Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #10025

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Evening All,

Gordon, I love spinach artichoke dip and I am teasing you although I wish I could send you the white stuff for real. Yep, 41 days left starting tomorrow morning. It is going sooooooo sloooooowwwwwwww!

I think an appetizer night sounds good though. Everyone bring a favorite or two, some chips and salsa, veggies and wine. Sit around the campfire and munch and drink. I think this group can handle it.

Going home for Christmas! When will you return to Yuma? Why do people call it Yuma when it is actually Winterhaven? Right???

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2017, 04:58 PM   #10026

Hi Lynne!

Winterhaven is nothing but a cross roads. There is one store, that looks pretty bad you probably would not go in. The popualation is 394,,,, probably doubles during winter with the visitors. However, 300' away on the other side of the river is a beutiful city of 94,000. Although Winterhaven is in California, due to the fact that everything you do is in Yuma, they even use Yuma/Arizona time,,, rather than Pacific Coast.

Hope that helps. Oh, I should add alll the California taxes etc,, unless Arizona catches up Winterhaven will never have anything. Certainly not fuel.

L.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #10027

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Gordon,
You are correct about being way over if I add tounge weight of a trailer. The GVAWR is 20,000, but that is because most states that is the maximum legal weight for a single axle. I think the axle itself is rated at 24,000.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:42 PM   #10028

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Gordon,
You are correct about being way over if I add tounge weight of a trailer. The GVAWR is 20,000, but that is because most states that is the maximum legal weight for a single axle. I think the axle itself is rated at 24,000.
Frank
Don't know about the 24,000. I checked ours and it says 21,000 drive and 10,000 tag. (Freightliner sticker) Winnebago revised downgraded it to 20,000.

I know there was an exemption for buses on interstates to 24,000. Some seem to think MH fall under the same regulations. No idea.

Spent considerable time working as a project manager. Most of the projects involved truck haul of asphalt or gravel. I understand about capacities and regulations when it comes to heavy trucks. Many of them had axle capacities well in excess of the highway limits but they went off road as well where there was no limit except common sense. I am sure while off road they were loaded well in excess of that as well.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:55 PM   #10029

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
evening,
the little store in Winterhaven had the best Mexican food wrapped in a corn husk. I can't wait to have one again, can't remember what they were called but in the center there was a Queen olive, potatoes. carrots and beef. I stopped almost daily for 2.
Don't forget they had a Gentleman's club too
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #10030

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Tim, those are called Tamale's! And the ones with the olive in the middle are the real deal! How in the world did you stop at two? There was a guy in Algodones that sold them out of the back of his PU, and he would park it on the side of the street where the line would build up for the cars to get back across the border! They make them with pork and beef, and I think they are both great!
There was a old woman that had a cooler in the back of her car, she parked across the street from a drop lot where we would drop Co. trailers, and pick up empty ones in Calexico, Ca. just across the border from Mexicalli! I always parked my truck and ran across the street and bought a bag of them, a guy yelled at me one time, "You can't park there" and I just held up one finger, kept running, got the sack, ran back, jumped in the truck, pulled up to him, handed him a tamale, and he took good care of me after that! He ask me how I knew she had the tamale's in the back of her car? I smiled, and said, this is not my first rodeo! Rail!
Old 11-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #10031

Winnebago Owners Club
Tim - you are likely talking about tamales. The store is Jimmies.

Don't forget the tacos made by Gabby and Fernando.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:11 PM   #10032

Little over 700 miles today....wife wanted to go through Nashville and then through Arkansas on the return trip...sorry Lloyd but I know we will be back that way and will catch up with you....620 more miles to go tomorrow...when we get back that will be about 2700 miles in four days....glad I love my truck had alot of seat time....lol..

Funny thing yesterday pulling the trailer we started out in the mid 11mpg range but as we climbed the hills and got higher in altitude and the air temp dropped my milage improved to high 13mpg....hmmm....just kinda interesting...

Well I didn't pop any of my stitches but the cut did open up in between a couple of them but not enough to bleed..so I think it's doing good considering....

