Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #5937
cwk

Good morning, all!

Steve, That lady was someone staying at the same motel as my wife. I recounted the story to DW last night, and she reminded me of what that lady said. "But, you're from Florida!" As if no one who lives in Florida would know about ice on car windshields. DW's reply was "But, I did not always live there." Yup, a lot of transplants in FL. (transplant = those of us who gave up the north and permanently moved south. As opposed to snowbirds who move/travel every year with the seasons.)

DW also reminded me that it wasn't a single CRACK. (She watched it. I wasn't even there.) It was lots of little cracks spreading all over the windshield as the lady's face turned to horror. The lady's next comment was "What do I tell the rental company?" Maybe we shouldn't, but we still think it is funny. Well, the lady was warned!

Too many things wrong with that FRED. Besides the layout being unsuitable, I remarked about some ceiling stains. The sales guy said that they probably would be ok if the leak was caught in time and repaired properly. He definitely was trying to downplay the issue. What is the saying about salesmen? If their lips are moving they are lying? Well, he is probably right, but there is no way to see the actual damage without opening things up. Since the rig is a non-starter for us anyway, it's not going to be my problem. I have seen the inside the wall effects of water leaks on a wood frame. Several feet of wood framing rotted/disappeared from an ignored and improperly repaired roof leak. The aluminum siding was holding the outside wall together.

Rail, Now you have given me more homework! Raised rails, Side radiators, Semi Monocoque (never even heard of that), pass-through storage, and more... So much to learn, so little time. Fortunately earliest purchase date is probably a year away according to our plans. And, possibly later. I am building a separate RV fund for both the RV and all of the upgrades/maintenance/repairs/tires/accessories/contents, etc. that it will need just to be safe and road-worthy.

Tim, Are you really supposed to be working your body so hard right now? What did the doc say? Anyway, keep up the great work on the day count. You are already in double digits. Soon, it will be triple digits. Then, four digits. At some point it will be just a small memory in your distant past and you will never, never want to go back. Take good care of yourself. You deserve it.

Steve, About the 12-hour mechanic: Quality over quantity. True, a faster mechanic may get paid more for a given amount of time. But, you smartly chose to have a different profession. However, when you do play "mechanic" you know the job will be done right. Having to redo projects because they were not done correctly the first time negates the "profit" gained for the first time.

Well, this is the busy season for my work. It is Sunday, lunch break is about over, and the paint project should be ready for the next coat. (My boss is a real slave driver some days. Ooops, I'm self-employed! )

Everyone, enjoy!

cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #5938

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
I'm not ,,,I think I'm only one in the country that doesn't have facebook or carry a cell phone....lol
I am not on FB. My witness protection case worker frowns on it.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #5939

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Afternoon All,

Had a good time camping, nice little CG but the road was busy. Water was gorgeous.

Got back Friday, WAW meeting yesterday at the range. Standing there watching the rain come down 4 turkeys walked across the range. I wonder if they know how lucky they are it isn't hunting season.

Tim, congrats on the not smoking, WOW, double digits. I am proud of you, that is hard.

Bap, I had C6, C7 fused and it was much better after the surgery. Relief was pretty much immediate but still had to be careful for a long time.

Posted choices for CG's on Meet & Greet so please go look. Bap, I will PM you since I don't have a E-mail address.

Otherwise, been busy but enjoying the nice weather.

Night all, Lynne
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:01 AM   #5940

Goooodmorning all yíall!!!

The Clown car engine replacement project staggers on. Yesterday about 15 minutes into the job a wrench slipped and I jammed my arm, just above my wrist, into some sharp part of the cars sub-frame leaving me with a flap of skin about 3Ē long and 1/4" wide and blood everywhere. I went back to my RV washed the injured area well with tap water and dish detergent and followed up by flushing it with hydrogen peroxide. Fortunately, I had some huge bandages left over from some earlier injury so after putting Neosporin on the bandage pad I bandaged it up. For some reason I lost interest in continuing work yesterday. Probably not a bad idea as I needed a day off from the project anyhow. Itís often said that any successful automotive repair project requires a blood sacrifice so this project should be outrageously successful!

