Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2016, 05:45 AM   #6777

Morning all!

54° here. Big warm up overnight. Headed to near 60° today, however we are expecting a lot of rain. We need it!

Rail, we live out in the country. No cable. We do have great cell service so when we built we did not pull phone cable 900' back to the house. Therefore we use our cell. The AT&T signal is week, Verizon very strong. So we have a Verison Jetpack 4g. Works great, is portable so we take it in the rv, and we usually find good Verizon service wherever we go. There are different packages, we are on the 23g package for $80 a month. Usually works for us, until college kids arrive and sit their smartphones connected to our WiFi(cause they used up their data). Once our 23g is gone, it operates in safety mode as Verizon calls it, much slower speed, but no additional cost. So we limp along.

Gordon, I suggest you buy a Yeti koozie and go back to Yuma!

Terry, thanks for the pics. It looks pretty, I know its not fun!

Have a great day all!

L.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2016, 06:25 AM   #6778

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning,

Cold this am at 11*. Coffee nice and hot though. No sun this am but it is supposed get back into the 30's this week and it feels wonderful when it does.

A lot of my patients talk about how they used to love winter, snowmobiling, sking, ice skating, tobooganing, and then they get older and it looses it's appeal. I think as kids we tend to enjoy the activities and don't mind the cold so much but as we grow older we see and feel things differently. I am over it and have been for years.

My Christmas tree lights died. Need to go buy a new string and redecorate it so I can have lights back on it. Love it when the tree is lit. I have one more day between now and Christmas. Got to go pick up calendars I had made today. Did family pictures and different ones for every member. Over $100 in calendars but I know people will love them.

Frank, thank Rita and you for the card. That's another thing I haven't gotten around to and if I don't get it done today, it won't get done. Glad that you will be back home after the first of the year.

Hope everyone else is doing well and keeping warm. Terry, the sun just came out and hopefully coming your way.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #6779

Forest River Owners Club
Good morning. 3* here, but much less than one inch of snow. Coffee is great, along with a nice fire in the fireplace. Friday was a challenge. Surprise freezing drizzle started about noon. Our son took three hours on a 17 mile commute home. A nurse who works at a hospital on I-70 had a nine hour commute to travel 25 miles. She did not make it home. Lu Ann just stayed all night at work. I hope all are warm and safe.
Mike

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #6780

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone;
Much warmer here today. Temp about 25F. Supposed to be some wind gusts but nothing outlandish. Warming up more tomorrow. Life is better.

Today is tree day. Putting up the tree. Did some outside lights yesterday. Not a lot but enough to show some Christmas spirit. Everything we put up will have to come down before we head back south.

Fire is done and the piles of tree branches are no more. Just a pile of ash. Will take care of that in the spring.

Not so much sure of global warming but definitely agree with climate change. It has been a number of years that the winter weather has fluctuated between cold and snow to warm and mist/rain.

Thought I was really smart when we put the steel roof on the house. No more worries about replacing shingles, closed up a bunch of vent holes with ridge vents so the roof was really solid. Because of the layout of the house did not need to put any ice rakes on. Bonus. Well the winter was variable, cold and snow, warm and melting or rain, more cold and snow, more warm and melting. So the ice pack built up. No worries until the buildup sheeted off. Took off the eaves troughs or damaged them. The ice blocks damaged some of the ornamental trees underneath. So ice rakes are now installed. It has been a learning (and humbling) experience.

Getting the social calendar organized. Have a lot of family and friends to see. Not sure how we did this when we were working as we do not seem to have a lot of time when we are retired.

Everyone have a great day. Stay warm or cool as the environment determines. If you are traveling or will be traveling for Christmas be careful. Better to stop and wait a day or two than risk an accident. Entirely way too many multi car pileups out there.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #6781

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Good morning my friends....

Managed to get that old trailer to Cle ELum yesterday without incident. Nice kid. He is going to start building his tiny home in the spring. Arranged to meet up with him on my way back through to see his progress and maybe lend a hand for a day or two.

Will start loading up the Toy Box this afternoon clearing out my last storage unit. We shall see if I can get it all in and still fit the WJ Jeep.

I need to run some wiring for marker lights on the top and install new cargo lighting first. The only lighting that actually works are the tail lights. All the old wiring is there but honestly trouble shooting 30 year old wiring takes more time and effort than just putting new in and being done with it. I have seen a few damaged spots in the existing stuff and the insulation is brittle.

Can't wait until I raise the roof and add the lift. After that she gets paint to match Maggie. It will give me something to post in CLACers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post

Jay,
Hope that the weather holds for your trip, that route looks like you could get caught in a storm(not fun in a MH with straight tread tires).
Frank
The other option is to drop down to Tahoe and work my way down to I40 or through Bakersfield to I40. Adds a lot of miles to the route. As long as there isn't a blizzard it wont be too bad. I have taken the I90 route to PA in the winter driving a Class C towing 5K lbs. Ya just have to take your time. Of course you don't have a choice with all those hill climbs.

Since I will have 10 days to make the trip I'm not too worried. Weather gets bad I'll just camp out a bit.

Have had several offers from friends for me to haul some freight along the route. Tires to Boise, Fenders to Denver etc. Will have to see where my GVW and axle weights are once I have my own stuff loaded. One wants me to bring his son to Denver. IDK about that one. Most 20 somethings drive me nutz to listen too all day long & that is at least 2-3 days.

Have a blessed day and remember the reason for the season....
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:07 AM   #6782

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Afternoon Gang,
Well I promised to give you a couple pics of the kayak dolly and a couple of pics of the MH set up in the campsite, so here they are
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0711.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	146957

Name:	DSCN0712.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	146958

Name:	DSCN0713.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	146959

Name:	DSCN0714.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	146960
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #6783
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just a quick check-in. Currently 80.2F.

This is the last-push week for pre-holiday deliveries for us. Actually, I think we have it under control now. (I probably should not say that!) We still have long hours until Thursday's deliveries. Then Thursday is a marathon delivery day with multiple stops (guesstimate: 700+ miles). Will take a few days off for Christmas. DW will tell me what I will be doing then.

By the way, can someone remind me what "CLACers" means? I knew, but forgot. A search through the forums did not help.

Safe travels to all!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:54 AM   #6784

Vintage RV Owners Club
It was 12 this morning and won't get out of the teens all day. I've been living full time out of this wreck of an RV for over a year.

I got it mainly to have a warm place to sleep at night so it's still holding up that part of the bargain it was close to 70 inside when I woke up.

Still I'm feeling about as beaten up and worn down as it is. I lost someone very close to me this last summer and looking to the new year makes me wonder what new fresh disaster it has in store for me to top this one.

My main engine I think has a stuck choke not quite sure how to get it unstuck again and I don't have the energy to even deal with it. The generator hasn't worked since the starter froze last winter and I haven't had time or money to deal with that either.

I'm hoping I can get those 2 done this year. I also want a carport but 2k for that might as well be 2 million.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:06 PM   #6785
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Good Afternoon Gang,
Well I promised to give you a couple pics of the kayak dolly
Frank,

Thanks for sharing.

What did you use for an axle? I am guessing a long piece of all-thread? If so, then what keeps the thread from carving out a bigger hole in the PVC bushing? Or, did you use something else? You have me curious.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #6786

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
wschaub,

Sounds like you are having a bad time of it. Sorry for the loss of someone very close to you, that's hard.

I wish there was a way to help you get through what you are going through. Best of luck in the new year and I hope you find some peace for your heart.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:52 PM   #6787

Freightliner Owners Club
Charles, no allthread, a piece of 1/2" solid rod from Tractor Supply. the axle does't turn, just the wheels, if they wear out, they re easy to change.
Frank
Old 12-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #6788
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Charles, no allthread, a piece of 1/2" solid rod from Tractor Supply. the axle doesn't turn, just the wheels, if they wear out, they're easy to change.
Frank
OK. That makes more sense to me. Then, what keeps the wheels from slipping off the end of the rod? I see something that looks like an end cap with a washer, but I have no idea how it stays in place.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #6789

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post

By the way, can someone remind me what "CLACers" means? I knew, but forgot. A search through the forums did not help.

Safe travels to all!
CLAC="Can't Leave it Alone Club"

CLACer= Member of CLAC

Thread
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:36 AM   #6790

Freightliner Owners Club
Charles,
The wheels are held on by those push on caps, like the ones that held the toy wagon wheels on, Tractor supply sells those too. They have 2 tabs that grab the rod to keep from coming off. The carrier works very well, and lets moving the kayak around a 1 man job.
Looks like we are going to go back to Brooksville Saturday, we will boondock either at the front driveway of the park or at Wally World till next Monday, They won't let us into the park until then, We are having dinner at Dad's on Christmas day, and don't want to drive the extra 60 miles.
Have a great day all,
Frank