Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #813
bap

kool looking pic lynne,,i have been to michigan a few times,,all during winter--never was so cold in my life...lol..i did go to the U.P. on a hunting trip once back in the early 90s, i stood on the bank of superior for about a minute when i got back in the truck i looked like i should have been on the cover of national geographic,,,my eye,s were frozen almost shut and my beard would have broken if i would have bent it...lol
but i gotta say it was an awsome trip, it was so windy and cold that only 1 vehicle at a time could cross the big mac. it would actually blow you sideways at a 45deg,angle,,,and the snow on both sides of the road were above my truck and it was only the 2nd week of november..
i would love to go back up in the summer some time..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #814

Winnebago Owners Club
The last time we were in the UP in summertime there were so many mosquitos that your arm would be black with them if you stopped".

When all of that snow melts there will be many breeding ponds to have an outrageous crop of "skeeters".

Old 03-07-2015, 04:25 AM   #815

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning, how's your coffee?

Morning All,

Coffee is good this AM. It is presently 23 outside and it may seem strange, but with the cold temps we have had that actually seems warm. Why is it that 30 degrees in the spring seems warm and in the fall seems freezing?
Oh yeah, we were warm in the summer.

There is a nice CG in Mackinaw, MI called Mackinaw Mill Creek campground. It is by the bridge going from lower to upper MI. Good place to visit and go see the Island. Also will store your rig for a $1. a day if you don't want to take it all the way up into the upper. Just in case you want a nice place to stay if you come back to MI in a warmer clime. Lot's of pretty areas in both parts. Upper tends to be a lot of driving in between but it is beautiful scenery.

Hope you all have a great day! Lynne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	good witch coffee.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	87911  
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:30 AM   #816

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bap, That beard probably saved the skin on your face from falling off. It does get cold. I have lived in Nebraska, Iowa, and MI and they are all cold.

Gordon, A couple tricks to help with the mosquitos. Avon Skin-So-Soft oil. They hate it. Rub it on your skin and it works great. Also wear one of those Off snap onto your clothes or chairs thingys and that helps too. We always spray around before they come out and it helps keep them away. Won't usually come into an area that is toxic for them.

Sometimes you just got to go inside and escape the little buggers. Supposed to warm up today and I would even tolerate the mosquitos just to have the warmth back.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:13 AM   #817

Heading out!!

Good morning having a fantastic cup of coffee this morning, getting ready to pull the coach out of the back yard and hook up the bike trailer and head down to Daytona Beach for Bike Week! Will be at the camp ground this afternoon and my cooler of chillies is iced down!! It's gonna be a nice break from the semi truck for a week!!
Old 03-07-2015, 07:05 AM   #818

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Morning all,
Currently +34
Feels like +23
Going up to the Forties
50ties by Monday
So Says Me.
Coffee is going down pretty well...

stumpnc, You'll be a lot warmer there than here but Have a Great time. My Brother and his family live down by You. Only been there once and that was for his wedding. Nice Country, Sure would like to try that Moon Shine
Have fun,
Someday,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #819

Good .owning all. It's Saturday and normally I ride to a local airport to meet up with my motorcycle riding friends by 7:30.for breakfast. But it's only 34 here this morning. And. I don't feel like getting dressed to ride in those temps. Maybe next Saturday. The sleet and snow of Friday moved to Arkansas.

Sorry about that. We only got 2 inches of it at my place but east about 20 miles they got 5".
And it didn't let up till it hit Kentucky. ...

I'm being lazy this morning. My Expedition Trailer friend is due up here by 10 am and we'll be finishing up his project.

Got my KLR back together and running yesterday so I went for a ride to my grandson so to see how he's doing. He's been sick.

I love riding that old bike. Good to have it running again. 86,000 miles and still ticking.

All in all, I'm just being a lazy butt this morning.
I love being retired.
I can do this every day till Melissa gets tired of it.
Ha!
Old 03-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Bap, That beard probably saved the skin on your face from falling off. It does get cold. I have lived in Nebraska, Iowa, and MI and they are all cold.

Gordon, A couple tricks to help with the mosquitos. Avon Skin-So-Soft oil. They hate it. Rub it on your skin and it works great. Also wear one of those Off snap onto your clothes or chairs thingys and that helps too. We always spray around before they come out and it helps keep them away. Won't usually come into an area that is toxic for them.

Sometimes you just got to go inside and escape the little buggers. Supposed to warm up today and I would even tolerate the mosquitos just to have the warmth back.

Lynne
I remember as a youngster working for a septic system contractor in upstate , ny the owner used to dip a rag into the diesel fuel tank on the backhoe and tie them around our necks, it worked for sure! No mosquitoes but then again no one else would come near us either! I often wonder if that was the origination of the term "Rednecks", LOL! Bobby
Old 03-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #821

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
Good .owning all. It's Saturday and normally I ride to a local airport to meet up with my motorcycle riding friends by 7:30.for breakfast. But it's only 34 here this morning. And. I don't feel like getting dressed to ride in those temps. Maybe next Saturday. The sleet and snow of Friday moved to Arkansas.

Sorry about that. We only got 2 inches of it at my place but east about 20 miles they got 5".
And it didn't let up till it hit Kentucky. ...

Ha!
Morning all, think I'll start a petition today to build a tall wall at the Texas State Line! Now they're sending rain up here, still have the 5" of snow/sleet on ground.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:51 AM   #822

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Morning all, think I'll start a petition today to build a tall wall at the Texas State Line! Now they're sending rain up here, still have the 5" of snow/sleet on ground.
Don't have the road crews from Dallas build it. It'll never be completed. And at least wait until Middle of April to close the border. We will have Texas in the review mirror by then.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #823
bap

have any of you tried the threma cell, they work great for keeping nasty bugs away,
and there scentless,,,and non toxic...

once while turkey hunting i got into alot of those little blood sucking vampire,s i found a sassafras tree and rubbed the leaves all over my face and hands, they went away and it smelled great,,lol....thats an old indian trick that works..
Old 03-07-2015, 10:42 AM   #824

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Good morning.
Coffee is hot, fresh and delicious.
Sun is shining (and blinding me at the moment) which means I have no excuse not to get things done today. Seems like the projects never end.

Have a fabulous day folks
1992 County Coach Magna #4926 Magna Carta "Maggie"
25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:06 PM   #825

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post

Lynne
Thanks Lynne; Have tried most of the bug repellents. They all work OK for a short time then reapply. I have been bitten so much that I have almost become immune to the bites, so I use nothing.

Biggest thing is the annoyance. I hate the buzzing while I am trying to go to sleep! One mosquito in the room at night and the hunt is on.

When we use the tent trailer we carry a can of Raid. Jump into bed, spray the Raid, heads under the covers for a few minutes and all is clear.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:35 AM   #826
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Good Morning and Happy Daylight Savings Time!