Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:23 AM   #1373
bap

thanks for more pix,,love them..
took debbie in for theropy yesterday first thing they do is check her BP it was so high they sent her straight to the ER thinking she was going to have another stroke,,,but thank the good lord it started dropping ,,they ran catscans and EKG...everthing looked good so after 3 hours they let her go...
i totally belive in the power of prayer and know thats what saved her from another stroke,,,
i pray everyone has a great day----and for the fella that lost his shop...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 08:27 AM   #1374

Bobby, I hope you never come to Texas.
Because if you do, you'll never want to leave.
We have some code enforcement in the larger cities, but none like what you are dealing with.

And where I live it's our land we do what we want.

For example, where I live here, in the country just 20 miles north of Fort Worth, we have to have permits for septic systems and that's it.

I built my entire 50x60 foot shop with no permits and no code enforcement or inspection at all. But of course I built it commercial grade shop anyway because I was in the construction business all my life.
I did not have to ask for permission to install my shop on my property or pull any permits. Most of my neighbors have shop or airplane hangers next to or behind their homes, so mine fit right in.

I picked the location for the building. Dug the plumbing and installed all of it. Even put in my own RV dump station while i was at it. Then brought in concrete contractors and they poured my foundation.

I bought the all steel building from USA buildings in Houston and had it shipped up here.

It was delivered 10 days after we poured concrete. I found an erector company and hired his crews to work on my shop on days when they were shut down on their other jobs and had everyone sitting around the office doing nothing. He was fairly close to my location, so I got his guys cheap and just paid for the labor charges and a little bit of profit for him. he was happy to do it because that meant their wages weren't coming out of his pocket when they were shut down on the big jobs. It took them 3 months of working on my building part time, but only cost me $5,000 for their labor

I installed my shop doors and did all of the electrical wiring myself. I even installed my own meter base and breaker panels, and all in conduit.

I put in a 200 amp service on the north side of the shop and a 100 amp sub panel on the south side.
Electrical outlets every 5 feet around the perimeter of the building and several up in the ceiling + fans and an overhead trolley I beam.

Wired in 14 T 8 fluorescent bulb lighting fixtures in the shop Plus wired in for welders in 4 places and 1 large air compressor. Get this, I have only about $36,000 in the entire shop by doing it myself.

I did cheat on the electrical though!
One of my friends owned a commercial electrician business. He had to quit the business for health reasons and needed a place to store his inventory until he could get the business completely shut down. So we moved his entire warehouse into my shop for 6 months. And since I had a new shell just sitting there it worked out perfectly for both of us. He gave me full permission to use anything in his inventory in my shop and the tools to do it with. All I had to buy was the lighting fixtures and electrical outlets. All the conduits, couplers, boxes, fittings and wire came out of his inventory. I even used his scaffolding to get the conduit and lighting up in the ceiling. It turned out to be a pretty sweet deal for me because I wired every outlet with 220 so that I could have a choice of 110 or 220 at any location. A little overkill, but it has paid off.

All without asking anyone other than Melissa where we should put it. The building didn't even go into my property tax base for 3 years.

Like I said you won't leave if you ever visit.. There is a nice 5 acre Lot for sale 3 lots over from me right now. All fenced in with a nice white rail horse fence too. Oh and we have a grass strip runway in the back yard one street over. We get to watch the neighbor's give us an airshow almost every weekend. We love having small planes fly over and have the pilots we know wave at us.

You probably wouldn't like Texas..
Too much FREEDOM.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:29 AM   #1375

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
thanks for more pix,,love them..
took debbie in for theropy yesterday first thing they do is check her BP it was so high they sent her straight to the ER thinking she was going to have another stroke,,,but thank the good lord it started dropping ,,they ran catscans and EKG...everthing looked good so after 3 hours they let her go...
i totally belive in the power of prayer and know thats what saved her from another stroke,,,
i pray everyone has a great day----and for the fella that lost his shop...
Well be sure and add Debbie to our daily prayer list too. I know they work.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:42 AM   #1376

Winnebago Owners Club
Morning All;
Prayers for Debbie. Hopefully the spike in BP was due to white coat syndrome and nothing else.

Rail - nice pictures. Like the monuments. We like to get back to the Crazy Horse memorial every 4 or 5 years. I like to see the progress they are making. I will be done before it is but it is nice to see it moving along.

Sorry for the loss of your friend shop Bobby. Perhaps it is a sign for him to join you in starting retirement. Taxes are always contentious. I figure they use taxes to try to fill in the holes their mismanagement dug. It is really sad they have such big machines to dig the holes.

Curtis - you better be careful when you promote the life style in your area. You could end up with us all living around you. That would be scary with the high jinks that would start happening. We would soon be building all kinds of stuff and get so busy that we would not have time to play with it!!!

We need permits for all of our stuff. Price is reasonable and does come with inspections. Unfortunately it is needed as not all are as knowledgeable or conscientious as they could be and somewhere in the future someone will end up buying a death trap. Too many fellows are want to take shortcuts to save a dollar or two and later on people can get hurt.

Our problem is with the low cost of permits the staffing is low and it can take time to get an inspector on site. Still if you plan for it you can make it work. I had to get three permits for our shed (development, building and electrical. I did not put in gas so did not have to get that permit). The development was to develop the land, building needed an engineers design and electrical was just that. The building permit review found an engineers error that was a safety issue. We cannot be more than 40' from an exit door. Once that was sorted out building went OK and we now have a place to store more stuff.

A fellow we chum with has an attitude that it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission. He remodeled his house and it is out of spec. He removed some bearing walls and while everything looks good at them moment he will not be able to sell until he has it engineered and brought to compliance. If someone were to buy the house there is the potential of the roof caving in and people getting hurt. I am not sure what his insurance will do if the roof does fall in as it was an unauthorized renovation.

Curtis when you built your shop did your insurance company require and inspection before they would insure you?

Anyway I am bar-tending today at a Red Hat party that is being thrown by the chapter Janet is in. There will be a couple hundred brightly colored, blinged to the 9's women who will be having a great time. Running the bar is not difficult as there will not be a lot of drinking going on, mostly a glass of wine or so. Janet is doing well and looking forward to the event. She made a bunch of table favors. She is getting around quite well now and everything is going great.

Have a great day.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:19 AM   #1377
bap

thanks for the prayers guy,s we will take all we can get...never shy or to proud to ask for prayers...

curtis, where you live sounds like where we live,,,if you want to build it,,,just build it,,only permit we ever need is for septic and electric...
our horse pasture is also a runway we use to fly the powered parachutes from here but we havent done that in a few years now,,,but it sure was fun..
Old 04-30-2015, 11:57 AM   #1378

Prayers and best wishes for your friend, Bobby.

So frustrating when good people get regulated out of existence. :(
Old 04-30-2015, 12:58 PM   #1379

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Good morning friends.

Glad to see everyone is doing well and things are going their way. Well except for the poor guy whose shop burned down. No insurance?

Things are progressing along with the S&B, almost done.
I need to stop being such a perfectionist because I keep finding things to fix.

Nice pix Rail, that "cathedral" is new since I was last there. No photo you have ever seen prepares you for standing at the base of Rushmore.

I dunno how any of you that live in NY or NJ or PA can stand it. They tax you to death and push you around at every turn. I was in the Poconos for 2 years and that was enough for me. One day they will figure out a way to meter the air you breathe and tax you on that too.

Been spending my evenings hunting three used 5ers for Liberty Farms to use as trainee housing. Of course that require research on 5ers since what I know about them will fit on a postcard.

Never ending effort to raise funding. I wish the media would pick up on the project, but as yet no luck. I saw a bakery & a pizza joint raise money at the rate of $20K/hr. You would think an effort to help disabled vets would do better.

Have a fabulous day everyone. Check back in when I can. Been missing you all.
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #1380

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow Bobby,

Sorry about your friend's place. Not having insurance is probably going to bite him more than having it did. I agree it sounds like you need to get out of New York! If you can afford to live there you can live elsewhere like a King. Take Texas for instance, like Curtis says, they don't regulate you to death. Even here you have permits but not stupid stuff and your taxes are HORRIBLE!

Jeff,

We have had an awful lot of patients lately with high BP. Makes you wonder if it is something in the air. Two today alone. Glad she is better and you are right about prayer working. When we get together and I am no longer w--king at the hospital, I have some good prayer and belief stories to share.

The weather has been upper 30's in AM when I go to w--k and then in the 60's during the day. I Love it!

Have a good night, Lynne
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:26 PM   #1381

Prayers to all that are ailing or recovering! Just got home after spending the day with my friend whose shop burned down, watching him going thru the little that was left and helping him drag it to his house almost had me in tears. And listening to him rationalizing not having any insurance and not having to pay capital gains now was making me crazy. I do feel bad that his 1956 Hillman that he has had for 35 years is toast, but he has $21000 insurance on that. The other guys Camaro was insured for $18500 and my friend is going to make a deal with him and the insurance company with a 1970 Chevy Nova he has with a all aluminum big block in it. At his age 59 and with no shop to work out of he was babbling something about rebuilding the Hillman but I don't think so as all the body panels are so heat warped it would take 20 expert bodymen 20 years to get it back in shape! Just sad to see everything you ever worked for go up in smoke! Now if I can get this nasty stuff off my hands and clothes , Sally might let me in bed tonight! Bobby
Old 04-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #1382

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGlassMan View Post
Prayers to all that are ailing or recovering! Just got home after spending the day with my friend whose shop burned down, watching him going thru the little that was left and helping him drag it to his house almost had me in tears. And listening to him rationalizing not having any insurance and not having to pay capital gains now was making me crazy. I do feel bad that his 1956 Hillman that he has had for 35 years is toast, but he has $21000 insurance on that. The other guys Camaro was insured for $18500 and my friend is going to make a deal with him and the insurance company with a 1970 Chevy Nova he has with a all aluminum big block in it. At his age 59 and with no shop to work out of he was babbling something about rebuilding the Hillman but I don't think so as all the body panels are so heat warped it would take 20 expert bodymen 20 years to get it back in shape! Just sad to see everything you ever worked for go up in smoke! Now if I can get this nasty stuff off my hands and clothes , Sally might let me in bed tonight! Bobby
Bobby - it is good he has hope and a possible goal in rebuilding the Hillman. That will give him purpose, something that will help him through the tough time.

Good luck on the cleanup. May I suggest a quick run through the car wash? You could hang yourself from the floor mat clips and have someone sluice you off. Yikes - that would be something to see. LOL
Old 05-01-2015, 12:06 AM   #1383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Bobby - it is good he has hope and a possible goal in rebuilding the Hillman. That will give him purpose, something that will help him through the tough time.

Good luck on the cleanup. May I suggest a quick run through the car wash? You could hang yourself from the floor mat clips and have someone sluice you off. Yikes - that would be something to see. LOL
Oh believe me Gordon, when I had my tractor-trailers i'd come in the house and Sally would make me drop my drawers at the front door, sometimes throwing my clothes out ! Then she'd hand me the brillo pads and Comet and tell me to get my butt in the shower, God between the diesel and that nasty gear oil, i'd be a mess! Getting over it now after 15 years, and i've learned to pick my throwawy clothes better, LOL! Bobby

Oh and Gordon , I have no problem with permits or inspections at reasonable costs, but when they won't allow you to file for the permits and force you to hire a licensed contractor even if you are one as I am, only I am not a Licensed Electrician or Plumber or Alarm Installer or Sprinkler installer it's all BS to me then! Let me file the permit showing what I want to do , pay the fees and let them inspect it Done! There are 2 counties on Long Island Nassau and Suffolk, You can be a Licensed Electrician in Nassau and Suffolk will honor your Nassau license, but if you are a Licensed Electrician in Suffolk , you have to pass all the tests and become a fully licensed Nassau Electrician!!!! Then you have to get Licensed in the 17 Incorporated Villages seperately! So when all is said and done you end up with 18 or 19 separate pieces of paper that cost them nothing to print but cost you thousands before you ever put a switch in! Some of the incorporated villages , you have to file a $75 permit to put a switch or a light fixture in! That is what happens to your state/county/town taxes do for you here. The electricians board where you get licensed is made up of like 7 old time electricians/companies , they administer the tests to people trying to get their licenses, and they don't like competition! Hell some of the people on the board are grandsons of the founders of the companies and don't have any idea of the National Electrical Code, they just own the companies and therefore the licenses!
Old 05-01-2015, 01:24 AM   #1384

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good morning, everyone! The coffee is very good today!
Frank, I thought very long and hard about keeping the HR, but it would tie me down, so to speak, as we are not sure of the dates when we will come back for our next tour! And it is not good for a MH to sit, unattended , for extended periods! I thought about leaving it with my son, but then it would end up at "Mud Fests" and I would not like that! When it was at the dealers, waiting for us to get there, he took it out and exercised it once a month, for me for the 7 months he stored it for free! And had it detailed, plugged in, full of water, ready to go, when we arrived!
No, it is in very good shape, and needs to be enjoyed by a new family. Someone will get a great deal! And the next time I will wait and buy one closer to where we want to start our trip, and fly into there!
Bobby, I know about your clothes, and hands! The car wash, Huh!!!!!
Curtis, Tx. was like where I lived in the country in Il. We built a garden shed, a Cord Wood Shed/Barn, a 12'/20' screened in gazebo by the in-ground pool, W/waterfall, and a 12'/12' greenhouse all W/O permits! But when they came out for the survey for the taxes, well, they went up a lot!! She also ask to come inside the house to use the phone, and I told her to use the one in her purse, she was just wanting to see all the renovations we had done to the inside of the house Sneaky!
Bap, glad everything is ok, prayers are still coming!
Lynne, did you ever check out the Bago's at Sunland Sales, Glendale, Az.? Just a plane ride to Phoenix, and a nice drive home! PM me if you need the contac. info?
Everyone have a nice day! Rail!
Old 05-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #1385

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning all;
Had a great day yesterday. Bar tended at a Red Hat function for the Flamin' Floozies, a chapter Janet belongs to. Was very interesting to say the least.

They had a speaker from Uruguay who owns a local ladies shop. She spoke a bit about her history and showed the ladies how to wear scarfs by different methods of folding and wrapping them. I though her talk was great and really motivational.

She spoke about how she had first come to Canada and spoke no English. She had to get a job to support herself and her family. She worked for a retailer and answered the phone one day to an irate customer. Because of the language barrier she had a terrible time and ended up having to pass the phone to the manager. She thereafter avoided the phone wishing to stay away from those kinds of issues. She was going to quit the job but spoke to her sponsor who suggested that talking on the phone was an opportunity to learn something or to improve.

Her message was face your fears and always "answer the phone" and take the opportunity to stretch yourself and grow. I had to take the opportunity to speak with her and tell her what a great presentation she did. Had a great conversation with her.

Bobby - I agree with your evaluation of what is going on with permits etc. What started out as a good thing so people built properly when they were building has turned into a bureaucratic boondoggle. Bloated administrations and inflated egos have turned a system meant to help people build properly and control random development into a nightmare.

Unfortunately every time someone does something stupid they will create a new rule that makes it difficult for the average person to do anything, even if you will be doing it right. I can understand how things go that way. Someone builds something, it falls down and hurts someone (maybe even the fellow who built it) and there will be a public outcry that government has to do something to prevent that person from getting hurt. So another rule is born. Then as you say someone will figure out how to use it to their advantage.

Anyway - enough of a rant from me. We are fortunate in our jurisdiction and have not had many issues with our building development.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #1386

Gotta keep this short as Melissa and I are about to head down to Cleburne to look at an RV for Lynne.

But, I love parachute planes. Flown them a lot back when I was single.
Did some Ultra Lights about 30 years ago but stopped when mine tried to kill me. Now I'm thinking of getting a Gyro Copter. The 1965 Bonanza "V" tail my Brother and I had back in the 80's cost us too much just sitting still.
I can park a Gyro in my garage! And take off in the back yard!

I understand the need for Permits and Inspections in some cities.
As a Technician for the Power Company and a Electrical Safety Instructor for the Fire Academy I got consulted a lot for interpretation. Funny but I spent most of my time explaining the Code to the Code Enforcement Officer's FOR THE 11 Cities I served. Some of those kids they hired could barely read, much less interpret the Codes Meanings. SO much for no kid left behind! I've seen some Licensed Electricians try to pass jobs that I would let my worst dog sleep under.

My Dr's Nurse got all excited about my Blood Pressure last time I was in there. But I had been sitting fuming for almost 2 hours before they called me back and I was pissed. I told her to go away for 5 minutes and then come back and run it again. I calmed down and she showed me as normal.

I told her to now stop wasting my time and go get the Dr., I needed a prescription. Then I told him what drug I needed to get well and he wrote it.
All morning wasted! Had he just talked to me on the phone my BP would have been normal. This Dr. and I have known each other for 40 years. He knows my history. And he knows I have never misdiagnosed myself.

Well gotta run. Gonna treat Melissa to a nice Restaurant while we're gone. We may look at a few new MH's while we are down there.

Curtis