Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2017, 07:54 AM   #7113

Good morning all!

49° here in Tucson. Looks like a pretty day.

Our toppers are A&E Dometic brand. 2008 vintage, came with our coach. On one end, they have a small little arm about 3-4" long that I was able to grab and unwind the "spool", once unwound I was able to get a zip tie on it. This held it with all the slack in it so I could move along the cover and get the flods out of it where it wound up crooked. Then back to the arm, cut the wire tie and let it take up the slack slowly. I could ziptie the arm to the post for travel, but it would be hard to get out and of course need removal everytime you put the rooms out,,,,, there are 4 slideouts on our coach.

In the park where we waited out the wind, others with the same problem had different toppers. None had these little arms. I think the work would involve taking the plastic covers off the ends and perhaps in there you could access a drive to unwind. I did not see an easy way to tie those models closed.

This Lazy Days park is amazing. $52.89 per night for a 65' pull thru. Gorgous site, all raked gravel, cement patio, lemon tree. They even have about 75 sites here that are covered! The roads are all paved and about 30' wide. Restaurant, game room, bar and yesterday at 4pm there was an ice cream cart selling waffle cones with hand dipped ice cream for $1 a cone!

Going to hang out here in Tucson today. Wash the other 1/2 of the rig, and maybe not do anything else. We have driven everyday for 7 days now, time for a break.

L.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #7114

Vintage RV Owners Club
Good morning all 35* rain thunderstorms wind.
It has rained almost every day since the first of the year. I know that we are in a drought but a few days of sunshine would be nice
Snufy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #7115
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Good afternoon, all!

Glad Gordon and Janet are OK.

We had some pretty stiff winds and rain two days ago. Ripped some shingles up on the S&B. Yesterday's nasty storms rolled through here late in the day/early evening. We got some heavy rain for a bit with some winds, but no damage. Further north of us, in Georgia, I don't think they were as lucky. And other parts of FL got hit as well.

Today it is dry and sunny here with winds around 20, and gusts around 30+. Temps in the 60's. Glad I did not rake the leaves yet. (FYI: In our part of NE FL a lot of the trees do not drop their leaves until this time of year, or even later in the season. Much different than in the northeast.) My leaves are probably a house or two down. I now have someone else's leaves. That will probably change a few times in the next few hours.

I've been reading the forum more than posting lately. I have learned that some attention needs to be paid to awnings and slides in these heavy winds. All part of my education for our future rig. (Current TT has no awning. Just a few brackets remain. PO removed it. No plans to replace it. Saving for a MH!)

Well, back to work.

Everyone, please stay safe and be well.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:10 PM   #7116

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Afternoon Gang,
As Indy Gllenn said, we had a lot of wind, and quite a bit of rain last night, today we still have a strong wind. We survived pretty good, but the wind knocked the dish over and I think it bent the dish itself, we couldn't get it dialed in today, but the wind was brutal. Will try tomorrow.
Lloyd,
Glad that you got your topper at least where you can get the slide in and out. Enjoy your stay at Lazydays.
Tim,
Great news about Gordon and Janet.
Harvey,
Safe travels my friend, try to stop at Yuma and see Tim, Gordon and Lloyd. You will not regret the decision.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:44 PM   #7117

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning All;
The "lost" have returned!.. Actually meant to be lost. Left the computer at home as I had decided to spend time on the cruise.

Trip to FL as interesting. Took the Princess flights. That way if we missed connections they would take care of us. Ended up meaning we went the way they wanted.

Too bad we did not have loyalty with the airlines as we traveled extra miles and it seemed the planes were always full. Traveling from Chicago to FL was crowded. I had a couple folks who really filled their seats. Traveling with 5 in 3 seats made it cozy. They were nice people but seriously need to shed more than a few pounds each.

We were fortunate in that we got to Ft Lauderdale the day before the shootings. We were on the way to the port on the shuttle when it occurred. We were able to get to the ship without too many problems but shortly thereafter the city was locked down.

They made the building next to the ship a safe spot and all of the people from the airport were bussed there. At one point I counted 28 police cars next to us. The light show was pretty good.

Some of the stuff was pretty scary. Early there was a police car beside the building. I watched a white Toyota car come driving slowly around the road. A police man came running at the car pointing a rifle at it. The officer made the fellow get out of the car. The fellow had ID on a lanyard around his neck (appeared to a be a worker). The officer took the ID and threw it on the hood and made the fellow open the trunk. It was quite disturbing to watch as it seemed excessive. The officer appeared to be really stressed (observed from several hundred feet away).

Anyway we left about 5 hours late. Originally they announced there were 114 people short and we left with 30 still missing. Some caught up with the ship, others ended up returning home. Not aware if any of the people shot were coming to our ship.

Cruise as good. Weather was fair most of the time and seas were moderate. Food was good but try as I might did not gain any weight.

Working on setting up all of the stuff that we put away when we went away. Not much left to do. Weather is a bit cooler here than the cruise but we will cope.

Have a grand day.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #7118

Good evening all!

Gordon, glad you had a good time. Sounds like it was all fun.

Nice day today in Tucson, the forecast for tonight is storms, rains and high winds. Tomorrow Deb and I are planning to visit the Saguaro National Park. We were there many years ago. There is a museum there that is very cool, and it has many. many of the huge cactus that are the symbol of the west.

Our neighbors next site, have a cool work camper job. They work for KOA corporate, and travel about inspecting KOA parks. Their territory is the west coast. KOA provides the vehicle.

Have a great evening all!

L.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #7119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Good Afternoon Gang,
As Indy Gllenn said, we had a lot of wind, and quite a bit of rain last night, today we still have a strong wind. We survived pretty good, but the wind knocked the dish over and I think it bent the dish itself, we couldn't get it dialed in today, but the wind was brutal. Will try tomorrow.
Lloyd,
Glad that you got your topper at least where you can get the slide in and out. Enjoy your stay at Lazydays.
Tim,
Great news about Gordon and Janet.
Harvey,
Safe travels my friend, try to stop at Yuma and see Tim, Gordon and Lloyd. You will not regret the decision.
Have a great day all,
Frank
We will have the meet up. Cousin is in Yuma right now with her husband and their Dutch Star so Yuma was on our hit list.

We wanted to be on the road today but instead we will hit it early in the morning, southern route, less wind according to my weather channel app.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:40 PM   #7120

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Good evening all!

Gordon, glad you had a good time. Sounds like it was all fun.

Nice day today in Tucson, the forecast for tonight is storms, rains and high winds. Tomorrow Deb and I are planning to visit the Saguaro National Park. We were there many years ago. There is a museum there that is very cool, and it has many. many of the huge cactus that are the symbol of the west.

Our neighbors next site, have a cool work camper job. They work for KOA corporate, and travel about inspecting KOA parks. Their territory is the west coast. KOA provides the vehicle.

Have a great evening all!

L.
Lloyd, Ft. Huachuca is a really cool place to visit, it is the oldest "still in operation" forts in the west! They have a museum, and it was the home of the "Buffalo soldiers" It is just north of Sierra Vista, Az.

Gordon, glad you and Janet had a good trip, we were all worried about you! With the airport shooting and all!

Harvey, adjust the air pressure, and you will notice a smoother ride!

Frank, hope the dish is OK? I would think it is, and would be very hard to bend it!

Charles, just wait a few day's and you will get your own leaves back!

Harvey, your story made me laugh, i think we all have a West Texas story back in the recesses of our minds! Enjoy the "Mini-Meet-&-Greet"

Everyone have a great day! Rail!
Old 01-24-2017, 03:17 AM   #7121

It's a little after four in the morning here at Harvey's house Texas. Coffee's great, like my coffee like my women, straight and strong.

We'll be on the road in about an hour, maybe hour and a half with both of us suffering from crs (can't remember stuff). Last night I had a tough time for awhile trying to find my keys to Jane. They were hanging on the key board in the house the whole time.............hate it when that happens.........hitch in the get along isn't just about the legs and back sometimes. So we do a lot of walking in circles instead of straight lines. Cover a lot more ground without having to go quite so far.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:58 AM   #7122

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Coffee was good this morning, along with the piece of coffee cake. Got woke up early this morning, Peanut and Stash decieded that they wanted to play. Play means running from the front of the coach to the back, chasing each other back and forth. Unfortunately, my side of the bed is directly in the path of their front to back romp. It is duck and cover head to protect against full bore 8 paws doing the quick stop, bounce on each other and then take off in the opposite direction. Sounds like a herd of elephants coming, lol.
Gordon,
Glad that you are back safe and sound, and that you missed the drama in Ft.Lauderdale.
Rail,
Thanks, Had trouble yesterday trying to find the satellite, got one of them, but it was the wrong one, The wind was blowing too hard to try anymore. Today we will move the dish and see if we can get it to work.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Harvey,
Looking forward to hearing about your travels west.
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:39 AM   #7123

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good morning.......

Wind has stopped - - thank goodness. I'd like winter to come back to SW Florida, upper 70s, low 80s and lots of sun! LOL

Gordon.........Angie and I have cruised out of Ft Lauderdale many, many times. But never had the harrowing experience you had........glad you guys finally "Shoved-Off" to enjoy the cruise - - noting like a cruise.

Angie and I use to cruise 3-5 times per year and made a decision in the middle of the Atlantic on a Trans-Atlantic cruise to get off the cruise ships and buy a motor home.........that was 2013 - we haven't sailed since, except down the highway in our motor home!! LOL

We do have a cruise set for next October sailing out of Port Canaveral. We will fly there, ugh. I use to fly all the time when I worked, knew the flight crews on USAir between Indy and DC by name - - it was bad back then and seems to get worse as time goes by....not looking forward to it. As a disclaimer, I/we use to fly 1st Class all the time as I had frequent flyer miles, lots of them......now we'll be back in the 3 wide with "5" people!! (That was a good one and soooo true). And watching the news - - - - - seems to be good policy not to talk to anyone !!

Gotta go do my walk......take care everyone, have a great day.

g
Old 01-24-2017, 06:17 AM   #7124

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
We will have the meet up. Cousin is in Yuma right now with her husband and their Dutch Star so Yuma was on our hit list.

We wanted to be on the road today but instead we will hit it early in the morning, southern route, less wind according to my weather channel app.
morning,
currently 45,

Did you still want too me up in Yuma? It would be us, Gordon & Wife and Lloyd and his wife. Lloyd gets here on the 28th so maybe after that if they are interested. We could do a BBQ here at our Park. Maybe talk Gordon into making his very good Salmon Filet on a cedar plank on the grill.
A Minnie Meet & Great.
Anyone else in the area that would like too join are more than welcome.
By the way the coffee is good.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:51 AM   #7125

Morning!

40° here in Tucson! Blue sky now, after last nights rain and wind.

Will check that out Rail, not sure how far we are from that fort.

Frank, our dish is a pain to aim. Did it once at home, next attempt will be Yuma. I am hopefull practice makes perfect and I will gain "skill" with each attempt?

Harv, safe travels, see you in Yuma! Now that you found the keys!

Have a great day all!

L.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #7126

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone;
Great day here. Cool but warming up.

Time to start the conditioning for skiing. Got the bicycle out yesterday. Today I will look at it. Tomorrow maybe touch it and possibly ride it the day after!!!! LOL.

Safe travels Harvey and Best Thing about Me. Looking forward to seeing both of you when you get to Yuma.