Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2016, 05:35 AM   #6259

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks rail, we'll check them out, I got a feeling your right about plug wires Joe repaired a couple before we left
I'll let ya know.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2016, 06:04 AM   #6260

Hi Tim,

Rail’s given you some really good information and diagnostic tips. BTW distributer caps can go bad yet not manifest any visual indications. Just because your cap looks good doesn’t mean it is good. Years ago I had an Isuzu Trooper (Dodo Scooper) that nearly drove me nuts with what turned out to be a bad distributer cap. Thankfully, I figured out the problem in time because I almost swallowed my pride and took it to an Isuzu dealer. That would’ve been expensive, so very very expensive…

When I change spark plugs I nearly always change out the plug wires, especially if I’ve had trouble disconnecting them. Compared to the old metal core plug wires, todays plug wires are very fragile and often become damaged during a simple spark plug change. In addition, many engines, particularly the GM 454 V8’s get so hot around the exhaust manifolds they tend to fry plug wires. I have a Ford 460 V8 in my RV, but when I installed headers I also switched over to hi-temperature plug wires with ceramic boots because of my concerns with fried plug wires. BTW the new heavy duty plug wires cost $112 ordered online from Summit Racing Equipment.

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:27 AM   #6261

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Tim,
I agree with Rail and Steve, check the plug wires and only use the high temperature wires with ceramic boots, also check that you don't have an exaust leak/cracked exhaust manifold. The 454's are known for this, and they will burn a plug wire in an instant.

Well, we are off today to look at another Alfa MH, and have another one scheduled for Saturday. Rail, this is the wrong time to be looking in Florida, the prices are up due to the snowbirds, it is just the opposite of up North, spring down here is when the prices are down.

Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:33 AM   #6262
bap

goodmorning my friends,,,

TIM,,im thinking like RAIL on that,,,was gonna mention the same thing,,,best of luck and prayers of a safe trip for you guys

STEVE,, I'm happy you and TRACE found each other...sounds like you 2 are becoming best friends very quickly,,,--we had a golden one time and he was my blind daughters dog,,he chose her and became a wonderful service dog all on his own,,,,we had rescued him from an awful family to bad he was really old when we found him,,,we only had him a couple years before he passed..

RAIL,,,we have had a few standard poodles,,to smart they are...lol,,willie the one we have now fell in love with our sons german shepard that he was training to be a drug dog and she had a litter of pups,,1/2 german shepard 1/2 standard poodle,,,they are AWSOME dogs,,exctremly smart and loyal they actually look like irish wolf hounds,,very big and no shedding,,,the one we kept claimed DEBBIE and I have never seen such a bond between a dog and person.......actually he doesn't know he is a dog...lol

GLEN,,,great to see you on here,,,,great bunch of folks here for sure,,,,and were always happy to see new people join in...

TERRY,,,,prayers still going up for your MIL,,happy to here she is in a better place..

thanks again for all the prayers for me,,,,i made the 2hr drive yesterday to have the staples removed from the back of my neck...I had 18 of them and a couple sttches wher the drain trube waS,,,I'm feeling the trip this morning...lol

still having some issues but at least the head aches are a lot better,,,,arms are still numb cant hardly even type yet,,,,but hope and pray that goes away with more time...

GOD BLESS EACH OF YOU!!!

zipper bap....
Old 10-25-2016, 06:38 AM   #6263

Good morning all!

I am home, had a great trip. A little rain Friday morning,,, the rest of the weekend was cool and very sunny. We rode just over 800 miles, mostly mountain roads. The leafs were in full colors, fun time.

52* here this morning, blue sky!

Tim, good to hear your on the road, sorry the PA is acting up. Sounds like everyone else has shared the same advise I would,,,,, my best guess is wires also.

Frank, good luck with the coach search,,, I will watch around here.

Steve, your knew buddy sounds great. My buddy is a cat named Diesel,,,, he purrs real loud. He has been clinging to me since I returned,,,, I was missed.

Terry, happy to hear MIL is improving!!!

Not sure what I missed.

Waiting for a call from the neighbor, may haul his F550 to the repair shop on my gooseneck today. It has some sort of a high pressure fuel pump issue that has got it not starting.

Have a great day all.

L.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #6264

Glenn
Welcome aboard the crazy train.....alllll aboaaaaaaaarrrrrd!
Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

Rail
That pooch sounds like a gem ! Rare find.....

Tim
Horatio Hornblower....I have heard that name but can't remember any of the movies. Will have to check them out...arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

I'm on the complete tune up bus too. A new set of high quality plug wires can make a world of difference. Sometimes there is only one way that you can run them to avoid leakage. (My 350 is picky about that)
Sounds like it isn't getting in the way of plenty of adventure for you two though,,maybe , if anything adding to the fun??
Sometimes the trip from hell sure is a lot more fun around the campfire later too!!

Frank

If it's the wrong time to be looking for rigs there , what's so wrong with your current rig that you want to replace it so bad???????
(If you need a place to junk it , I've got some space here !)

Lloyd

So is Diesel's purring like acceleration or a jake brake?

