Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #10361

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Good morning!

35 headed to 50, I see a few clouds.

Lynne, you are truly a short timer now. Excited for you. Savour the last days, work is kinda fun when the end is in sight.

Gas in Rock Hill, was $1.98 the other day. Didn't look at diesel. It is all about the taxes. We are Pilot credit card holders. We get the cash price, they direct withdrawl. Have had a bad experience with using the cheapest diesel I could find,,,, ended up costing me a $1,000.00 for labor and injectors. Done with that. You also get 10% off everything in the store or restaurant. And .25 cents off on propane. Pilot owns Flying J, so there are plenty of them around.

Lately I have been able to type much better. Diesel has moved from laying on my arm,,,,,, to under the tree. I have been replaced by a tree!!!!! And a fake one at that!

Have a great day all!

L.
Checked on prices here. Regular is 93.9 per liter. That's 3.55 per US gallon.

Your price in Cdn dollars is 2.61 with the current exchange rate plus bank fees.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #10362
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Open cell foam in attic and all exterior walls. Closed cell foam in crawl space. No vapor barrier anywhere.
OK. You are way past my experience level.

Are you doing this yourself? The only thing that I have read is to not apply the foam too thick at one time. Otherwise it may not cure properly and cause very bad health issues inside the house. (I read it on the internet, so it must be true! )

That sounds like it will be one well-insulated structure. That should mean energy-efficient, comfortable, and quiet.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #10363

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hiya Folks,
Let's see... 25* right now, but tomorrow's high is supposed to be in the 50's!
Yippee Skippy. Gonna wait on the groceries until then.
Anybody besides me hate pushing a grocery cart across a slushy,
half frozen parking lot? Ugh. Not looking forward to doing that again.
I'm seriously considering using the online ordering services and just pulling in for pickup on those days. A little more expensive but in the end,
worth it when it's freaking minus 2 out and the wheels of your grocery cart freeze up halfway to your car.

Tim, that's great news about the Watchman!!! Middle of January isn't that far off now. Only a month away and you'll be feeling alot better. Not great news about the kidneys though. Anything they can do? Happy Crappy news for you yesterday, Bud. Good for you with choosing loud music, instead of say.... drowning your frustration in donuts. That's my particular vice and not healthy for the waistline. Or the kidneys either, I'd imagine.

So what did your bro say about the ice houses? The old one or the new one? Probably a few weeks yet on the ice. The fish will wait for ya. Love me some fish!

I hope it was a good day at the cemetery, laying the wreaths. Always bittersweet, but it is good to care for the resting places of their bodies.

Ron, glad to hear the electrical and plumbing inspections passed. I hope your inspector is a reasonable guy; some of them are either too lax or too uptight! Code is code is code, but sometimes there's wiggle room in the interpretation. I get cold when it's below 75* too. It is pretty decent there in August, but nights can still get down into the 50s though. Just be prepared for the wind; SD as a whole is very flat and few trees, so it's always windy.

Bill, adding a vapor barrier in a bathroom is always a good idea anyway, regardless of the outer construction? The reason I ask is that we're remodeling our master bath, and while all it's walls are interior, because the room will get steamy from the shower, plastic sheeting under the drywall is what we were expecting to do.

Ann, that makes sense about the truck, I'd forgotten that you said you didn't want to have to pay extra to get the IRA check early. How old is your daughter? Yes I know some folks who are high-functioning autistics, and while some areas are just fantastic, simple things seem not so much. You certainly do have your hands full. Can your daughter travel with you? Or does travel upset her careful routine?

Lynne, good for you for being careful on the roads! Yes, so easy to just get in a ditch... it's famous in our family that we were only going 10mpg on a country road in Aberdeen, and slid sideways into a ditch in our Suburban. Nothing we could do. Fortunately (and unfortunately) that's a very common occurrence, and there's residents who just drive around with their trucks & winches, looking for folks to pull out. They have fun doing it so I was told.

Agreed, that yearly amount withdrawn from our paychecks is definitely quite a bit!! Allen surprised me last night and brought up the subject of where we were financially; it isn't that I can't look myself, but we don't talk super often about it and usually I'm the one who brings it up. He spelled out everything and we're in a better place than I thought, so that gave me some peace of mind. He's not interested in leaving the work force yet, because he's hoping to triple what we've got saved up in the next 10 years. He makes some valid points. We also talked about just getting our house sold and moving out of Illinois. We pay 4K a year in property taxes, which is extremely high. So there's that. But we've got some work to do on the house first before we could sell it. And of course the housing market here is pretty bad, what with Caterpillar looking to move out of state. That's the major employer here and without that draw, not much demand for housing in town.

Lloyd, I'm not surprised about Diesel and the tree. We used to have a tabby, named Joe. He went completely nuts every time I'd get the tree out of the garage. He would chew on the fake pine needles, pounce on the ornaments, and slept under the tree all the time. When he was younger he'd climb it and we had to anchor it to the wall, but as he got older it became this giant scratching post for his face.... we always had to pull cat fur off the lower branches when we'd put the tree away.

Roy, haha you described the life of every stay-at-home mom ever..... just add in toddler socks and stepping on Barbie shoes, and there you go.

So I went to the chiropractor this morning, and she says my neck and occipital bone aren't holding the adjustments even though I'm seeing her twice a week for the last few weeks to see if adjustments would help my migraines. My back and hips are holding the adjustments fine. She asked if I'd had an xray or MRI of my neck after the car accident last year. I couldn't remember, so called my doctor's office to find out. They'd done a CT scan of my neck right after the accident, found a bulged disc, enlarged lymphatic nerves, and a possible bone spur. That was assumed related to the accident but never directly followed up on, though; so I dunno if my doc is gonna wanna follow that up, but it's possible that it maybe has something to do with what's causing my migraines. Interesting. If a bone spur is pushing on nerves that go up into my cranium, then that would certainly cause migraines.

Okay, back to the ol' grind~

Charlene
RVM#169 | Charlene & Allen | Rig: 1989 Rockwood Prestige 32' Class A, "Clora Mae" | John Deere Chassis/Ford 460 engine.
RetroGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:39 PM   #10364

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hello all,

We made it to Aransas Pass about 4:30 pm. Nice RV park what we've seen of it. I'll get up tomorrow and take a walk around the park with a cup of coffee so I can see what they have to offer. We came in off I 35 and the destruction from Harvey is still heavily evident.

Martha and I lived in New Orleans during Katrina and the damage seems similar. I feel for these people it will take them a few years to recover.

I'm so happy that I had the coaches front end aligned earlier this week. It made a huge difference in handling. We drove Texas 183 from Austin and the road gets rough and dippy for many miles. Before the alignment I would have slowed to below 55 mph to stay at a comfortable pace for driving. But, since the alignment the coach is planted and easy to handle even in heavy wind. I'm a happy "camper."

Tim,

Hope you get to feeling better. I sure hope the watchmen brings you the comfort you seek.

Lynne,

You're gonna love retirement! I am so happy for you.

Ron,

I am very sorry we couldn't meet yesterday but January will work. We passed by Blacks BBQ today. I really, REALLY wanted to stop but we wanted to get set up before dark.

Everyone have a great Saturday!

More latter
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:08 PM   #10365

Questions answered

Charlene, Our daughter will be 29 on Dec.20th. She works part time at Home Depot as a greeter,cashier and self checkout. She does have a job coach. The coach isn't really needed. She has been employed for four years. She wouldn't be able to get enough time off for a big trip. In the better weather she takes the bus to work. In the winter we transport her. She is a wiz with computers and has the most amazing singing voice. Some years ago she took first place in a talent show for folks with developmental disabilities.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:41 AM   #10366

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning,

Cold here in MI again today at 17*. Drive home last night from work was touchy at best. It had snowed most of the day and the roads were slick. People either drive too fast or too slow. I just go with traffic. Alright, sometimes complaining about people going to slow or too fast. Coffee is nice and hot! Yum!

A couple of years back I drove into work when I probably shouldn't have considering the road conditions. Hit some black ice and went into the ditch. Tow was $175. to get out. No damage, just expensive. I was barely late because I had left so early. Probably 10 to 12 cars in the ditch along with me that morning on the one stretch. I learned a important lesson that day. Not worth my vehicle being damaged, the loss of money for the tow, or my life or that of someone else's. Since then, I will try but if it is too touchy for me, then I go back home and make the call. I have only had 9 call ins in 37 years so I don't think I abuse it at all.

