Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:31 AM   #6301

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning All, Great to hear Tim and Joe are "on the road again" I've seen a fair share of those transfer switches go bad. I liked the old manual switches we had in the old trucks.

93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2016, 07:49 AM   #6302

New topic!

So in spring of 2018, Deb and I are planning an Alaska trip. Leave here early May, catch the ferry in Vancouver around the end of May, stop 2-3 times on the ferry and unload to visit Juno, Seward etc.. Then summer in Alaska, with a trip down the Alcan in August. Check out Banf and that area on the way though.

Thought it might be fun to have a group. Not to follow each other around, but to meet from time to time during the adventure and enjoy. All take the same Ferry, meet at Denali, etc.. Would any of you guys be interested?

The ferry ride is 5 days if you go straight through. Our plan is 7 to 10 days. Cost for the Ferry is between $2,500 and $3,000 with a cabin, varies on the length of your rig. It travels the same route as the cruise ships, and is the only way you can see those cities on the waterway as roads donot go there.

Reservations would need to be made late fall, early winter 2017 for the ferry. Everything else you can do without reservations, or with much shorter lead times.

Thoughts?

L.

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:34 AM   #6303

Goooodmorning all yíall!!!

Coffeeís excellent this morning and it looks as if itíll be sunny today. I had a successful day yesterday. After purchasing my new dog I was left low on funds. Itís frustrating to finally get a young (still learning) hunting dog, while living close to an excellent place to put him on easy birds (state run put & take released pheasant hunting concession) and then not have money to hunt there. So a few days ago I put my Porta-bote folding boat on Craigslist and finally sold it yesterday. Now I can put Trace on some pen-raised pheasants, perfect for training a young dog.

Tim, Iím glad to hear that youíre still not smoking, great news! As for your transfer switch, me being the simple cynic who doesnít trust automatic controls, Iíd probably replace it with a manual switch. Less to go wrong! After all itís not as if your RV is your daily driver.

Rail, I wish Iíd known about that synthetic oil product you were using with chainsaws. I finally sold my gasoline chainsaw because of carburetor problems from old gas. I could fix them, but since I used the chainsaw so infrequently I nearly always had to wrestle with an oil/gas fouled carburetor, what a PITA! However, I also had a small 4 cycle generator that always started on one or two pulls so I bought an electric chainsaw and powered it with my generator. Since I still have a small Eska 3.5hp outboard left over from my boat, I may mix up outboard motor gas using the synthetic oil you recommend.

Lloyd, as Iím sure you know I took a two month driving trip to and from Alaska last May and June and would be happy to supply any info I can regarding the driving part of your plans. My late wife and I did an Alaska cruise back in 2005 on Celebrity Cruise Lines and it was a wonderful experience.

There was an earlier discussion about being too old to do it yourself. Watch out that being too old to do a project doesnít become a self-fulfilling prophecy. What Iíve found is that I can still do most anything I did 30 years ago, it just takes me longer. However, since Iím retired I have the time. Read My Life of Adventure, by the late Norman Vaughan of Anchorage Alaska. Norman ran dog sled teams in the Iditarod all the ways into his mid-80ís and climbed 10,302í Mt. Vaughan (named after him) in Antarctica when he was 89. Not the best written book Iíve ever read, but it has a wonderful message for those of us approaching a certain age.

Enough of my preaching! All yíall have a wonderful day.

Steve
Old 10-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #6304

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
New topic!

So in spring of 2018, Deb and I are planning an Alaska trip. Leave here early May, catch the ferry in Vancouver around the end of May, stop 2-3 times on the ferry and unload to visit Juno, Seward etc.. Then summer in Alaska, with a trip down the Alcan in August. Check out Banf and that area on the way though.

Thought it might be fun to have a group. Not to follow each other around, but to meet from time to time during the adventure and enjoy. All take the same Ferry, meet at Denali, etc.. Would any of you guys be interested?

The ferry ride is 5 days if you go straight through. Our plan is 7 to 10 days. Cost for the Ferry is between $2,500 and $3,000 with a cabin, varies on the length of your rig. It travels the same route as the cruise ships, and is the only way you can see those cities on the waterway as roads donot go there.

Reservations would need to be made late fall, early winter 2017 for the ferry. Everything else you can do without reservations, or with much shorter lead times.

Thoughts?

L.

L.
This is certainly interesting. We may be able to meet on the return trip and travel for some of the legs. Something to put on the agenda at the Meet and Greet.

I expect the PA with Tim and Joe to arrive today. It has been a trip for them and they will have stories to tell for years. Great that Tim has the will power to get through the issues without going back to smoking. I will certainly give him a pat on the back when he gets here.

I use a 16" Stihl saw. Had to get our son with his 24" to trim some of the stumps left when we cut down the laurel leaf willows. Our little saw puttered away without issue the entire time. I use Stihl oil and add Sta Bil to every gallon of gas we mix. The string trimmer uses the same ratio so the gas stays fairly fresh.

Steve - looking forward to meeting Trace. He looks like an intelligent enthusiastic dog. He looks very happy in the picture with you.

Frank - best wishes on finding the perfect coach for you and Rita. We liked our 5er but really like the coach. We find both were good when stopped but the coach is more fun and easier to travel with. There is nothing like asking Janet to "draw one" while driving and having her come back with a juice or water!!!! (Next time I may put it in cruise and go back and get my own!!! LOL)

Hope you all have a grand day.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #6305
cwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
(Next time I may put it in cruise and go back and get my own!!! LOL)
Well, that's how Autopilot works on airplanes. Don't these work the same way???

Tim: Keep doing your thing! Stay strong. Enjoy the rest of the trip, and then Yuma!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #6306

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Well, that's how Autopilot works on airplanes. Don't these work the same way???
We are not quite set up for auto-drive yet. Going to Freightliner next August to have the roadworthy all wheel alignment done. Then it steers itself down the road.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #6307

Tim

Great news , and a great road adventure story for you!
I have a few of my own as I'm sure most of us do.
The good guys are out there ,glad you found a couple!
Post them here and maybe get 'em some bonus jobs....
Glad you didn't let it get you back on the cigs....

Frank
There's one out there waiting for you.Keep at it !

Lloyd

I used to park the rig out in the woods behind a recording studio in a log cabin when I wasn't out on the road ( about 3-5 days a month). My "rent" was cutting , splitting and stacking about 4-5 cord of firewood every year.
Did it all with a Husqvarna ,awesome saw but the real key to success isn't the saw brand or size , it's sharpening the chain twice per tank. I always ran the saw and the gas can dry before putting it all away.......

Still raining here , winds gusting up in the 40 range and 50 on some coastal and island areas and a steady 25-30 or so here just a few miles from the ocean .
This is the second storm in a week. I think it's worse than the hurricane last week. We have been upgraded from severe drought to sort of severe?
Had a 11" deficit for the year so far and now around 6 or7".

Snow up country 6+", the ski areas are starting to see some use too with a foot of the white.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:03 PM   #6308

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Morning All,

Man Tim, sure hope you get there without any more trouble and get a chance to relax a bit. There is a place to put good reviews for any service person or place that will get the info out there for anyone to look up.

RvServiceReviews.com I used them with my window service. The one place was so darn good that I just needed to tell people about it.

It was frosty this morning and 35. Oh boy, I am not ready for this. Supposed to be 68 tomorrow. I think Mother Nature is confused but I will take it.

Lloyd, Would love to do Alaska but already have plans that summer. I need to spend some time with my sister down in Texas. Will probably be down there during the winter and not sure when we will come back. Want to look around Texas a bit. May decide to go to the Redwood Forests after we leave there.

Going to see Moody Blues tomorrow night. Love their music! Then Sunday is a birthday party for our daughter and I am cooking a big meal and making a cake. German Chocolate!

Have a good night and check back in this weekend. Lynne
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:03 PM   #6309

Gulf Streamers Club
Great news that Tim and Joe are on the road. May be in Yuma by now. And good to hear that people are traveling or planning to travel. I have been itching to get in the old MH and hit the road to somewhere. I am still working on getting the house in Round Rock ready to sell, needing some paint in side and landscape outside. And house in Taylor will be a project. First getting trash cleaned out and trying to remove the stench. The creatures living there never cleaned anything, ever. Been speaking with window companies to replace all 27 windows and with HVAC to install central heat and air for the first time. When I get bathroom gutted and rebuilt, I will move and start the rebuild process. Hoping to start moving by end of November. Well, me and Chico the wonder dog are heading out to show some guys how to play 42. Later all.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #6310

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club

we made it Yahoooo in spot and going to find my new chair and try it out and unwind its been a long haul. Yep Gordon we got a ton of stories like getting up this morning and the clocks sayin 5 :00 am and we hit the road and as 8 am is approaching its still pretty dark out side so now what. I stop for breakfast after a few hours driving and its only 6:30 am so we had to have left at 3-4
Any hooo to the chair I go talk soon and thanks again for a few rants.
Tim In Yuma . Finally
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:09 PM   #6311

Tim, great news and glad you overcame the hiccup. We are heading back to Florida in a couple of weeks. Wish I could leave my 69 Eldorado down there, but rather have it here where I can keep it garaged.
Tom
Old 10-28-2016, 08:21 PM   #6312

Winnebago Owners Club
It's true folks. Tim and Joe are here in the flesh.

I confirm Tim is not smoking and is looking very healthy. Starting to work on Joe. He has cut the number by a huge amount and just needs the final push to take the last step.

Currently 87. Wish all of you in the cold could make it here. There is room to park your rig and you will have a welcome committee.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #6313
cwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Yep Gordon we got a ton of stories like getting up this morning and the clocks sayin 5 :00 am and we hit the road and as 8 am is approaching its still pretty dark out side so now what. I stop for breakfast after a few hours driving and its only 6:30 am so we had to have left at 3-4
Tim, They are called "time zones"!

Glad you made it safely. Now, relax a bit.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #6314

Evening all!

Yea Tim! Happy to hear your in Yuma!!! Relax and enjoy!

Lynne, no problem, we are long range planning. Yuma this winter (January thru March), then next year we will winter here and summer on the trip to Alaska.

Ron, I was where you are 3-4 years ago. Just keep at it, it will get done and you will be on the road.

Popeye, I am also a very educated wood cutter. When we lived up north we heated our house on wood for over 20 years,,,, to save the money. 2009 we bought this land we built out retirement property,,,,, and it started all over again. We cleared about 6-7 acres of thick woods, which I split and sold as I no longer have a interest in burning wood for heat. My grandkids called our place Poppy's Stump Farm!!! A zillion of them!

Gordon, sounds good. Just wanted to float the idea out there and see if there is interest.

Have a great night all!

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote