RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:34 AM   #9129

To all our Rv friends in Florida that may be following this thread....

Charlotte Motor Speedway has opened the campground for those escaping from the storm, it is substancial in size. Lots of room.

Also, I 26 south bound lanes are being converted to north bound soon. Those coming up I 95 this will provide relief and another path to go.

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #9130

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning;
Another hot day on the way. Busy watering. Family coming over today to pick crab apples. Need to get some weight off of the limbs.

Picking up Janet's motorcycle this morning. Hail damage has been repaired.

Those of you on the road take care. Prayers for the folks in the path of Irma.

Have a great day.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:34 AM   #9131

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Talladega I heard has opened their campgrounds too. Everyone just be smart and get ahead of the storm, crazy times.
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:40 AM   #9132

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Rita and I are fine, she worked the office till after 5 last night and I worked with a couple of the construction guys and got all the pool furnature, picnic tables and anything left out picked up and stored. There are 7 or 8 couples that have decided to stay put and hunker down. The roads are packed, taking 2 to 3 times or longer to get anywhere, Also a shortage of gas and diesel. They just announced on the news that of the 7000+ gas stations in Florida, less than 200 have gas.
We moved the coach last night out back, no big trees around us, only 10footers or less that were planted in the spring. The coach is headed East with a big tree line about 200 yards to the north, so we should be ok. We have a block building that we can go to if we feel unsafe staying in the coach.
Thoughts and prayers to all those in the direct path of Irma,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:57 AM   #9133

Carolina Campers
Goooodmorning!!!

Frank,

Thanks for the update. We are concerned for your safety, so when you can, we will be looking forward to hearing your reports as things progress.

We have relatives in the Orlando area that are not leaving either. Worried for them.

Even worse, is the concern we have for some friends in Sarasota that decided to ride it out, and now it may be too late to do anything else....

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:10 AM   #9134

Good morning I just picked you out randomly. But could you please tell me how to post a question concerning Hwh jacks ? i have read a bunch of posts but cannot find out what I need to know. Just need to put a question on here.

Thanks
harley4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:34 AM   #9135

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley4life View Post
Good morning I just picked you out randomly. But could you please tell me how to post a question concerning Hwh jacks ? i have read a bunch of posts but cannot find out what I need to know. Just need to put a question on here.

Thanks

Hi Harley,

Good to see you here!

I don't know if this the best answer, but I think it may be a good start, as I have seen these questions before there ....

Go to the Forms tab, go to the Community Forum link, then the General Discussion link. Post a new topic there and you should get some good feedback.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:23 AM   #9136

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ted,
We will keep everyone updated as we can, at least until the cell towers go out. Right now it looks like the we will get the worst of it late Sunday night to early Monday morning. As I said the wind looks like the worse will be out of the east, north east with the coach pointed east, that should minimize the danger. then the tail end of the storm will come out of the west, so that will hit the back of the coach.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #9137

Stay safe Frank...take care of Rita....

Mk

Sent from my XT1650 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
mkohler30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:39 AM   #9138

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning;
Frank - good luck with riding it out. Hunker down safe as you can.

They are predicting some showers this afternoon. Seems like the majority of the province to the west of us is burning. Friends have been evacuated. Here it is quite smoky, no health alerts but close I would guess.

Hope everyone has a safe day.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:50 AM   #9139
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Ted,
We will keep everyone updated as we can, at least until the cell towers go out. Right now it looks like the we will get the worst of it late Sunday night to early Monday morning. As I said the wind looks like the worse will be out of the east, north east with the coach pointed east, that should minimize the danger. then the tail end of the storm will come out of the west, so that will hit the back of the coach.
Frank
Frank, thanks for the update.

I read a number of comments on iRV2 that the tail end of the coach should be aimed into the wind. I guess so flying debris will not take out the windshield.

We are staying in place in the S&B. We decided not to join the mass exodus, including folks who live in the low-lying coast areas who had to leave. There are only two major roads out of Florida, and both were pretty jammed by the time DW got out of work on Thursday. It just did not make sense for us to risk sitting in traffic, running out of gas (super long lines at gas stations), only to have Irma overtake us while we are sitting in a car.

The storm should be down-graded to a CAT 1 by the time it gets to north FL. The worst should be Sunday nite/Monday morning with winds maxing out in the 60's. I will move the vehicles and my cargo trailer to face into the wind and away from trees. I may have to move the trailer a few times as the winds will shift.

Actually the worst that we are expecting are possible power outages after the storm. If that becomes an issue, we may bug out then.

Everyone, use common sense and stay safe.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:51 AM   #9140

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Martha and I are watching these storms too. We are just 14 miles from the nearest coastal waters here in Rhode Island. I feel terrible for those in Irma's path. We can honestly say "been there, done that and the Tee shirt blew away."

We left New Orleans less than two months after Katrina. Those of you considering staying "get a grip" and leave.

I think Momma Earth is mad at us all, floods, hurricanes, fires and
earthquakes all around. Wow, these are unique times we are living in.

To all of my new friends and old, be careful out there.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:26 AM   #9141

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning,

Frank glad you and Rita are safe and hope you continue to be so. My Niece Sandy is in Palm Bay, FL on the East side and she and friends are staying. I am worried. They are on the 3rd floor of a building that is supposed to be built to withstand a hurricane. I don't think they meant this one.

We may not know for days and her sisters and I are worried. I feel terrible for everyone in this path but there is nothing I own that is more important than family.

Frank, have you thought about taping your windows in case they break so they don't shatter all over inside? Not sure if it would work. Park the rig up against the building if you can to protect all of you.

Lot's of new people coming on here that have never done this before and it reminds me of 5 yrs ago when I came here having NO idea what I was doing. I would say we know more now but still have a ways to go. Never will forget my first cold shower because I did not know to turn the hot water heater on. Wow, did I really do that?

Sunny today and things look greener after the rain but still could use more. Rhubarb is not doing anything but wilting so going to cut it back again and leave it for this year.

You all take care and keep safe. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:25 AM   #9142
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I should have mentioned that we are in the very NE corner of Florida. The storm track is forecast about 100 miles to the west of us. Given the size of the hurricane, we expect lots of wind and rain, but Irma hopefully will be a CAT 1 by the time it travels the almost 500 miles from Key West to north Florida. We will wait and see.

Lynne, the good news is that the predicted storm path is on the west coast as it passes Palm Bay. Yes, the storm is wide and they will be getting lots of rain and winds. But, it will not be a direct hit. Irma should be about 100+ miles away when it passes through central Florida. Current forecast for Palm Bay at the height of the storm is for about 80 mph maximum winds. Much less than near the center. They just need to stay inside and wait it out. Prayers for their safety.

Traffic cams on the interstates in the area show very light traffic this morning. I guess everyone who was going to leave are gone. Those of us who are staying are probably at home as today is Saturday. In NE Florida they only evacuated the coastal and low-lying areas. I cannot imagine trying to evacuate the entire Florida population (20 million plus!).

An interesting website that I use for weather is: http://wunderground.com.

Type in the city/town of interest in the search box. After the current weather page loads, select the "10-DAY" option. There is a lot of information displayed in graphic format. Included is the forecast winds including direction. I used this last year to help determine which way to park and point my SUV and large trailer when we evacuated for Hurricane Matthew. We then left in the other car. It worked. The vehicles were safe. And, the huge oak tree that fell went the other way. It saved us many thousands of dollars of damage.