Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #967

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Good morning. I'm late arriving today, lots of emails to go through.

Sun is up (blinding me again), rain is gone, no snow, a little breezy.

Getting antsy because getting out there is taking so long. Too much to do. But I better get moving or I will miss the DC rally.

Terry - Saw your post about your healing process etc. Great news.

I created a blog/website for our travels once we get on the road. Includes mapping of where we have been, are, and are going so our family and friends can follow along. So you folks will know where we are too so you can give us a shout if we are near you. Would really enjoy breaking bread with this crowd.

Writing some stories now about prepping for FTing and dematerializing our lives. Some pretty funny stuff. I'll let you know when they are posted and the links in the signature will go live.

That's all for now, work to do. Have an awesome day.

1992 County Coach Magna #4926 Magna Carta "Maggie"
25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #968

Winnebago Owners Club
Morning everyone;
Snowed last night and into this morning. Made coffee and went back to bed. Laid in until 9:30. Felt really decadent - and proud of it.

Now up and snow has stopped but supposed to continue until tomorrow.

Brother and SIL over for dinner last night. Had a great time with them. Have lots of leftovers so will be a day or two before having to seriously plan and cook a dinner. SIL made a pouch attachment for the Janet's walker to carry phone, snacks, etc. Monogrammed "Walk it like you stole it" on the pouch.

I am going to spend the day working on some computer issues on one of our laptops. Seems we are getting some errors in the event log that are likely causing the CPU to run warm. Never nothing to do.

Decided to make french toast and bacon this morning for brunch as we seem to be well past breakfast. Time to start on that now.

Everyone have a great day.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #969

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Nice job, Gordon and Curtis, we don't sleep in enough. I'm happy that you could do it.
Jay,
I look forward to your blog, If you have any questions about the transition, holler, we did it in the late summer of 2013.
Bobby, the pool is waiting for you.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:15 PM   #970

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Afternoon Gentlemen,

Have a question. Went to look at a 200 Winnebago that has been in storage outside at a lot for a year. Owner had health issues and it has not been used. They now want to sell it. When we lifted the engine hood we found the oil fill cap sitting on the side. Like someone had filled the oil and forgot to put it back on. It has not been driven and the engine started right up.

Should we be concerned about this and why? Owner is available for questions, should I ask anything in particular?

Any help would be appreciated. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #971

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like it could be Old Timers Memory. I have left the cap off upon ocasion as well as left a gas cap on top of the pumps (thank goodness for the tethers now.)

Was the oil full on the dipstick? Was the oil clean or dirty? If it was clean it is likely they changed the oil and forgot to put the cap on.

If it is dirty they may have added oil and forgot. If they are adding oil it must be using some. All engines use oil to some degree or other.

Did the engine puff any oil out (blue smoke) when it first started? Sitting that long I would expect a small puff of blue smoke when it first started. I imagine they likely ran it to make sure it started when you looked at it. Nothing wrong with that.

I would take it for a drive and see how it runs. If you are concerned about the engine a small oil sample sent out for analysis could go a long way to reassure you regarding any concerns you may have.

How was the floor plan? Does it fit your needs and desires? Pictures if you have them please.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #972

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gordon,

Thanks for the answer. Just looked one time but I have an affinity for Winnebago's. Floor plan is better than the one I put money on and considerably cheaper too. One less slide, but I like the bedroom better this way. Few more miles but not too bad and a 2000 rather than the 2004. Kitchen is better too.

Where would you get the oil tested at? Does a car dealership do this or a lab, how do you find them? The outside was in need of a good wash and wax but otherwise it is clean. Batteries all look new, tires are good for another 2 or 3 years, ready to move in. The man got sick and they left everything in it and put it in storage. It has sat since then until they decided to sell it. Have it with a broker who sold it to them 8 yrs ago.

Just being more cautious than last time. I will not post another picture of a MH until the deal is all done. Hurt too much the last time. I wanted to wait but the drive to have our own MH is too strong to wait another year. I am just being cautious though. I could have driven this one up North and camped for the week. Decals are faded and peeling but that seems to be the case with these. I can fix that.

