Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:11 PM   #1317

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Thanks guys,

Here I was thinking that there was a crank you had to crank to lower the front and then the back. I was thinking with my back and neck and the husbands bad shoulders this would be a nono. I will all one of the places that has that posted to confirm and then continue the search.

Wuw, relieves my mind. Hope everyone is feeling better. We actually had some white stuff blow in for a bit this am. No accumulation thank God! Lynne
Lynne - that would be something on your list to clarify for sure. Stranger things have happened. There are so many units out there and so many fellows who customize (read that as taking the easy way for a cheap fix) that it could be one of those little surprises that could blind side you.

Generally - I have little experience in this - I would think that there are very few units that have straight manual jacks. Probably wrong on this but I would suspect if they say there is only manual jacks something may have gone wrong with the automatic component of the system.

Perhaps there are others more knowledgeable who could shed some light on the matter.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 01:30 PM   #1318

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gordon,

I called the dealership and they said that the levelers are electric but each have their own button. They do not equalize or level automatically themselves. I would definitely have them show me before I put money down. Two units but of course in Texas at PPL. Both say manual.

I can't plan a trip down there anytime soon cause of Mike and Sandy. I need to be there for her when he passes. So, I keep looking and when the time is right it will happen.

Thanks for all the info guys, you have helped me a lot. Lynne

beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #1319

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Gordon,

I called the dealership and they said that the levelers are electric but each have their own button. They do not equalize or level automatically themselves. I would definitely have them show me before I put money down. Two units but of course in Texas at PPL. Both say manual.

I can't plan a trip down there anytime soon cause of Mike and Sandy. I need to be there for her when he passes. So, I keep looking and when the time is right it will happen.

Thanks for all the info guys, you have helped me a lot. Lynne
Something new for me. Can you give me a bit more informaton please so I can check the units out?

I wonder if they are three jack units? Having 4 individual jacks would be a bit of a hassle as there is the possibility of flexing the frame and causing other issues. I have read on some threads they have had windshield pop out because of flex.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:49 PM   #1320

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gordon,

Read posts 1312 and 1313. I think the guys explain it very well. Since these rigs are in Texas I have not seen them. My understanding in talking to the sales lay is that you have four buttons at the driver's area. You push each button individually to lower each jack. I would have to go see how it works to explain it better.
Something I will definitely do prior to offering a price.

Take care and thanks for all the info. Lynne
Old 04-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #1321

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry Lynne. I asked the question incorrectly. I was wondering if you could give me enough information so I could look at the units in question?

I have asked a friend who was a 2005 WGO with HWH jacks how his works.

I do not think that each jack is individually controlled by a single button but they work in pairs. The four buttons would be front, rear, left and right.

Controlling each jack individually would make leveling a very difficult process.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #1322

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gordon,

Both units are at PPL in Texas. Under $25,000. One a 2002 Brave and the other a 2001 Adventure. Not likely I will get there to look at them so go ahead. I really like these floor plans so keep finding Winnebago's I like.

Lynne
Old 04-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Something new for me. Can you give me a bit more informaton please so I can check the units out?

I wonder if they are three jack units? Having 4 individual jacks would be a bit of a hassle as there is the possibility of flexing the frame and causing other issues. I have read on some threads they have had windshield pop out because of flex.
If a windshield popped out it wasn't because of flex in the chassis or there would be a lot of windowless motorhomes. The chassis on these things is strong to begin with, notwithstanding the crappy frame extentions to the rear of some of them! The rigidity of the motorhome is made when the entire unit is together, there is some flex but very minute. Otherwise every big pothole or driving a wheel off the road would break something in the motorhome. More likely in the windshield popping out case , the bond between the glass and the metal frame was compromised by water leaks and the resultant rust breaking that bond. Or by improper windshield installation on older units with the all rubber types with the spline. That is one of the reasons you have to be certified to do automotive glazing now as the windshield becomes a load bearing part of the unit. Bobby
ps I own a glass shop!
Old 04-22-2015, 10:08 PM   #1324

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGlassMan View Post
If a windshield popped out it wasn't because of flex in the chassis or there would be a lot of windowless motorhomes. The chassis on these things is strong to begin with, notwithstanding the crappy frame extentions to the rear of some of them! The rigidity of the motorhome is made when the entire unit is together, there is some flex but very minute. Otherwise every big pothole or driving a wheel off the road would break something in the motorhome. More likely in the windshield popping out case , the bond between the glass and the metal frame was compromised by water leaks and the resultant rust breaking that bond. Or by improper windshield installation on older units with the all rubber types with the spline. That is one of the reasons you have to be certified to do automotive glazing now as the windshield becomes a load bearing part of the unit. Bobby
ps I own a glass shop!
Just passing on some information that was discussed on one of the threads here.

I think I have figured out most of the issue I am having with manual leveling. I was a surveyor for a few years and worked with a transit with 4 leveling screws. Very difficult to start with but once you got used to it it was fine. (nothing worse than setting up, taking a shot, turning an angle and having the transit flop to the side). Later transits came out with 3 screws so leveling was a snap.

Unfortunately as an ex surveyor I am fairly anal about being square and level. Not sure if it will go away altogether as I stopped surveying for a job over 40 years ago.

Anyway now that I have come to understand it I will file the information away for use in the future.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:33 AM   #1325

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good info Bobby.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:12 AM   #1326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Good info Bobby.
Frank
I try to be helpful.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:18 AM   #1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Just passing on some information that was discussed on one of the threads here.

I think I have figured out most of the issue I am having with manual leveling. I was a surveyor for a few years and worked with a transit with 4 leveling screws. Very difficult to start with but once you got used to it it was fine. (nothing worse than setting up, taking a shot, turning an angle and having the transit flop to the side). Later transits came out with 3 screws so leveling was a snap.

Unfortunately as an ex surveyor I am fairly anal about being square and level. Not sure if it will go away altogether as I stopped surveying for a job over 40 years ago.

Anyway now that I have come to understand it I will file the information away for use in the future.

Thanks for the help.
I too get a lot anal when I do jobs, I constantly get ridiculed by other glaziers/contractors when I do things "my way" for being a perfectionist or making the job too nice? Have lost helpers too because they wouldn't keep up with my work practices, but I have never had a storefront , window or door fall out or leak like a sieve as some of my fellow glazier/contractors have, lol! Bobby
Old 04-23-2015, 07:32 AM   #1328

Good Morning Everybody! Sun is out getting up after a couple more cups of coffee and going out to get my brandy new rebuilt fridge back in the motorhome. Take a few pics and layout the new platform for our bed. Went to DMV to reregister a trailer that has been laying around since 2005, going up to the house upstate as soon as the lawyer gets the paperwork done to go up with the motorhome and pic thru the house and garage and salvage whatever good memories and stuff we want! Have to get Sally's canoe, the ezgo golf cart I rebuilt for her, (minus the 6 batteries as they froze being discharged for so long)! Like to get my old german beer mug collection off the fireplace mantle , but only if I can cut a hole in the wall and grab them, won't go in the house as it's pretty scary! Then we can go home and enjoy the money from the sale and stop worrying about wasting more money on taxes for something we don't use! Hope everyone is healed or getting that way, including myself! Bobby
Old 04-23-2015, 07:43 AM   #1329

I don't know if it is a bright spot or not considering we will be getting $8000 less then we paid for it in 1983, but at least there will not be any capital gains taxes due on it! The neighbor that is buying it says we will be welcome anytime to come up and camp on it but we will see how that works out, if not so what I can set up right across the road on the river side and camp! Bobby
Old 04-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #1330
bap

goodmorning to all,,,i havent been on line for a few days and just stopping in to check on everyone,,,i pray all is well with all of you..

i have been busy working on the winnebago and debbie starting her pulmanary theropy ,,,she is going 3 times a week and its over an hour away but im telling you what this place is AWSOMEW!! everyone there is great,,,its a place that im sure LYNNE would fit in..lol,,,and has given debbie a huge lift on life...
everyone take care and i wil be praying for all of you...