Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2017, 09:51 AM   #9983
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
The floor in our Wells Cargo is 3/4 plywood. We have only carried a GoldWing trike in it so the capacity is not an issue as the bike weighs about 1100 lbs.

Do you know the tare weight of your trailer? If so you could be fairly confident to carry anything that is less than the GVWR and the tare (curb) weight.

I think that the door should be able to handle that amount of weight. On the stacker I asked what the capacity of the door was and was told 5000 lbs. Our car is slightly over 5000 but the weight is distributed on the front and back tires so in my opinion there will not be enough to cause problems.

Big issue could be getting out of the car after you drive it into the enclosure. We opted out of an escape door so it can be tight getting into and out of the car. A convertible instead of an escape door is a great option!!!
Thanks, Gordon.

Sticker on trailer says cargo max weight is: 4740#. With two 3500# axles, that should give a GVWR of 7000#, and a tare weight of 2260#. However, I have added e-track, lighting, spare tire, etc., so I really need to get it weighed for a "new curb weight."

We want to carry other items (floor jack, jack stands, tools, personal items, etc.) so that will further limit the weight of any vehicle.

I can check with the dealer and/or manufacturer to find out about the ramp weight limits. I do not want to find out by "trial-and-error"!

Getting the vehicle in and out is an issue. One thought is climbing through the window. DW will not be doing that. I am not crazy about it myself.

Another thought is to add a winch to pull it in. But, I have not figured out how to get it back out using the winch. The trailer does not tilt! At least, not on purpose. Parking on a steep hill does not sound like a good idea either. (Like we can really find a steep hill in most of Florida.)

The research continues...
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #9984

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Charles,
I was going to suggest the winch, then leave the window down so you can put the car in gear and turn off the key. Getting them out of the trailer is usually not a problem, jack the lounge up slightly and let the winch out. Sometimes you have to give a little push to get them started backwards. It really isn't a problem .
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #9985

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Harley,

I've watched a few videos on the Diamond Guard removal and they state that heating is a last resort. I may try it anyway because removing the goo seems as if it would be easier in my opinion.

Everyone,

I just finished our latest blog entry about our visit to the Vicksburg National Military Park and the battle of Vicksburg. The visit was very sobering and I thought I knew a lot about this particular battle but wow, what a series of battle and the brutality that played out here was just barbarian.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:32 PM   #9986

I popped in just in time !
Lloyd , again with the donuts !
Sure , they'll do in a pinch but...........
This here's a holiday weekend.
Bring one of those apple pies !!!!

Sure , I bring a bag full of donuts from time to time (usually at morning break time) and they love them too but anybody can bring donuts.

I've been bribing" my mechanics for years , got it down.

One time they had my rig in the shop and I hopped in and took orders for mini pizzas. Then when they were done with the rig I pulled out a 12 pack of their fave brew.

I bring mom's homemade chocolates and party mix every Christmas .
Stop in unannounced at lunch time with a couple of large pepperoni pizzas.
Trust me , this really pays off !
Your time frame is shorter so ya gotta make the bribin' count !!
Old 11-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #9987

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpopeye View Post
I popped in just in time !
Lloyd , again with the donuts !
Sure , they'll do in a pinch but...........
This here's a holiday weekend.
Bring one of those apple pies !!!!

Sure , I bring a bag full of donuts from time to time (usually at morning break time) and they love them too but anybody can bring donuts.

I've been bribing" my mechanics for years , got it down.

One time they had my rig in the shop and I hopped in and took orders for mini pizzas. Then when they were done with the rig I pulled out a 12 pack of their fave brew. [emoji144]

I bring mom's homemade chocolates and party mix every Christmas .
Stop in unannounced at lunch time with a couple of large pepperoni pizzas.
Trust me , this really pays off !
Your time frame is shorter so ya gotta make the bribin' count !!
I'm totally doing all of the above next time Clora Mae is in the shop! Thanks Popeye!
RVM#169 | Charlene & Allen | Rig: 1989 Rockwood Prestige 32' Class A, "Clora Mae" | John Deere Chassis/Ford 460 engine.
RetroGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:56 PM   #9988

Gulf Streamers Club
Hello everyone. Made the trip in MH to sister linda's outside of Gatesville. 90 miles. Sunshine, clear skys, headwind of 15-20. Think the high was about 60. Beautiful day for travel. Will be just above freezing tonight, then near 70 tomorrow and clear. Beautiful weather for our gathering tomorrow.

House coming along. Ready for rough-in elec and plumbing, then foam in new kitchen wall and attic.