We'll see. Thank you, Lynne
Old 03-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #973

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Lynne, Its hard to say why different things happen, I agree with Gordon, most likely just forgotten to put back on, sometimes you just gotta go by a gut feeling, I try sizing up the seller how up front they are and really just demeanor in general. Sounds like it might be nice.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:30 PM   #974

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is Terry,

I am having trouble holding back. Giving up the other Winnie was the right decision though. I needed to step back and look further and learn a bit more. Research and learning continues so we will see.

Where do we get the oil tested? Lynne
Old 03-21-2015, 08:52 PM   #975

Smile Oil Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
It is Terry,

I am having trouble holding back. Giving up the other Winnie was the right decision though. I needed to step back and look further and learn a bit more. Research and learning continues so we will see.

Where do we get the oil tested? Lynne
Petroleum Technologies Group, Grand Rapid, Michigan Phone: 866-543-9244 fax:616-698-9395 . Call them Lynne, they will send you a sample kit with instructions on where to get the oil from and send it back to them . Hope this helps, Bobby
Old 03-21-2015, 08:54 PM   #976

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Lynne;
As Terry says sometimes you have to just go with your gut. I know you have had those "ah-ha" moments and you just have to go with them.

I have no idea which lab is the best but here is a link to several labs.

Oil Analyzers, Inc. - Oil Analysis, Oil Testing Services
Motor Check Oil Analysis Testing Clinic | Oil Sample Test Kits
Blackstone Labs

Do you feel the price is competitive and is within your comfort level and will give you a bit of security to do the work you will likely undertake? I have a feeling the price is very manageable.

"If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much space." I suggest if it feels right you should go for it. If it turns out to be not what you expected you can always clean it up and make a profit.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #977

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Lynne,
I agree with Terry and Gordon, gut feeling with the unit and the demeanor. I would figure on replacing the steer tires before you take a trip, I am paranoid on steer tires that I don't know how they were taken care of, the drive tires aren't quite as important, if one has a failure, you are usually ok to limp off the road into a parking lot, steer tire you are stuck where you are. Also it is scary losing a steer tire.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:03 PM   #978

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Evening/Morning

Janet and I managed to spend the entire day without going outside. Seems a pity but it was snowing and I will be able to shovel the deck just as well tomorrow. If it stops!!
Old 03-22-2015, 02:42 AM   #979

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Lynne, if the oil on the dip stick is clean, as just changed, a oil sample will not do much good. Like the others have said, take it out on a test drive, see how she drives! Call the closest RV repair service, and see if they do inspections? If it runs fine, and drives good, and passes the inspection, go with your gut feeling! Just remember, if it is a good price, and just needs cleaning up, if there is something you don't like, you can change it, or sell it, make a little money!
I bought my MH site unseen, but had a buddy and mechanic look it over real good first! I paid thousands under the book value, and have a friend wanting it when we are done with it!
Go with your gut!
Rail!
Old 03-22-2015, 06:43 AM   #980

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning All,

Thanks for the information everyone, you guys are great! Husbands only concern was the oil cap being off. Dip stick looked clean. Runs like a charm, 8.1L Chevy workhorse. I am partial to Chevy, probably because I have owned so many.

It has a bit of rust here and there on the frame but nothing excessive and nothing I can't clean up. Mirrors need painting, door handle bracket needs painting, Decals are the worst thing. They are faded and peeling. No surprise there. Again, I can fix this, it is not mechanical. All basement doors work appropriately and lock tight and are clean inside.

I agree with the tires, would do that first along with oil and filter change, coolant flush, and belt check and replace if necessary. No sense taking any chances.

Other than needing to clean the carpet, the inside is spotless. Ceilings are clean, no water spots, including inside the cupboards, everything feels firm and tight. Faucets are ok but will probably eventually replace those.

We made an offer. Will see what they come back with. I went really low to see where they are at. I would be shocked if they took this first offer. I'd be happy but shocked. Never know.

Otherwise, it is 19 this am. No snow though. It's not done yet. Coffee is good and being off w--k today is even better. Actually slept in till 6am. OH MY!

Hope you all have a great day today! Talk with you later, Lynne