Work again was a nightmare yesterday! No lunch or break, busy, busy, busy! Just really tired of it. Legs hurt when I get home because if you run for 12 hours they hurt from not getting a break. Too old for this. 20 days, 19 sleeps, and only 11 actual days left to work. Then 30 days until Florida! So ready!

I hear often from patients that you will be amazed at how busy you are going to be. The thing about that is if I get tired, I can take a break. I will control MY time better. Leave things for the next day or week if I want to go do something different. Looking forward to being my own boss.

Tim, glad the Watchman is a go. Please take care of yourself.

Lloyd, Ms Prissy is looking good. I agree on the front cap picture. I think all of us are curious how they are going to marry that up. I am sure they will do a good job of it. They seem to be doing a good job of everything so far.

Our first house was a big old farm house. It was originally built without insulation or wiring. It was beautiful and had amazing wood work inside. Bought it in April and by November Dad and I had put in new wiring to replace the stuff they had added at some point. My brother and I were putting in new windows because the windows were falling apart. While we had a window out upstairs we had a direct view to the beams in the basement. That's when Dad and I ran wiring down through the wall to wire the upstairs. Then we ran paths around the rooms to wire and re-plastered the walls. Main floor we did from the basement.

The walls were like ice first time temps took a drop. If you touched them on the inside it was like touching the outside. We called a blow in insulation company out and had them do what they do. They started at the back of the house and went around the walls. It was so cold they asked if they could come back the next day and finish the attic. No problem I said. That night the kids went up to go to bed. Two hours later they came downstairs wanting to sleep with us because it was so cold. We went upstairs and could not believe how cold it was up there. Walls were done but not the attic. It was 15* different than downstairs. Made a believer of us. They came the next day and did the attic and it was amazing how much more comfortable the house was and how less often the furnace went off. We did the joists the next week.

The spray insulation fills every hole so you have no leaks anywhere and it also has a termite retardant in it so they won't be an issue either. If I was rebuilding, that is what I would use. You will love the difference Ron.

Charlene, retire as soon as you two can. I have sat at the bedside of many people who lost someone and said: "But we were going to do_______." and now their spouse was gone and they wouldn't be doing anything together. That's why Jerry & I have taken some of the trips we have, later doesn't always come.

Have a great day all, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:29 AM   #10367

Good morning all!

Brrrrrrrrrr! 26 here, a few clouds.

Sorry your days have been so bad Lynne. Your descriptions sound just like our daughters. She is the ER Charge Nurse in the local hospital. They are way under staffed,,,, and management keeps it that way. She runs ragged. 11 to go, awesome!

Charlie, glad your coach is handling so well. Money well spent. Enjoy your stay in Texas.

Called yesterday to the tire dealer Ms Prissy's repair shop uses. They have lots of experience working with the FMCA tire program. They do most of the tire work for all the NASCAR teams and their coaches. Interesting program, can't seem to match the prices anywhere. To use the program, you call a 800 # at Michelin and give them your FMCA # and credit card #. Then you call your dealer and setup for the tires. The dealer confirms with Michelin and then does the work. Michelin bills us directly. Our repair shop visits the tire shop weekly. They will take care of getting the wheels there, on and off the coach etc. no charge. Sounds like a plan.

Got to run, site # 1 has no water, their hose froze. Their new heated hose,,,,,, is in the box. LOL

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:32 AM   #10368

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good evening everyone!
Lynne, the 110 year old farm house i used to live in, when i moved in, Vicki, had a lamp in front of the old mercury thermostat so the furnace would shut off! Man that house was cold! I went down in the basement and it was nice and warm down there? So i looked at the forced air furnace, and all of the ducts had gaping holes in all of the runners! So the next few days my son Wes and i spent filling the holes and wrapping the ducts with insulation, what a difference that made! The heat actually got up stairs! And we could finally move that lamp! We had the blown in insulation in the walls too, but found out it had settled and the top of the walls there was nothing, and had a new co. out and they did the foam, and that filled every void and worked very well!
Man it has been cold back in the state's! 26* Lloyd? Wow, heated water hose in SC? Ohhhhhh!
Everyone have a great day, and stay warm! Rail!
Old 12-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #10369

Meanwhile in Yuma, coffee's great, I prefer Yuban Dark Roast and it was on sale the other day, 50% of what we pay in Texas when we can find it. I'm wearing a T shirt, as always, red even. It's a little nippy in the coach but Glenda sleeps in and turning on the furnace would make it uncomfortable for her sleeping. I'm a big boy and can take 50 degree weather when I have to.

Gas here is less than $2.30 most places and diesel runs from $2.65 to $3.14 on the freeway. The kicker has been the wind, literally. I haven't had to put the awning up, we're sheltered a little bit and I have it pretty well secured. Gusts have been in the thirties and most of the stuff has stayed put.

Last night the sirens were going off around the neighborhood. The parade of vehicles all decorated paraded up and down the streets with the police offering traffic control and music to show off by. It's a pretty big deal and very entertaining. We hope to next year have something in the parade.

Lloyd keep up with the photos of Miss Prissy's rehab. It's an amazing journey.

Let's hope the health issues gets the cease and desist order that was issued. The weather however is a different department.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #10370

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Evening Gang,
Well almost evening,Lol. Beautiful day here,started out in the mid 50s and ended in the mid 70s with partly cloudy skies(meaning mostly sun).
Lynne,
Can't wait for you guys to get here. Looking forward to showing you guys around and taking Jerry golfing. Also showing you all the hot spots around, some good , some excellent, some you probably won't go back to, Lol, but I'll let you determine that.
Have a great evening all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #10371

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Evening Everyone;
Had a great telephone conversation with Joe and Tim last night. Good things will be coming their way I am sure. Tim is very pretty positive as is Joe. We are still hoping they will make it to Yuma, but M&G for sure.

Burned the brush pile today. Temperature was around freezing so a very pleasant day. Kept nice and warm as it burned. Unfortunately Janet said I stood too close as I came in smelling very smoky. Close to the laundry, Gordon to the shower and all is as it should be now.

Motorcycle club meeting tomorrow. Could ride if the bike was here but there is about 500 feet of very icy road from our house to pavement. Santas Anonymous (local organization providing gifts for disadvantaged children) had a couple guys delivering parcels with their motorcycles.

Have a great evening and grand day tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:38 PM   #10372

Greetings all

Years ago we had insulation blown in our home. Thought I was going to die because the house was so hot. Probably was wearing a tee shirt. Then our bodies adjusted. Years later we had our basement done. Love our low heating bills for our 2&1/2 story house. Dh put grey foil insulation on the ceiling of our attic. It is very neat looking with the aluminum heat tape at each seam. We have a space heater in the attic which hardly gets used. Today we got our IRA check. Monday we will be off to the bank and our insurance agent. Wednesday is our pickup day. Stopped at AutoZone for a locking gas cap and a k&n filter. So nice the dealership will send the shuttle driver to pick us up. It is a two hr. round trip. Went out to Sams club and Aldi today. Lots of people out shopping but we were able to get out of the stores quickly.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:13 PM   #10373

Carolina Campers
Good evening to you good folks!

Been busy.

We pulled all the carpet upstairs, scraped all the ceilings, skimmed and sanded them, then painted the entire upstairs ceilings.

Next week we are starting the painting in the two guest bedrooms, moving into the stairwell, then the bonus room, then onto the master bedroom.

We are leaving the guest bath and the master bathroom till last. That’s because we are doing extensive remodeling in each.

Hope everyone is enjoying life.

Ted & Kathleen
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:35 AM   #10374

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning,

Coffee is great this morning but I am hoping after retirement I can adjust to not getting up at 4:30am. Habit even on my days off.

Cold still but 24* this am. Everything is covered in snow right now and they are predicting 42* for Tuesday. Could all be gone. I really only ever want snow for Christmas day and then it can go away. Course there is the factor that it adds water to the water level which we always seem to need in the summer when crops are growing.

Hope all are having a good day and staying healthy. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote

« Total Rebuild | - »