Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:52 AM   #6021

Gulf Streamers Club
Good Morning all. Coffee/cocoa good this morning. I also woke early and could not go back to sleep. Was reminded that I have not posted here in a while so here I am. Been working on house here in Round Rock getting ready to sell. Got the siding in back of house replaced and painted. It was the old pressboard paneling that was coming apart. New Hardi Plank looks good. Lots of little details that need a little spit and polish. And also starting to prepare my rent house in Taylor (20 miles east of here). House was built in 1935 and has been trashed by tenant for a decade so much clean up needed there. Will start Nov 1st with gutting and building the bathroom, then start moving in. Will still need some wiring and plumbing done, new windows, first time HVAC work. Wednesday got a laser measure done for floor plan dimensions. With moving, biggest hurdle will be moving what is in garage here. Much accumulated in last 17 years. And my wood working shop tools. Have to prepare garage in Taylor before move so there will be a place for everything.

I am getting on pretty good after losing Rebecca. Quite the transition. We were married 39 years and together 4 years before we were married. My family has been there for me and our son Ed.

Hope all out there ailing are heading towards better times. This Forum has helped me over this period and I enjoy keeping up with y'all and seeing what and where we are. Will be staying pretty close to home for a time, getting new house ready to live in and doing a re-model there. Should keep me out of mischief. And I too have Yuma Envy.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 06:41 AM   #6022

Good morning all!

I woke up in a fog, then realized it wasn't just me. Thick as pea soup out there! Glad I don't need to drive anywhere.

Hi Ron! Wow, sounds like you have been busy, and have some to go. For me busy is good. Keeps me out of trouble. Not sure what I would do without Deb, and can only imagine what you are going through in that transistion. Glad you have a support team!

Frank,,,, snowbirds are coming. Tell those contractors to not stop. They need to keep marching to the goal line.

MK,,,,, one word,,,,,, fantastic! So cool that you can retire at 50. I worked till 64,,, at 50 we were no where near financialy ready. I am new at the retirement game, (month 3 complete) but I am really enjoying it.

Oh, we filed for the passports. They tell us 4-6 weeks which is plenty of time.

Have a great day all!

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #6023

Winnebago Owners Club
Ron. Taylor Tx = Mueller's = YUMMY!!!
H-12Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:35 AM   #6024

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Morning
Currently 52,
Coffee is tasty.
22 day's no smokes, I really could go for one.
Went out to my brothers for Dinner last night Liver, onions, bacon,and rice. Had a great time, a few hospital stories and a few laughs. Dinner was very good, sorry mom but the liver was better than yours. Sorry
The lake is still high. They are making it a no wake lake starting today till it reseeds.
Did a little sanding on the PA yesterday afternoon, I must admit for a first timer the repair job is really looking better than the previous owners repairs. (Thanks, Terry, Frank, and everybody).
Got a Doc appointment this afternoon for a post check up. Foot is doing okay, Swelling is going down. They didn't take as much as the big toe, that's still healing too. The anti-bionics smell something terrible as soon as I open the bottle I almost gag. I need to take them 2 X's 3 times a day for 10 day's. P-U
I found the hinges for the cabinets in the MH @ a Big Box store yesterday, and @ 1/2 the price of the MH store. Sooo happy.
I'm thinking I might have to add a week to our departure date. that will still give me 7 days too get there.
I'll try and get a few pics of the repairs, Still need a little more filler.
I almost forgot the fridge lite right up and has been running perfectly since Tuesday.
Steve,
I think you'll like it at Rivers Edge there's a nice walking, hiken path, road, old RR tracks, looks to be class 5 fill. not sure though. We are bringing our bikes with this year and will check it out after we get there. I might take you up on the arthritis stuff. I get it bad in my hips and my left hand.
That's about it from here.
Those on the road be safe,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:03 AM   #6025

Tim stay off that foot!!!!.....we mean it.....

Ron great to hear from ya was actually in Austin yesterday while we were there we went and looked at a Vanleigh 5th wheel....really like the construction and fit and finish of the unit loved the flooring no carpet except for the one slide with the dinette...any way Ron if ya need something we're not that far away give us a call..

Coffee is good as usual..

The temp this morning was low 60's really nice...

That's about it take care all
Old 09-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #6026

Goooodmorning all y’all!!!

I got a late start today, didn’t awaken until 6am. I’ve been procrastinating on getting ready for my trip. Though my home-on-wheels is far more travel-worthy than it was when I took my first 6,000 mile shake-down journey I still worry. Even though I know that I can fix most anything that goes wrong, if not a full repair I can normally do a get-me-home repair. I’m legendary among my friends/family for stuff like that. However, the behemoths size is still intimidating.

I had a good time yesterday. A few days ago I made friends with a fellow camper who has a KLR650, the big brother to my little KLR250 dualsport motorcycle. He knows the area well so yesterday we went out for a 50 mile ride, mostly over National Forest gravel “jeep” roads. Our ride took us from 6,500’ over a 12,000’ pass and back down. We visited several abandoned gold mines, mostly placer hydraulic mining operations that were abandoned around 1910-15. On the way back there was a section of paved road circling a reservoir. I was going too fast and hit a deep pothole hidden in the roadway shadows. If I’d had a road bike I probably would’ve gone sailing over the bars. As it was, at the last second I stood up on the foot pegs and reared back on the handlebars just as I went into the pothole. The KLR250 took the jolt in stride with no damage to either the suspension or the front wheel. To say I was very pleased with my little bike would be an understatement!

Because the KLR250 is slightly underpowered for the dualsport use I put it too, I’d been thinking of selling it. Now I’m thinking a better course of action would be to purchase a 280 kit which consists of a new larger cylinder and piston. That’d give me the extra horsepower I need for highway travel without affecting anything else on the bike. I’ll have to research it a bit more before I make a final decision.

Tim, if you try glucosamine sulfate you’ll have to give it at least a few months to know if it’s helping you with your arthritis. Be aware that there’s both glucosamine sulfate and glucosamine hydrochloride. Based on European studies, where glucosamine’s benefits are widely accepted by the medical community, glucosamine sulfate is the one to use and glucosamine hydrochloride is considered a placebo. I purchase my glucosamine sulfate in pill form at Walmart.

It sounds like all y’all are enjoying the end of summer and making plans for fall and winter. That’s good and so much better than going the couch potato route. Rock on!

Steve

PS dang I nearly forgot... Tim, no dancing!!!
Old 09-29-2016, 07:54 PM   #6027
cwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
22 day's no smokes, I really could go for one.
Don't you dare!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
The anti-bionics smell something terrible as soon as I open the bottle I almost gag.
So, put a clothespin on your nose before you open the bottle.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:55 AM   #6028

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Coffee is good this morning. Weather is more of the same, cool front lowered the temps about 3 or 4 degrees, rains move in and out off the gulf.
Tim,
I 2nd Charles, DON"T YOU DARE take that first one. Good job on the fiberglass repairs, We knew that you could do it.
Ron,
Glad to hear from you. Glad that you are getting along OK, we are here for you if you need us.
MK,
They say that the VanLeighs are pretty nice units, I know that it is run by the same family that runs Tiffin.
Steve,
Glad that you had a good time out riding.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:21 AM   #6029

Good morning!

64* here, supposed to be a beautiful day, Deb and I plan to do some lake Kayaking. Local state park has a small lake that is always unused,,,, no motor boats allowed.

Steve,,, I have a Honda 650 Dualsport. It is a great bike, plenty of power,,,, but heavy when the going gets rough. If I had to do it over again, I would buy a Suzuki DRZ400. Liquid cooled, pretty lite, and does the road/offroad thing very well. Myself, I would not do the engine upgrade,,,, you still will be short on power when you hit the pavement sections. Just my 2 cents.....

My son and I are heading out on our 650's Sunday for a ride in the Pisgah National Forest.

The neghbors came by last night,,,, the ones I spent 2 days putting up trusses for,,,, and dropped off 3 bottles of Jack Daniels!!!

Tim,,,,, stay off that foot!

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:15 AM   #6030

Goooodmorning all yíall!!!

Itís 6:15am and thereís a light rain sprinkling the RV. Iíve had a tiny roof leak around the opening to my front AC, it appears to be coming from morning dew, oddly itís not leaking from the light rain Iím getting. Itís very strange, one of my winter projects in dry sunny Arizona is to calk and resurface the roof. Iím planning on using Eternabond on the seams and Dicor roof sealant. Not a project Iím looking forwards to but it needs to be done.

Yesterday I crawled underneath my home-on-wheels and gave it a stem to stern visual examination as well as a full grease job. A grease job is an unpleasant and dirty task, yet itís a task that pays for itself in future reliability and longevity regarding the RVís steering apparatus and drivetrain components. I also thoroughly inspected my tow dolly even though itís only been 1,300 miles since I replaced and hand greased the wheel bearings. Today Iím giving both the RV and the Caravan a thorough interior cleaning, Iíll load the motorcycle into the Caravan, and tomorrow morning Iíll be heading northeast to Illinois.

Iím really looking forwards to October/early November in Illinois. Simply watching the leaves change color will be wonderful. Iím also hoping Iíll have a few mid-70 degree days to go motorcycling, particularly while Iím in southern Illinois. Southern Illinois is great motorcycle country! As long as I donít catch an early winter storm on my return to Arizona it should be a fun trip.

Ron, itís good to hear that youíve been getting family support after losing your wife. The support I received from my brother and my two kids made all the difference in the world for me after Gail died in 2011.

Lloyd, you may be right about upgrading my KLR250, Iím currently in the process of researching it. The upgrade components cost about $650 from one place but I know they can be had for about $300. One thing about running on empty like I do, you think at least twice before you spend any money. I agree with you about the Suzuki DRZ400. I keep wishing my Kawasaki had about that size engine. At one time I looked at a KLR600, the predecessor to the KLR650, but the guy selling it was flaky and I didnít trust him.

Tim, congratulations on over three weeks with no cancer sticks. As far as having just oneÖ

FORGETABOUTIT!!!
Donít you dare!

Steve
Old 09-30-2016, 11:13 AM   #6031

Hello, new guy here and while looking for a thread describing what constitutes ďvintageĒ RV I stumbled into this den of ill repute, LOLÖ

Seriously though, reading the 1st couple posts mentioning morning coffee got to me reminisce about my former breakfast of champions: ďCup of Coffee and a bowl of cigarettes!Ē

Then to see someone giving up cigs in more recent posts gives me pause to share that I smoked for too many years but quit early enough so that my health hasnít been significantly impacted, yet.

Itís a tough Monkey to shake but well worth the positive change in lifestyle and habits.

Anybody looking to do it, DO IT and donít go back. I know it can be tempting, but go do SOMETHING ELSE. Lighting up only puts you right back where you left off.

I still have Coffee and now a bowl of irv2 seems to be part of a good morning!

btw, does 1996 40' American Eagle qualify as vintage?
Old 09-30-2016, 11:35 AM   #6032

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep I would say 20 years old qualifies ya.
I'm one that is trying to stop the smokes, Its tough after 42 years.
But I got to do it. Thanks,
Tim
ps coffee is tastie.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:24 PM   #6033

Retired Fire Service RVer's
RetireGuitar,
Welcome to the thread, as you can see after reading through, most of us here hve become friends, some of us have met in person and we try to look out for one another.
Jump in and say good morning everyday or as often as you can, we enjoy having new people join us.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #6034

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning/Afternoon;
Rained a bit overnight. Cloudy and cool this morning. Went out and picked the last of the tomatoes. They will have to ripen inside instead of on the vine. Still have not got my fill of bacon and tomato sandwiches.

Tim - heard a rumor and saw pictures of them doing some work on the road in Rivers Edge. The rumor is paving the streets as well as some other improvements. Supposed to be a transfer of ownership so will have to see if it makes a difference.

Started packing stuff out to the MH in preparation for heading south. Feels good and starting to get excited.

Going to make an afternoon coffee and have a rice crispy square.

Have a great day.