Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2016, 06:06 AM   #6063

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning all, Lloyd, sounds like fun, (you can tell by the soreness) have fun at the reenactment. Steve, be safe out there nice to be traveling, one of the things I don't like about being retired, when I drove for a living I liked waking up in a different spot everyday and seeing different things during my day, wouldn't mind doing it again on a smaller scale someday, (only during the summer). Bap, good luck buddy on the surgery and the recovery after, we'll keep you in our prayers. Tim, used to do shows with our custom bikes kinda a show off what we could do in the shop love the ole cars makes me sick sometimes I had so many of them and got rid of them I could live pretty well if I had them to sell now. Ron, doing two renovations at the same time will keep you busy. Rail, be safe and have fun in Japan. Well gotta get this day started
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 06:25 AM   #6064

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Coffee is good this morning. Weather good temps, not sure if it is going to rain or not, had small thunderstorm yesterday evening ,about 1/2" of rain, so not too bad.
Lloyd,
Roof of the trailer would be a good place for the kayaks. I'm not saying anything about the soreness, but will tell you that the mind and body are not always on the same page when it comes to doing things, lol. Yes, we are watching Mathew, going to Orlando next week with the grandson, so doing seaworld, magic kingdom, and a few other places(going to be an exhausting and fun week). Looks like it may stay well to the east of the coast.
Steve,
Hope you continue to have a good trip, and be safe out there.
Ron,
Hope that you get the house tidied up and sold very soon.
Terry,
Once you get Eleanor retired, then you can do that in the Tot'r and TH and see the country on a much slower pace.
Bap,
Prayers continue for you and your upcoming surgery, along with a speedy recovery.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:26 AM   #6065

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone;
Steve - safe travels. Not much will likely happen with all of the preventive maintenance you have done.

Starting the final preparations for departure. Getting the tires on the trailer balanced. Did not get a chance last year (my bad) so making a point of it this year. Windshields have to come off of the motorcycles so there is enough clearance for the car. Need a shorter car!

Hope Mathew stays at sea.

BAP - take a few days to rest prior to surgery. IMO we do better if we are physically prepared.

Only 9 days left until departure.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #6066

Hey Gordon!

Remind me what you carry in your stacker? A Goldwing and what else?????

L.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #6067

Winnebago Owners Club
A Gold Wing (2 wheel), Gold Wing (3 wheel), SUV, ski box, smoker,
Old 10-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #6068

Ahhh!

Thanks!

It is a pain taking off GL1800 windsheilds. But cool that you can carry all that.

L.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:33 PM   #6069

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Ahhh!

Thanks!

It is a pain taking off GL1800 windsheilds. But cool that you can carry all that.

L.
With a bit of practice it takes about 10 - 15 minutes, about the same to put it on. If the SUV was shorter all would fit.

We thought about having a millennium built with 22.5" wheels. Trailer is same height but the floor is lower. Big difference in $ so the decision was fairly simple.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:42 AM   #6070

Goooodmorning all y’all!!!

I’m in southeastern Missouri about 120 miles from Carbondale my first stop in Illinois. Boy, even after a good solid night’s sleep I’m still tired. Thank goodness my genny’s working well and my morning coffee’s delicious.

Yesterday was a tough day. I spent most of the day driving on I-40 across Arkansas. A pretty drive but lots of truck traffic and a generally crappy road surface. However, the ultimate worst road surface was on I-55 just south of Blytheville. It was so bad I thought I had a tire problem. A relentless thump thump thump thump thump thump thump… for about 30 miles. Almost two years ago I replaced all the aged-out tires on my RV, so of course yesterday, in an ironic twist of fate, just outside of Little Rock the outer rear passenger side tire blew out its sidewall. Fortunately, there was no other damage and I was able to limp into a gas station parking lot where I put on my spare (one of those aged-out tires I wisely kept). Man them truck tires be heavy! I’m going to cross my fingers that I make it the remaining 120 miles to Carbondale with no more tire problems so that I can replace the blown tire in a less stressful situation.

Now for some really good news, I’ve learned that on highways with relatively easy topography my RV with its rebuilt engine and the speed control set at 60mph will give me a consistent 7.5 to 8mpg! WOOOHOOO!!! FWIW the rest of the RV and tow dolly have been fine (knock on wood!).

It’s good to hear the rest of you folks are doing well. Tim, I assume that you’re still cancer-stick free. I hope so, just stay the course Tim, stay the course!