El Zippo

It's funny how a dog will decide to adopt someone that needs them like that. Makes you wonder about just how intelligent they really are????

I used to dog sit a friend's standard ,,, he was an awesome pooch!
Just wish his mommy wouldn't always take him in for poofing before dropping him off! I think she was just trying to embarrass me but I didn't really care ,,,at the time , I was working at a campground that was part of a big Black Angus farm ,, I should have let him go out in the pasture and get rid of the perfume doggy style!!!!!
Old 10-25-2016, 05:21 PM   #6265

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Evening Gang,
Well, I made an offer, don't know if they will take it. Still going to look at the one Saturday, but i think that I found the one, if we can come to terms on price.
Popeye,
There is nothing wrong with our unit, Rita just thought that she would like to try a MH, especially because we are planning to take a trip out west this summer, and the MH will be easier on the cats traveling. The car that I got from my Dad is already set up to tow with towbar and brake buddy.
Bap,
Glad to hear from you, some of the numbness will go away with time, when they mess with nerves, it takes some time for them to recover.

If it is meant for me to get the MH, then it will happen, if not, then it was not meant to be and we are not out anything but some time and 150 mile trip.
Have a great evening all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:47 PM   #6266

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Good Evening Gang,
Well, I made an offer, don't know if they will take it. Still going to look at the one Saturday, but i think that I found the one, if we can come to terms on price.
Popeye,
There is nothing wrong with our unit, Rita just thought that she would like to try a MH, especially because we are planning to take a trip out west this summer, and the MH will be easier on the cats traveling. The car that I got from my Dad is already set up to tow with towbar and brake buddy.
Bap,
Glad to hear from you, some of the numbness will go away with time, when they mess with nerves, it takes some time for them to recover.

If it is meant for me to get the MH, then it will happen, if not, then it was not meant to be and we are not out anything but some time and 150 mile trip.
Have a great evening all,
Frank
Hope everything works out for you Frank! We really wished the one that we were looking at worked out but it didn't life goes on. We actually decided it was more important to focus on our retirement and the future. We still have many years left to work probably at least 8,760 days....
Old 10-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #6267

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Got our fingers crossed for you Frank, hope it works out! Bap, yup I agree it'll take time to heal, keep doing what the Docs tell ya.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:30 PM   #6268

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
ALFA ALFA Frank Frank Frank, I've wanted one for years, Just had one go past us the other way today. So so Nice, nice lines and really like the interiors. There were 4-5 of them last year at Quartzsite. 1 was so bad I turned around and walked out I don't get it, it was trashed. I've seen a few on rvtraider too. Happy hunting.
Still no luck on the Pa every thing suggested was done. I am finding that it runs better on the 70 gal tank than the front 30 gallon tank.
It only pops or back fires under strain (up the hills on 40) and then around 20ish to 45 feels like its chocking out, bogs down.
Its been running find at 65 but so I see the gas gauge go down ....
Depending on which calculation I go by its either 500 miles or 600 miles to Yuma and am hoping it will be done by day's end tomorrow.
Ready Gordon and Janet???? Thanks again for the info on the PA. I'll have a few months to figure it out.
Really it's probably mad at me for getting some Dust on it...
Old 10-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #6269

Evening!

Hi Popeye! Got Diesel from the shelter,,,, he was left on their door step at 2 weeks old. They bottle fed him, till I could take him at six weeks. When you pet him, or hold him for that matter he purrs real loud, sorta a loud Diesel idle!! Which is where I came up with the name.

Frank, good luck with the buy. I hope it comes through. We enjoy our motorhome,,,, I think Rita and the cats will as well.

Got my friend Marks dump truck to the repair shop today. Towing a F550 with a F250 looked pretty funny. But we made the 22 mile trip no problem.

L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11827.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	142655  
Old 10-25-2016, 08:06 PM   #6270

Ok I can't stand to watch anymore I've been reading your posts for a while now ( ya I'm a lurker ). I have benefited from several ideas so thought I should toss my two pennies if I may.

Spritz
I have had a similar issue a couple of times I found a failing cooling temperature sensor was the cause. I'm not talking about the sending unit for the gauges but the sensor that sends info to the computer. You can pull it up on u tube and it shows how to test it with a multi tester. If this is the problem it's a easy inexpensive fix, the kind we all like.

Oh yeah I love my morning coffee and usually have it while reading your posts.

Thank you for entertaining me.
Elmer
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #6271

Frank
That makes poifect sense!
And you will let karma decide.....
Those Alfa"s are nice , I never looked at one close cuz I"ll never be in that league.......

Tim
Now you've gone over my pay grade!
The tanks shouldn't make a difference , or should they?
Doesn't seem like fuel restriction would be it.
Is it carb or injected?

Lloyd
That doesn't look too strange.
Plus you're towing a Ford WITH a Ford so no insult !

Octane
24 years!
Maybe you could use a new plan??
Old 10-25-2016, 09:08 PM   #6272

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
rvpopeye ,

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

it's a carb, We also used a emery board to remove a little carbon build up from the rotor.
I think I'm going to replace the plugs and wires tomorrow and see what happens.
Thanks
tim