And now for my rant!

Iíve taken to calling it a Clown car because I just canít believe that itís a Daimler Benz product. Back in the day when I actually had a good income Iíd owned several Mercedes and was always impressed by how theyíd been engineered for ease of service, then I ran into this ďthingĒ, this Clown car thatís a service nightmare. BAH! Shame on you Daimler Benz! I have no doubt that Iíll successfully complete the project. Itís simply one of those ďjust because you can do it doesnít mean you should do itĒ projectís. Replacing the engine in my RV was somewhat like that. However, with my RV I had no choice since I couldnít afford to pay the +$2,000 estimates I was getting to have someone else install the new engine. Believe it or not, Iím not a car repair masochist.

Thankfully, it looks as if itíll be a nice day, so after I finish my delicious morning coffee Iíll be getting back to work. Today Iíll be removing the engine/trans assembly from the sub-frame and mounting the new engine onto the old trans. Iím hoping Iíll have enough time and energy to remount the engine/trans assembly back into the sub-frame. If I can get all that done today, tomorrow Iíll be reinstalling the entire sub-frame assembly back onto the car body and then itíll just be a matter of hooking up a myriad of wires and hoses, wonít that be fun!

Hopefully, work will continue without any more injuries and blood lose.

Steve
Old 09-19-2016, 08:43 AM   #5941

Morning all!

I am staying out of trouble here by myself. It is a challenge, but I think I can do it. :-)

Steve, the wound sounds ugly. Clown car does not sound like fun. Cars are not what they used to be. Hope you get through the rest it easier.

Given I have some free time, going to sneak away Wednesday morning, and take a motorcycle ride up to the smokies. Going to do the scenic route (there are many) and stay at my favorite place. Return on Thursday is the plan.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #5942

It's International Talk Like A Pirate Day !!!!!!

If you was expectin' a joke , ya be havin' to search for yer treasure .......
(hint , I'd be checkin' me charts fer the Isle that be rebuilt)
Old 09-20-2016, 06:48 AM   #5943

Good morning!

Got some rain last night, came in a thunder storm, we need more rain. More T storms forecasted in the evenings rest of the week.

I leave on my motorcycle ride tomorrow am. Looking forward to it. Will be back Thursday.

The neighbors a few places up the road from me came by yesterday afternoon. They are building a barn to keep their Airstream in. I have a boon pole I built for my tractor to lift trusses in place. It goes on my loader forks. They aked if I could set theirs. last night we went up and we set one up there to ensure it would work,,, I can lift 23', they needed 22'. It worked.

Friday morning early we will go at setting the rest. My guess it will be a all day event. Lots of trusses 16" on center, 40' long building.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:02 AM   #5944

Goooodmorning all yíall!!!

It looks like another beautiful day in Capitan NM, though partly cloudy is whatís predicted. I hope so. Fortunately, the nasty scrap I got didnít hurt very much and other than continuously leaking plasma and blood from the bandaging it wasnít a problem. I redressed it last night after my shower and it didnít appear infected. I made further progress on the Clown car (the Evil Clown car) yesterday.

Here I am standing next to the old engine/trans assembly. The removable sub-frame it came from is partially visible in the lower left hand corner. Yesterday afternoon I continued on, removing the trans from the old engine and mounting it onto the new engine. By that time it was going on 4pm and Iíd been working since 8am with an hour lunch break. Gone are the days when I could work 12 to 16 hours straight on a project, the joys of being 69. This morning I didnít crawl out of bed until 6am, which is late for me. Iíll sure be glad when this projects over, I predict two more days (which will probably morph into three days, c'est la vie!