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:58 AM   #6071

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Steve,
Glad that there was no damage to the coach from the blown tire. I didn't think I40 from West Memphis to Little Rock was too bad last May when we went to Branson. I think there was one bad stretch of about 10 or 15 miles. Hope that you continue to have a trouble free and safe journey.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:07 AM   #6072
bap

goodmorning my friends,,

coffee is great...nice and hot on this chilly fall morning..

STEVE,, thank the good LORD your blow out was trouble free...could have been a whole lot worse..

everyone have a blessed day...
Old 10-04-2016, 06:26 AM   #6073

Good Morning all!

67* here!

Steve, wow close call on the tire. Glad all is okay, and no damage. Thoughts on the cause? Run over something???

I just came east on I40 across Arkansas a few weeks ago, it wasn't too bad. But I do recall I few miles of rough road.

Gordon, yea not worth a new trailer for that. Same with me, not going to buy a bigger new trailer to just be able to take more toys. I am trying to stay "legal" and as it happened our coach and trailer are 64'11". (that was not planned, just sorta worked out that way)

Yesterday I spent most of the afternoon cleaning the front of the coach. Many of the 65 billion bugs we killed during our trip in August had some part of them that turned to a substance slightly harder than a diamond, (but not nearly as pretty) stuck on the coach face. I had to use mineral spirits on some, but most of the work was scrubbing and scrapping with my finger nail. I then re waxed the front. All is looking good now,,,,, I can start adding new dead bugs Thursday when we head to Kentucky!!!

Today is grass mowning day, then I think I am going to repaint the coach trailer hitch. It looks kinda shabby at this point with the new draw bar I made for towing the Jeep.

Have a great day all!

L.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:22 AM   #6074

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Well guy's, and girls, we made it to our hotel in Tokyo, and then went down to downtown to Shibuya crossing! It is one of the most busy crossing in Tokyo! Here are some pic's! Ready, set, Go! And a pic of the Hachiko State, and a very old subway car! We rode the train from the airport to downtown and the subway too! Both pretty fast and smooth, but not a bullet train! Will get to that later on in the week! Rail!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1475590815606.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	140697   Click image for larger version

Name:	1475590830782.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	140698  

Name:	1475590846420.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	140702   Click image for larger version

Name:	1475590858719.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	140703  

Name:	1475590901280.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	140704   Click image for larger version

Name:	1475590921560.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	140705  

Old 10-04-2016, 08:46 AM   #6075

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone;
Steve - the old tire will get you to your destination. What you are describing is the joints on a concrete highway or transverse cracks on asphalt. I worked in a jurisdiction with concrete roadways and my favorite expression is "I hate concrete". I worry about flats on duals while underway so after some research put on a TPMS. The second trip out it warned me of a tag going flat. Low and behold we had a nail and you could hear the air coming out. Managed to limp to a tire store and have the tire repaired before it delaminated, etc to cause more damage. We had just filled up and were nicely on the road when warned. If not we would have been traveling for another couple hours.

Great pictures Rail. I cannot envision the amount of traffic that must be there. I have issues with the traffic in our local town with a population of 15,000.

I agree Lloyd. To get an additional 6" of inside clearance would be been about 25,000 so I will take the windshields off until we use the money to upgrade to a shorter car. If I were able to go back I would likely order the escape door.

Dentist appointment today. Should be just a cleaning as the spring appointment with inspection had no issues. Dentist not really happy with work I had done in Mexico but said it was good work. Saved 1300 per tooth for a couple crowns.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #6076
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Good afternoon, all!

Rail, Thanks for the photos. Enjoying a look into another culture/land.

Steve, Glad you, coach, and plans are intact. Keep safe.

Tim, Keep following the doctor's orders and stick to your plan.

Bap, Continued prayers for surgery and recovery.

Looks like Hurricane Matthew is headed for the east Florida coast. I just cancelled a job delivery for Thursday in SE Florida. I'm in NE Florida, so there would have been a 375 mile ride one-way towing a 7x16 cargo trailer with a height clearance of 10' through 40+ MPH winds. That is one big sail.

Predicted forecast for my delivery area (near Ft. Lauderdale) is 40-60 MPH winds and 3-5 inches of rain. And, each time I check the forecast it gets worse.

Frank, It looks like you may get some side effects from Matthew. Being on the left side of the storm track, it probably will not be too severe unless the track really turns west.

NEW QUESTION: On Friday, the winds here are expected to be 52 MPH. My cargo trailer will be unhitched, as I need to tow vehicle for other things that day. I usually park the trailer behind the ranch house (parallel to the house about 5-10 feet away). Do I need to consider tie-downs? Something similar to a mobile home tie-down? I sure don't want it blown over.

Everyone, have a great day!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote