash sale! I don't think buying one in this range is a bad thing, and it will get your feet wet, so to speak, so when you go to buy "The One" you will know for sure if the bath and 1/2 and King bed is what you really need or want? And you won't lose money on it, if you chose wisely and get a good deal! Never know, you may just find "The One" now! It is getting the time of the year that the great deals come out, as a lot of people don't want to store them over the winter! Good luck!
Steve, good luck with the smart car engine swap! Last one I tackled was a VW Diesel Rabbit motor swap, wow, what a pain! Lucky, I had access to all the specialty tools I needed!
Jeff, I hope and pray for a great outcome for the neck problems! Get-er-done!!
Tim, great job so far on the smoking thing, proud of you! Also, the compressor may just need a bigger air tank plumed in, so you have more reserve air available? That way you work longer with out depleting your air supply?
Lloyd, a week alone??? Ohhhhhhh, I can see the Jeep now! Lift kit, 36" swampers, Blower motor!!!
Gordon, you are getting "Short" as Tim say's! Raspberry's Mmmmmmm!!
Frank, hope the CG all comes together quickly! A lot of the stuff can be finished up after the regulars arrive back!
Popeye, how's thing's going up there? Leaves starting to turn yet? Always wanted to be up there for the change, and not have to leave like when I was trucking! I used to love the fall season coming, just not the winter that followed!!
Lynne, hope you are having a great relaxing trip!
Everyone have a great day! Rail!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 05:26 AM   #5924

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Morning,
Coffee is good and I have a fresh pot going, Perqulated (sp)
Currently 61 and showers forecasted.
Day 10 NO Smokes,

Doc was very happy about the no smoking, Got a chuckle when I told him that the inhalers were 16 years old and that he prescribed them to me back then.
Wish I would have stuck with it back then. I would have had 16 + years . Everything is looking good but he said that a week before the heartattack.

Did some sanding on the repairs to the rear end. I think I found a pretty close color for the front end. I am thinking once I get a coat of clear on it should be really close.
Forecasting rain today so I might be stuck inside today working on the interior.
I'm with rail, love the fall season and the colors of all the trees, except I liked the winter the sound of a jetliners engines crackling in the cold air like below Zero. Its just the old bod can't take it any more and prefers the warmth of the AZ sun.
That's about it from here,
Those on the road be safe,
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:02 AM   #5925

Morning all!

Deb heads to the beach at 8am this morning, Need to stay out of trouble. Got enough projects that I should beable to do that.

Not much of a fall here. Well the weather is great, lots of 70's, low 80's etc.. But not pretty leaves,,,, they just sorta get tired and fall off. Guess they have been on there too long. Unless you go a hour and a 1/2 north to the mountains.

Gordon, I have to remind myself how much colder it is up there. Our grass is really growing now with the cooler temps.

Jeff, best of luck with your zipper neck. Eseentialy the same thing my daughter just had done, except her's is the lower back. Forecast is for her to be pain free and good to go. When is the big day?

Have a great day all!

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:49 AM   #5926
bap

goodmorning gang,,

the big day is set ,,,10-6-16 pre surgery 10-11-16 fusion and rods go in,,..

LOYD,,,,i pray your daughter has a speedy pain free recovery,,,---and I know you will be a good boy while mommas gone to the beach,,,pray she has a safe trip..

fall and spring are great times of the year here in ky,, and I know I'm gonna miss 4wheeling through the back 40 as the leaves turn this year ...but I should be great for the spring greening,,,lol..

TIM,,another congrats and pat on the back my friend,,,prayers still headed yer way,,,,stay with it and don't pass out...lol

did I hear RAIL correctly,,,is CHARLES looking at a possible ..the one..i will have to turn a page back and find out...

LYNNE,,,--have a great time..

catch ya latters...
Old 09-17-2016, 04:24 PM   #5927

Very little leaf change so far , I'm hearing that because of the drought it will go quicker and less color.
I promised myself I would never see snow again 13 years ago.........boy was I wrong!
Old 09-17-2016, 06:12 PM   #5928

Winnebago Owners Club
Nothing wrong with seeing snow. Quite like it when covering the winter browns. Don't overly care for the cold but since retiring I only have to go out when I want to. No having to get up, scrape the windshield and go to work. Made a large attitude change.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #5929

It's not much fun when you live fulltime in the RV.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #5930
cwk

Good evening, all.

Finally made it home a little while ago. Put about 400+ miles on the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. This was including stops at 2 RV dealers and a sales call for my business. My job essentially covers the state of FL, so I have been scouting out RV dealers along the way.

Well, I didn't find anything. (We are not ready to purchase yet.) But, I did learn some more. DW stayed home with some other last minute commitments, so this was a solo trip. I'm glad I did not waste her time.

The first dealer was a bust. I found two Newmar DP's on rvtrader. They listed this dealer. However, I did not do my homework well enough. They have 4 locations and neither coach was at the main one listed.

The second dealer had both of the listed rigs. One was a 2003 Dutch Star. It was already under contract, but I was able to walk inside. It was in the service bay being prepped. Nice rig. Somehow I got it in my mind that this was the 19K rig. I was tempted to whip out a check (which I did not take anyway). Then I remembered it was the 65K rig. Some new owner is going to be happy with this one.

The second rig was a 1997 Mountain Aire. It was... well, let me explain it this way. "Charles meet FRED." "FRED meet Charles." I had never met a FRED (FRont Engine Diesel) before. It was a 36' with a mid-side entrance and a doghouse up front. The toilet was out in the open in the bathroom which is the walkway from the front to the bedroom. Then, there was the bedroom. I had heard someone say they really wanted "a walk-around bed." I had no idea what that meant. I think I do now. The entrance to the bedroom was an opening in the wall that ran across the rig. The queen mattress was a few inches inside the opening. The ONLY way to gain access to the bed was to climb in from the foot of the bed at that opening. If I had even a remote thought of asking DW to do that... well, it's not going to happen.

I did spot a Foretravel U320 on the lot and got a look inside. I believe it was circa 2000 at $110K. Looked nice. I have read that they are well-built. But, I can get a lot more in a Newmar for a lot less $$$.

So, the learning continues. We really are not ready to purchase just yet. Besides not having the time to deal with a purchase now, we also do not know enough yet to make a smart decision. I would like to think that we will be able to purchase our "last rig first" but Rail makes a valid point about not losing (much) money on an older rig. It can be sold for just about what it cost to buy. There may be an RV show coming up next month somewhere in N FL. That may be worth visiting.

Enough about me.

Steve, How's the smart engine coming along? Jack found yet?

Tim, You better still be good. Your life depends on it!

Lynne, I am guessing that Sunday is a travel back home day. Hope you had a great and relaxing week.

Frank, I was almost near you today in my travels. I got as far south as Leesburg. Then, had to head north again. I was curious to see how some of the park is being built. You haven't shared any pictures, so, therefore, it isn't happening.

Popeye, You are supposed to move the RV away from areas before the white stuff falls. I know, I know. Mom takes precedence. So much for your promise 13 years ago.

Gordon, At least you know you should scrape a windshield to remove the ice. Quick story. DW was traveling somewhere in the Carolinas years ago and had overnighted at one of the chain motels. The next morning there was ice on the car windshields throughout the parking lot. So, she grabbed her scraper (we both grew up in NJ so we know to carry a "real scraper" in the car) and took care of it. Another lady came out, saw the ice, went back inside and came out with a pot of hot water. (Yup, you know were this is going.) My wife intervened and informed her of the consequences of pouring hot water on a cold windshield. The lady looked at my wife, looked at the FL tag on my wife's car, figured my wife did not know what she was talking about, and proceeded to empty the pot onto the windshield. CRACK! Some folks just have to learn the hard way.

Jeff, Now you know you need to stay extra healthy between now and surgery. If you show up with a cold or the flu, I believe they will postpone everything. So, please be careful. We all want to see you pain free ASAP.

All, have a good evening and a great tomorrow!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:51 AM   #5931

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone! Coffee was very good today as always!
Charles, you will have to look at a Monaco, they are very well built! The old one's like Mona, were all steel framed, and solid as a rock! In the later years, they switched to a alum. top structure, for a lighter coach, as the MH's were getting longer! In 1996, when Mona was built, the longest they made was 38' in the Windsor model, and they are not even listed in the NADA price guide in "96", it just go's up to 36'! Also, the older Monaco's had the side radiator, the Roadmaster 8 air bag/8 shock chassis, and the ride and handling were superb! I can say first hand, that "Mona" drivers down the road very easy and smooth, and you can drive with two fingers, if you want, with no play or wandering! The Foretravel MH's were very, very well made also! And they still demand a high price, as you found out! The mid to late 90's and the early 2000's, in my opinion, are some of the better made MH's out there! They were before the downfall, and the builders started cutting cost's to stay afloat! You will have to look at a lot of "not so nice" MH's to find "the one" that is for sure! Do some research on "Semi Monocoque" construction! And then the "Raised Rail" construction! That will help you with the "bone's" of the MH's, and also the basement compartments that go all the way thru unobstructed! That should keep you busy for awhile!
Bap, take care of yourself, and we will be praying for a great outcome!
Tim, keep it up, it takes about 6 months to get rid of the cravings, and to be rid of them for good! After that, you should be good!
Lloyd, you behaving!
Steve, how many busted knuckles? Just kidding!
Everyone have a great day! Rail!
Old 09-18-2016, 07:08 AM   #5932

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Morning,
Day 11,
Currently 58
Coffee is going down the hatch pretty well.
Had a busy day yesterday repainted the front stripe, 10 minutes later leaned into the fresh paint and marred it from my shirt..
That's the 3rd time I have repainted that strip.
The can of spray paint I bought Friday night is almost a perfect match to the old paint on the front end. So guess what I'm going for it. I repainted the light ring, it pretty close on the rear also. Going to try the bondo today weather permitting.

Went to a MH dealership to get the Black tank emptied yesterday and looked at that 2004 American Eagle almost identical to this one. But WAY over priced I thought @ $125,000.00 so the search is still on.http://photos.ecarlist.com/Hc/BA/TZ/.../bn/pw_640.jpg The tires on it are 285 - 80 - 22.5 Huge tires.
Going to pull the radiator out of the 64 today, went to the car show last night and really missed not taking her. By the way I walked almost a mile around the show and only needed to sit once. No shortness of breath. It was more my hips are going out I think they sure hurt like all get out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160917_113444.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	139248  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:23 AM   #5933
bap

gooodmorning my friends,,

woke up at 4;30am this morning to the sweet sound of thunder and rain hitting the metal roof ,,I sure love the sound of that but couldn't fall back asleep...so here I still sit still listening to it at 8;12..--I see a nice little nap for me some time this after noon..lol,,---we sure have needed this rain though been a long while since we have had any,,
thanks for the well wishes and prayers my friends..i will do my best to keep healthy until the big day..

LOYD,, how is the daughter doing ???--I have prayed for her my friend,,that she heals healthy and quickly..

CHARLES,, thanks buddy for the heads up on not getting sick before the date,,,and I think the hunt for (the one) is one of the funnest parts of finding (the one) ..I have always enjoyed a good hunt..lol,,,--you are doing everything the correct way and the more you look at the more you will learn whats important for you..

have a blessed day my friends

...jeff
Old 09-18-2016, 07:30 AM   #5934

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Coffee is good this morning, a little sore this morning, a couple guys worked on the decks around the office yesterday, pulled up the 2X12 flooring that was laid down(incorrectly at that) and we started laying the new Trex decking, I was with them the entire day. Got a couple of day laborers to pull up the 2 smaller decks and remove all the nails( yes, they used nails on most and screws on some). Today they are back, to finish putting down the remaining Trex.
Bap,
Stay healthy so you can get your pain over and done with, we want to see more of your handy work.
Tim,
Good job on the quitting and stay with it my friend. Good news on your checkup, and all that walking goes to show that you are getting better.
I have to say that I am gaining confidence that the park will be ready when it is supposed to. Things are finally coming together like they should be.
Well, I have to get back to work, the guys are already out there at it.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #5935

Goooodmorning all y’all!!!

I’m getting an early start today. I have to drive to Ruidoso this morning and purchase gas and cooling system hose clamps for the Clown car I’m repairing, I also need to pick up a few male Torque sockets. The Germans love Torque headed nuts, bolts and screws! I like them too but you seldom ever see them on American engineered cars. My wallet sure wishes there was a Harbor Freight or a Tractor Supply close by.

Yesterday I finally slid the engine/trans/sub-frame assembly out from underneath the Clown car. Today I have to remove the engine/trans from the sub-frame, separate the old engine from the trans, and install the new engine/trans assembly in the sub-frame. A lot of hocky-pocky engineered into that little POS. Hopefully, the entire sub-frame assembly will be ready for reinstallation on Monday.

One of my problems is I’ve never been a fast mechanic, my mechanical skills are mainly in diagnosis and problem solving which I’ve always been very good at. If I’d ever made a career of it, I probably would’ve starved since the money’s typically in speed of repair. If the book says it’s a 10 hour job, whether you finish it in 8 hours or 12 hours you still get paid for 10 hours. Unfortunately, I’m the 12 hour guy.

So Charles, a neighbor of yours learned an expensive lesson in thermodynamics and the effect of thermal shock on untampered glass. She should’ve simply used lots of cold tap water, it’s not nearly as fast but I’ve never broken a windshield with it in normal cold weather. However, using even cold tap water is not a good idea in severe sub-zero cold. Even if it doesn’t break the glass it’ll refreeze and you’ll have thick ice instead of frost. BTW I almost purchased a late 1980’s vintage FRED that I found in San Marcos, TX. However, between an uncooperative seller (he was tired of “tire kickers”), a water damaged interior from a leaking roof, and the immediate need for a set of very expensive tires (severely cracked sidewalls) I didn’t buy it. If you’re up to the challenge I’ll bet it’s still there and available for the value of the engine, which he claims runs just fine. I’d have to look but I may still have pictures of it.

Jeff, be careful what you say about your neck surgery. You don’t want to leave the hospital with the nickname Zippy or Zipper as in “Hey Zippy! Wassup?” Talk about adding insult to injury.

Tim, so it’s been 11 days today. Keep at it, one day at a time. When you start thinking about how much you’d enjoy a smoke or that you “need” a smoke, think of the realities that go with it such as cancer, emphysema, hypertension, smell/taste sensory impairment, localized smoke damage to your surroundings, and damage to your wallet. When you add it all up it just ain’t worth it.

Dang Tim, I almost forgot to mention, that repaint looks good!

The suns finally coming up, I sure do love my morning coffee. What a nice way to greet the day!

Steve
Old 09-18-2016, 08:29 AM   #5936

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpopeye View Post
It's not much fun when you live fulltime in the RV.
You are absolutely right. I lived in a 5er for a few years in the early 70's. After a couple winters it became easier to rent an apartment for the winter. At that time the winters would get to -30 for extended periods. I had skirting, large propane tanks, electric heaters and was still cold. Thank goodness it was a dry cold!

Tim - the paint looks grand. Looking forward to seeing it in about a month.

BAP - best on the surgery. Take it easy until then so you are in the best possible condition when you go in.

Finished the raspberry bed yesterday. Rained overnight. Life is grand and I hope the new raspberries like the new bed with fresh rain water. Opened a jar of raspberry syrup last night. Now I really hope the new raspberries do well!! LOL

Hope everyone has a wonderful day. Off to our motorcycle club meeting.