I hope everythingís going well with all yíall and popeye had a good talk-like-a-pirate day. I know I did, in fact every move I took yesterday evening was punctuated with an arrrrgh!!! (and a groan). I hope Tim hasnít backslid on his quest to give up smoking, if so Tim donít get discouraged, stuff happens! Remember the Marlboro Man, over the years there were many Marlboro men, but at least five who eventually died of cigarette related diseases. It earned Marlboro the nickname ďthe cowboy killerĒ.

Steve
Old 09-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #5945

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Morning,
Currently 76
Sunny.
Day 13,
I'll tell ya I sure want one "BUT" I got to do this. Thanks every one for the words of encouragement and the prayers.
Something happened to the laptop, keyboard I couldn't type on either laptop or the keyboard. Joe did something to fix it so Poof Here I am... a day late but ,arrrrgh...
I spent almost all day yesterday waxing the Old gal and I am trying the foam pads instead of lambs wool. Man what a difference although hard to handle buffer the foam pads do a lot better job applying and removal of paste wax. Help's take off light oxidation. I have gone from using numerous products to just one.
Steve looks like you have your hands full with your clown car repairs. Giving ya credit never or will I ever try a project like that. Kudo's

Cwk,
Not sure on activity I just had a 24 hour do nothing at discharge which I didn't see till 2 days after being home... Not lifting anything heavy just because of point of entry.
Went out to my brothers for dinner last night. Corn Beef, cabbage, carrots, New potatoes (all three from his garden, extra good) "Boiled dinner" Yum.
Well better get going got some more waxing to do.
Have a Great day and
Those on the road be safe.
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160920_110101.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	139438   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160920_110133.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	139439  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160920_110220.jpg
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	139440   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160920_110310.jpg
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	139441  

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #5946

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Evening,

WOW Tim that baby shines! It's always nice to see the shine but a lot of work. Next year though you will smile every time you look at it and see that baby shining.

Coffee was great this AM, weather also.

Steve, I would never be able to get it apart let alone back together again but then it's not my thing either. Lot of work, hope it goes the way you want.

Have a nice night and stay safe. Lynne
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #5947

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the heads up Tim. I will have my sunglasses on when you and Joe get to the park.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #5948

Steve
Anyone ever tell ya that Clint Eastwood looks a lot like you?

Tim
2 WEEKS !!!! Way to go , it will get easier every day.
Every time you are tempted to light one up just tell yourself "right after I wax that motorhome again" it looks like it took a lot of work !

(If it doesn't need it we all could line up our rigs so you can get started...)

Lynne
Doing that kind of stuff to vehicle is actually pretty simple , just one bolt at a time....the trick is which one comes next !
Well , it USED to be anyway. Before the "engineers" got together and decided to make it so only a dealer could do it (with an extra 100 hours or so of time) they really want to stop anybody from fixing their own vehicles.

Lloyd
When I was building , the lumber yard would send over a boom truck for truss day , way better than dragging them up !!!!! That would have been truss week ! I did it once using a power co. truck at a campground I worked at as an electrician.......we had some nice toys .
Old 09-20-2016, 07:17 PM   #5949
cwk

Good evening, all!

Taking a short break while some glue dries on a workpiece. Then, I can remove the clamps and move onto the next piece. Yup, it's our busy season!

Tim, Keep that counter going! Wow, that PA looks like a new rig!

Lynne, Sound like you had a great week camping. Welcome back to w--k.

Steve, Interesting pile of parts. Glad you are doing this, not me.

Lloyd, Have a safe and enjoyable ride. Be careful.

Popeye, And, I thought all of the pirates hung out in the Caribbean. What do I know?

Well, back to work for a little bit. I want to finish gluing up all of the parts so tomorrow everything will be rock solid and ready for the next phase.

Have a great evening, and a better tomorrow!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:47 PM   #5950

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
^^^^^ Whatcha making ?
Inquiring minds want to know.

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote