Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2015, 10:06 PM   #1681

Lynn, when we Motorhome the girls go with us. They are great travelers! They do well in the car, but love the freedom of the Motorhome. Ripley loves to sleep on the dash in the sun and Porcha likes to sleep on the couch. We'll bring them with us for sure. They do not like having to stay behind.

We are drying out here at the house. Should be able to mow by Friday if we don't get anymore rain. Supposed to be in the 90's all week. The yard is still a swamp. Cannot walk on it without sinking up to my ankles in muck.

BAP, Carter Cave HUH? Sounds like a nice ride there on the Motorcycles.

Wanting to head east in a few weeks on a scooter ride to see a buddy in North Georgia! My cousin and her Husband just moved to Eagles Neck, MO and I'lll be visiting them along the way. No Highways on this ride! Will be tent camping as much as possible too! Should be a nice vacation!

Well, I'm getting sleepy! Talk to ya'll tomorrow!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 01:00 AM   #1682

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Goooodmorning!!!

Having me first cuppa. Delish!

Thanks folks for the kindness about Patty.

Apparently she was not "driving faster than her angels could fly" (H/t Lynne) because something/someone was looking out for her. I'll be happy when she returns home safe from visiting her folks (about 2 hr drive away) so I can wrap my arms around her.

So I have been thinking real hard about the Super C I posted over on Terry's Total Rebuild page. Can't wait to show it to Patty later today. Not at all what we have been looking for/at, but I'm falling in love with it. I have a couple ideas about some tweaks and will post it up in CLAC and see what the CLACer crew thinks. If I can pull a trailer with it, I'm in. That is if Patty gives it the thumbs up. At the top of the budget we had set for a coach.

Anyone close to Lakeland Fla? If Patty likes it, and I'm certain she will love that interior as it's gorgeous, I plan to fly down and put eyes on it. So if someone is in the area would you be willing to take a quick peek at it before I spend money to fly down? Would just like to know if it looks as good as the photos. Don't want you to drive for hours, but if you happen to be nearby.....

BTW, for those that commented over on Total Rebuild, turns out the price is just below NADA for one of these rigs of this vintage.
Jay, I saw this MH about 2 weeks ago, it looks very nice! I also thought it was a pretty good deal, but there is some room for negotiations, be my guess? You need to look very closely at the truck part of this combo, and a good truck mechanic would be a wise thing to have with you, when you go look! It is a 2003 KW, so make sure the rear suspension bushings are good, and has been upgraded! The rear tires are mismatched, and I would be curious as why? The front tires looked new? So you will get no signs from them on how they were wearing? A rig with this price tag should have all matching tires, and look new! First thing I would do is find a truck shop that can inspect the driveline and sample the oil and trans. and rear end fluids, check the suspension for wear and alignment! This is a full blown semi, and expensive to work on and fix, sure the MH part is very nice, but the truck that it is built on is very important too! The two together would have to be in tip top shape for me to even consider this at this price! JMHO! Rail!
PS, also check out the weight of this combo? It was made to carry 34,000 on the drive, 12,000 on the steer, unless it has the heavy front axel, then 14,000, but would have to have the right front tires? Be my guess, with that Cat, that the steers are maxed out!
Old 06-02-2015, 05:15 AM   #1683

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jay,
I agree with what rail is saying.
Terry,
We are heading straight to Ohio, just stopped overnight, no more 700+mile days for this guy. We will stay in Ohio till after the 4th of July, then off to Pa for more sightseeing.
Lynne,
The vacuum lines are carried at any of the auto parts store, just need to take a piece of the old ones for the right diameter, and how long each one is. They sell it by the foot, so you don't have to buy a whole roll for a couple feet.
Gordon,
I agree with the too many people, we will head west one of these days, it is in the plans, just no time table yet.
bap,
We will get over your way one of these days, will plan on spending a few days around there to check things out. Thanks for the offer, we appreciate it.
Going to leave a little earlier than normal today, woke up really early, and no sense sitting around for an extra hour, so we will probably leave around 8 instead of 9. Only about 380 miles and wewill be there.
Have a great day all, catch you this evening after we get set up and have dinner.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #1684

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Jay, I went back and looked again, and it does look like it has the heavy front rims and tires, so that is good! Still need to know the weights though, and the dealer should be able to answer that question for you! Rail!
Old 06-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #1685

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Goooodmorning!!!

Lynne - Glad you're enjoying doing the repairs. Takes the chore out of it and lessens the frustrations like the one you are having finding plumbing parts. Restoring cars is a labor of love for me, therapy if you will, so when I hit roadblocks it just becomes a challenge rather than frustration. I expect it will be the same with the veteran farms.

Curtis - Hoping you get the dry weather so ya'll can dry out a bit.

Thanks for the heads up on that rig guys. Good catch on the tires. All new matching ones would be required for us to buy it, or any other rig for that matter. Overloading tires is hard on them and you cant tell if that has been done until it's too late. There is always room to deal on the asking price.

Knowing its a full on OTR chassis under that house, I had planned to have a KW shop check out the chassis and do all the tests. That is if we decide to go for it. Patty has not seen the photos yet. BTW, shes home safe and sound.

Have spent a considerable amount of time getting to know all the potential issues with the various Class A brands and models we were interested in and all the systems but have not done any research on KW chassis. Time to talk to the truckers on here for sure and a local truck shop so I know what to be looking for.

I would think that chassis would be much more durable than the traditional coach chassis though. Wonder what was done to smooth out the ride.

Just checked on travel cost, not too bad. Still, with hotel, air and car it will be at least $1700 with 7 day stay. Might do a little better if we shop a bit.

Patty will see the pix today, if she likes the rig I will call the dealer today. I want some more pix of the garage area, particularly the frame of it, around it and how does it attach to the truck. If I cant rig it to pull a good sized trailer it flat out won't work for our plans. We will be all over the country building aquaponics farms with greenhouses for veterans. That will require having a car and tools so the trailer is a must.

Not crazy about the black, shows swirls in the sun and can be darn hot on a summer day. Might have to get it wrapped in something really off the chart. Anyway, enough about this thing for now.

We have been approached about making a TV show about Liberty Farms. A reality series with the veterans as they go through the process and follow them on their farms. I like the idea on the whole and some of our vets are willing. If we do it we will give the vets in each episode most of the money and the rest will go back into the 501(c)(3). Discussions are still in the early stages so we will see. I think it would be great for calling attention to our veterans and what they go through with PTSD.

Did I mention donations to 501(c)(3)'s are tax deductible?

Have a great day all
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #1686

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well, they took a deposit on that Kingsley already. He said he would call me if that fell through. I have a friend going by to see it Friday anyway. Wasn't meant to be I guess. But wouldn't ya know a local dealer called me about a Travel Supreme 42DL14 they just took in this morning and he says she looks brand new inside & out. Will go see it tomorrow.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #1687

Winnebago Owners Club
Jay - good luck on the TS. Hope you are able to decide between the two of them if that is what you want.

Also good luck on the reality show angle. It would make some interesting watching to see disabled vets get a "first" chance at as normal a life as one could hope via becoming self sufficient throuh Liberty Farms.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #1688

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good evening everyone,
Got into Ohio with little problems, my fuel pressure regulator started sticking wide open again, a few times, but I had the scanner already hooked up and was watching the live data, so I just would erase the code and go on. The big problem was when I went to the local KOA and they wanted to add over $200 to my monthly charge for the extra 5 days. 4 days at $47+ because it was a holiday, instead of 650 + tax and electric, it came to almost $900, of course you know I told them to keep their site and I wanted my deposit back, which they credited my CC for the amount that I paid. Came over to the campgrounds that I stayed at last year and got the last spot, $500 + electric for the 35 days, no sewer, and 30 amp electric, but I guess you take what you can get. I was going to renew my value card, but it is just too expensive to stay at a KOA anymore. If I'm going to pay that much a night, I will pay a couple dollars more and stay at a resort that has all the amenities and concrete sites with asphalt or concrete roads. anyways, no sudden lane changes today and no close calls, also no getting chewed out today, so overall, good day.
Jay,
Good luck on looking for your coach, remember, if you loose one, it just wasn't meant to happen. Look at Lynne's, she waited and now they have the one that fits them.
Gordon,
I will head west when I can, family logistics won't allow me to travel west right now like I want, If our friends health holds out next summer we hope to travel to Alaska with them Canadian route up and US route back. When we head out there by ourselves we want to spend 1 1/2 to 2 years traveling around. 1 winter in Arizona and 1 in southern Texas, that's the plan anyways.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #1689

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jay,

Go for it with the TV show. Advertise, advertise, advertise. It might just make this whole program explode.

I understand what you are saying about redoing old cars. Mine was redoing old houses. Love removing all the old paper to get to the actual plaster, skim coat it and smooth it down and paint it. Then redo all the wood and floors. Nothing prettier than old wood floors brought back to life but you probably feel that way about od cars.

Our son bought a badly abused old Craftsman. She was rough. He started stripping paper, working on it when he wasn't on the road. He would be out six weeks at a time. He was going so slow and I had a lot of time free in the evenings. I told him leave it and I would work on it. He came back after the first six weeks out and I had all the rooms stripped of wall paper and skim coated and painted. He was shocked. "Mom, it's too much work". I love doing this stuff I told him. Next six weeks he came back and I had redone both bedroom floors including replacing some of the wood. Couldn't tell where.

Next time kitchen and dining room floors were redone. Look amazing. Now I get to work on the MH. Now it is no where near as bad as our son's house, but it needs tweaked.

Parshallburg RV came through with the plumbing supplies. Went to the farm store for washers. Had something close so we are going to try that. Should get it put back together tomorrow. Then see if this fixes all leaks.

Got a soft brush for washing with a pole with water supply. Don't know when I will get to that, but will get it washed eventually. Jerry was so excited when he found the part at Parshallburg RV that he almost shouted with joy.

Well you all have a great night, I will talk without in the morning. Stay dry Curtis and Melissa. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:58 PM   #1690

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Lynne where are you when I need help with old wood floors? Making good progress on the tiled over glued crap some jerk put on the floors in one of our rental houses! Getting the black glue off is tough but I am looking forward to the result when they are finished. Am bartering the floor refinishing for a storefront window and door. Wish there was a lot more bartering to do! Hope you get all your leaks fixed! Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:22 PM   #1691

Winnebago Owners Club
Frank that does sound pricey. I am in Yuma for the winter. Janet and I lease a lot and pay 2400 per year. We like it because we can do "improvements" and build stuff like sheds. I laid about 300 sq ft of patio blocks which I will lose when we give up our lease. With the price I do not see giving it up for a long while.

I think we are planning on doing a trip to check out the Texas gulf coast in 2016/2017. Janet is currently the chair of the Entertainment Committee but her term is up next March and she is not going to let her name stand for the position again. Plan is to check out some of the sweet potato festivals, and possible alternative location.

Remains to be seen as we really like the location we are in right now.

If you head to Alaska you could pass quite close to us depending upon the route you pick. Keep in touch and I can suggest what I think is the best route.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:14 AM   #1692

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning,

Nice cup of coffee this morning. Sun is out, it's supposed to be 76 today, perfect day, no wind. Going back to Parshallburg RV to get something to clean roof and awning with. Start on roof this weekend as it is supposed to be in the 80's and then whatever else I can get to. Studying for ACLS this month. One of the certifications I have to have for w--k. Two years and 4 days until retirement.

Otherwise, replace plumbing, clean house, and visit with son and brother. Hope you all have a great day! Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:17 AM   #1693

Winnebago Owners Club
Morning All;
Wonderful day here as well. Still need rain but the sun is out so will enjoy that. Getting close to heading back south to pick up the MH and looking forward to that. Few things to do around the yard so will be doing that. It will take us about 2.5 weeks to get the MH and return as we are planning a trip by our dealer for some warranty work.

Lynne and Jerry. Be careful on top of the MH. I know you will be but it is pretty easy to get involved with the work and then forget where you are.

Frank - we pay 2400 per year for our leased site. I think it is about 1400 for 6 months but am not sure. Lots of big ficus trees so about 2/3 of the MH is under trees. We do pay for power ourselves.

Hope everyone has a great day. Safety first on the roof!!
Old 06-03-2015, 07:23 AM   #1694

Three days of Sunshine here in North Central Texas!
Another day or two and I'll be able to mow the swamp.
If we can get another 5 days of dry 90 degree days we'll dry out.

Headed out in a few hours to hang out with the youngest Grandson.
Next week the rest of them will be out of school and we are hoping to all go to the park for a picnic lunch.

Had a frustrating day yesterday. Nothing went right. Finally gave up in the shop and went for a motorcycle ride to the Local Truck Stop and spent an hour visiting with my Airplane Pilot Neighbors in the Restaurant. Had a good time talking Airplanes! One of the Guys is a Retired Delta Chief Pilot and County Judge. He flies a 27 Stearman Biplane. He promised to take me up again as soon as the runway dries out enough to get the planes back on the grass.
Several of the Guys are former Military Fighter Pilots. Some really interesting adventures in those guys.

Now I"m wishing I had another airplane.
Actually I want a Gyrocopter!
Got my eye on a 2 seater built in Germany!