Happy Thanksgiving all. Wishing everyone too much turkey and ham. I will do my part.

r & e

ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #9989
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Charles,
I was going to suggest the winch, then leave the window down so you can put the car in gear and turn off the key. Getting them out of the trailer is usually not a problem, jack the lounge up slightly and let the winch out. Sometimes you have to give a little push to get them started backwards. It really isn't a problem .
Frank
Thanks, Frank.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #9990

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Evening all,

Lloyd, if a bribe will do it, I have been baking all day and I can send them some sweets! Apple pie would do it too though and maybe some turkey sandwiches for lunch on Monday. Better than anything they probably have.

Ron, hope you have a nice visit with your sister. It's always best when family can get together.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, hope you have a wonderful time and eat plenty of great food. I know I will.

Night all, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #9991

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Evening Gang,
Happy Thanksgiving all. Both my daughters are down at my nieces in Clearwater. I guess we are having a crab boil, with king crab, shrimp, corn and potatoes. Also some turkey, probably a small breast for those that want turkey. There will be 9 of us there.Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:48 PM   #9992

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Thanks, Gordon.

Sticker on trailer says cargo max weight is: 4740#. With two 3500# axles, that should give a GVWR of 7000#, and a tare weight of 2260#. However, I have added e-track, lighting, spare tire, etc., so I really need to get it weighed for a "new curb weight."

We want to carry other items (floor jack, jack stands, tools, personal items, etc.) so that will further limit the weight of any vehicle.

I can check with the dealer and/or manufacturer to find out about the ramp weight limits. I do not want to find out by "trial-and-error"!

Getting the vehicle in and out is an issue. One thought is climbing through the window. DW will not be doing that. I am not crazy about it myself.

Another thought is to add a winch to pull it in. But, I have not figured out how to get it back out using the winch. The trailer does not tilt! At least, not on purpose. Parking on a steep hill does not sound like a good idea either. (Like we can really find a steep hill in most of Florida.)

The research continues...
Interesting conversation.

Let's pretend for a minute I was in your shoes and had a toad that would clear the sides of the trailer by 3 inches per side.

Here's the way i would do it. Winch in the front that attached to both front suspensions for an equal pull in and down. Chocks at the front that grabbed the front tires similar to what is used for motorcycles.

At the rear there would be a snatch block on each side in front of the rear axle. The cables or strap tie downs would pull the rear axle forward via the snatch block while the ratchets would be at the rear of the trailer. Then two other straps going from the rear axle to the rear of the trailer. This system would secure the vehicle in the trailer and not necessitate getting inside the vehicle.

Removing the vehicle involve releasing the rear axle straps, all four of them, two pulling it forward via the snatch blocks, and the two pulling the axle back. The trailer can be tilted back a couple of ways. Back in the day we used to use a floor jack to raise the tongue to give us clearance for the race car's low ride height. That is one option. Another is to have a set of blocks for the rear wheels of the tow vehicle. If you have a dp with HWH jacks it really becomes easy, raise the rear axle and lower the front. You don't need a ton of angle to initiate and maintain a roll back out using the winch as your brake.

One thing to consider would be the value of your existing trailer sold versus the sacrifices necessary to have a toad that fits in the existing trailer. Right now you are in if, and, & but land. When you find the coach you want and toad you want then you will have to decide whether to trailer or not. The other key ingredient is your spouse's needs. We have a Tracker with stick shift. Best thing about me can drive it. But if we were to plan on a serious long trip with many stops I would probably go for something more comfortable and with an automatic. If I had my way the only automatics I would own would involve paddle shifters. But I'm not the only one in this caravan.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:55 PM   #9993

Vintage RV Owners Club
Another Lily the granddaughter story:

My SIL's grandparents just sold their house and moved into an assisted living facility. So my kids picked up some pizza as a housewarming gift and took the girls to visit.

Lily is beyond delighted to learn that the whole place is filled with great - grandmas. And she's very excited to talk to all of them. So in the hallway she's telling every woman she sees about her most recent adventure: riding in the elevator.

Except she doesn't call it an elevator. "You have to hold onto the rail when you ride the alligator, " she says. The grandma probably needs to change her depends after that laugher.

Omg. This girl would clean up in a place like that.
RVM#169 | Charlene & Allen | Rig: 1989 Rockwood Prestige 32' Class A, "Clora Mae" | John Deere Chassis/Ford 460 engine.
RetroGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:16 PM   #9994

Winnebago Owners Club
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:36 PM   #9995

Winnebago Owners Club
Happy Thanksgiving to all our American friends. We are happy to be here to enjoy the party with all of you. Being Canadian this is our second turkey day this year. Hope you all have a great day.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:56 PM   #9996

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to all our American friends. We are happy to be here to enjoy the party with all of you. Being Canadian this is our second turkey day this year. Hope you all have a great day.

Thanks Gordon!

Happy thanksgiving all.

Ted & Kathleen
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote