Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:48 PM   #1289

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Lynne,
Very nice, but you forget that you touch peoples lives everyday and most you make their lives a tad better than before you were there.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #1290

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
bap,
that was not directed at you just a general blanket.
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #1291

Lynne, so many years ago I had thoughts on that line. Not with unlimited funds but with being able to teach people how to do things for themselves. I wish that Sally would have listened to me after we bought that house upstate and let me find some young couple that was struggling and let them rent it for a few hundred dollars a month, it would have taken the burden of the taxes off of us and we could have reserved part of it for the little we used it. Also they ideally would have done minor maintainance on it or notified us so I could have taken care of it. Example would be if they told me the roof started leaking , I would have taken care of it! Now it is useless as the damage done is not worth fixing with the mold and rotted wood after 4-5 years of us not going there since her grandson Joe commited suicide. Such a waste after paying nearly $100000 in taxes on a property we paid only $27000 for. It was a cute 3 bedroom house when we bought it. The few weeks a year that we went up there I spent at least 2 days clearing grass and weeds so everyone else that came could enjoy it. It could have been much different now , and maybe we could have helped somebody else out while benefitting ourselves! I know I would have been much happier going up there to a cut lawn and riding the trike or having some other fun , rather then working my butt off. Just seems a shame, I worked up there when I was a kid and saw many older folks that had to walk away from their property when Kolmar Labs shut down in Port Jervis, NY. Some of them had the property in their families for 4-5 generations, but after working 20-25 years for minimum wages, even owning the property "Free and Clear" , their SS checks didn't cover their needs and the taxes, so they just left! So much for the 'American Dream"! I don't have children of my own and would be happy just to pass some of the things I learned to do in my life, tried to do that with her grandson but now that is done. Just think I should get rid of everything and go away in the MH now! Sorry for ranting , just feeling a little low. Bobby
Old 04-19-2015, 09:40 PM   #1292

Keep your chin up Bobby, You do what you have to do and then let it go. You will make yourself crazy if you don't.
Frank
Old 04-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #1293
bap

LYNNE,, mike is in our prayers for sure,,,what part of west viginia..? we live in the tri state are of ky,oh, and wva..
i havent been on line since saterday morning and so much has happened in that short time...my friends dad passed,lou garrets,,i didnt realize how fast that could take such a strong man ...he found out last august ...
....my prayers are with all of you...happy to hear janet is feeling better..
and spritz,..its all good,,just didnt understand ....lol
Old 04-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #1294

Winnebago Owners Club
Morning all. Going to be a grand day here today.

Bobby - sorry you are feeling low. We can always second guess ourselves. Hopefully we will use that information to make different decisions in the future. Did not say better decisions because at the time you made the decision it was the best one for you. Can never tell how a decision will turn out and can not go back to change it to see if there is a better outcome. Bad that things turned out less than optimal but at the time it was the best decision given the circumstances. Janet keeps telling me that everything comes out as it does for a reason.

Saw my first robin yesterday. I think it is the bird that builds his nest in the spruce tree in front of our house and spends his time tryng to chase himself away in our front window. Tried all kinds of things to stop him. Put ribbons in the trees, hung CD for the reflection, set a plastic owl on the planter, taped hawk and owl silouettes in the window. The window was covered with bird poop, mud and all kinds of flutter marks. Finally took a black plastic bag and taped over the window. I think he moved to a different window for a while but it was like commuting to w**k for him so it did not last long.

Staples are coming out today. I offered to use the side cutters to save a trip to the clinic but Janet declined. I guess they have a special tool to remove them. We are excited about the removal as it marks another milestone in the recovery. Probably have lunch while we are out.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #1295

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Gordon, taking the staples out sounds horrible but you hardly feel it, at least in my cases. I also had a bird that did that only on the mirror of my truck like you said it makes a mess. have a good lunch.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #1296

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Good Morning

Hope this day finds you all happy, well or on the mend.

Bobby - Sad about your place. Water sure can do a lot of damage if left to itself. With the bad memories you folks have there, and the damage done, if it were me I'd sell it off and fund my life with it before the taxes ate me alive.

Folks all over this country lose their property to taxes. Thats just wrong. Especially for sr citizens on a fixed income. They should never be so high in the first place, but those sr's should be exempt if they don't have the means to pay. Because of property taxes we never really own our land do we. Another reason we are selling the S&B and sold the shop. Taxes are more than the mortgage payments. 10 acres in Oklahoma is just $400/yr.

Gordon - The good news just keeps coming about Janet. Warms my heart to read those posts. Shes about to get her life back.

I can't believe she wouldn't let you remove the staples. How hard can it be?

When I was in the Poconos for 2 years the birds would always attack the windows during nesting season. I printed out photos of an owl native to the area and taped one to the inside of every window. That stopped them from crashing into them all day. Mostly I was worried they would break their neck doing it.

Lynne - You do touch peoples lives every day and with your upbeat personality and kind heart I'm sure you are a ray sunshine to them every day. We should all be so blessed to have that effect on others. The reward is in the knowing you made a difference. Patty was an RN for 30 years. Shes a nurturer and misses it dearly. Empty nest ain't helping that either. Funny thing is, despite being the motherly type, she is always telling me "I'm not your mother" when I leave something laying about. I tell her I'm just trying to help her feel needed. Oh the stink eye that gets me.

Have a great day folks. I have to see if I can raise some more money for the Liberty Farms project today.
1992 County Coach Magna #4926 Magna Carta "Maggie"
25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #1297

Good Afternoon Gang,
Had a good morning, said good bye to another camper, park is really bare now, went to post office and bank, then stopped for a nice breakfast. They were starting to cut trees out on the other side of the lake, so the renovations have begun, Yeah.
Supposed to storm this morning so I didn't start on anything, and wouldn't you know it, nothing so far, did get my reservations made for June in Ohio, so got something accomplished today, lol.
Jay,
Good luck on your fund raising.
Gordon, tell Janet that all they use is a pair of nippers to remove the staples, I can help you out there, lol.
Have some kind of crane walking around the park, has a bright red tuff oh top of his head, he is not afraid of anything, drove within a couple foot of him coming in from breakfast and he didn't even flinch. He is looking for food, Rita took some seed out for him, he ate it all, then wondered away.
Frank
Old 04-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #1298

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Frank, are expanding the park? making more room for sites?
Old 04-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #1299

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
I can't believe she wouldn't let you remove the staples. How hard can it be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Gordon, tell Janet that all they use is a pair of nippers to remove the staples, I can help you out there, lol.
Hi Jay and Frank;
I could'nt believe it myself. As it turns out it is really easy. The nurse used a pair of disposable pliars almost like tweezers. I really could have done it. Before I could catch her she had thrown them in the needle disposal bin. Otherwise I would have asked for them. LOL
Old 04-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #1300

Terry,
Yes, the park was just bought by a guy that has another park about an hour and a half north of here. He is going to concrete the pads , install city sewer lines redo the water and electric and pave the roads. Next phase is to add sites behind the park eventually to hold park models. Then add more sites to the front of the park. I think that the tree guys are just doing the cutting up front right now till after everyone leaves, then they will move into the park and remove the trees that need to be taken down. Going to be a whole new look next fall.
Frank
Old 04-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #1301

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Frank, wow, that sounds pretty aggressive, hope it doesn't push the prices too high. Sounds nice though.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #1302

Terry,
I don't think the prices will go up a whole lot, the area won't support much more. These plans have been in the works for a few years, but funding was a problem. Also Florida is atrocious for trying to get the proper permits, It took over 2 years just to get the permits to run the city sewer lines. They have to add sites to make the park profitable, there isn't a lot of traffic from May to October. Also the longer you stay the cheaper the rates., and if you stay 6 months and a day, then the state taxes go away, which is a big savings.
Frank