Well I am tired going to clean up and relax a bit...

Sounds like everyone had a great Thanksgiving I sure did but am really going to miss the grandkids....that Jameson is a pill....lol...

Night all...

Mk
mkohler30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:32 PM   #10033

Lynne

We just had a 41yr. old women shot by a hunter in the back of her wooded property. It is is a nearby community. Any one that new her said she was a very nice person. The hunter tried to save her life. So fat the news said his gun was illegal. I would expect charges to be filed. So tragic around the holidays. I grew up in the country and our property was surrounded by woods . We always had to be careful around hunting season. My sister-in law is doing better. I visited her today and she voluntered that she was the cause of the problem. I think she likes attention as she fell and now they have her in a wheelchair. No fractures noted on the xrays. DH went to Olies and got her two fat word search books. Olies"good stuff cheap". Take care All.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:54 AM   #10034

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning,

Thank you for the explanation on Yuma / Winterhaven! Makes sense. What are taxes in CA? Never planned on going there so never have worried about finding out. So I take it you do most of your shopping in Yuma since it is so close? We have a lot to learn about being retired and the best places to shop or go.

Mickelson Trail Affiliates This is the website to the bike trail Ron suggested for us to ride. You will want to watch the videos. The scenery is lovely! I am really looking forward to riding some of this trail. I plan to have an electric bike for this though.

No news on the neighbor. Sam, working in a hospital and on ambulance, every year during hunting season we had people die from stray bullets. People are very careless sometimes and the cost is huge.

Well, Thanksgiving is done, next big holiday is Christmas and then New Years! Not sure if next year we will be home for Christmas or not. Have not decided on definite plans for Yuma yet but will get to it soon.

Have a good day everyone! 48* here right now and I am loving it! Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:50 AM   #10035

Morning all!

38 partly cloudy.

MK, good traveling. Cool air helps with the mileage. Glad you are making such progress. Maybe next time. Have a safe trip home.

Lynne, California has a very high tax rate. Fuel is a lot more expensive than Arizona. As you head west from Yuma across California, the next town of any size is nearly 50 miles,,,, so for shopping Yuma it is! The south west, things are much more spread out. Part of the charm. Sales tax in Calf is high as well. On the other hand, Yuma has just about every store I can think of. Couple Walmarts, a mall, Home Depot, Lowes, etc etc..

Tim, we skip that store. It just does not look like a good neighborhood, and 1 mile further there is much better choices.

We are well below weight on both our axles, even with the trailer. Have not had a corner weight performed but the overall axle weights are great. (have the scale slip in the coach) I have not noticed a difference in handling if we run empty, towbar, or trailer. Pretty happy with our chassis.

We didn't get the fenders painted yesterday. My buddy ended up working. Starting this morning at 10.

Have a great day all!

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:35 AM   #10036

Gulf Streamers Club
Goodmorning alll. Sun just came up here. Going to be a beautiful day. Another Thanksgiving meal day here. Darn the luck. Yesterday went to Homestead Fair north of Waco. Saw blacksmith shop, grist mill run by water wheel, timber frame barn structure erected, woodworking with hand tool demonstration. Had a great time.

Lynne, if you are thinking e-bike, there are a number on the market. The Mini I have is from RadPower Bikes and they have new models out so the 2017 models like I have are on sale. And this year they have a pass thru model that is new. Their folding Mini model this year has front fork suspension but no front rack over front tire. Mickelson Trail allows pedal assist e-bikes.

r&e

ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:57 AM   #10037

Vintage RV Owners Club
Morning, gang.

Picked up some decaf English Breakfast tea. Not bad, not bad. Ain't coffee, but tastes better than the herbal teas. And at approx 2-10mg caffeine per cup, I might be able to wean off the coffee easier. ⛾

Sunny and 38* here, going to be 53* this afternoon. I'm all for that! Hoping we don't get snow until January.

Friend of ours picked up some turkeys for us at 19 cents a pound. Woo! One turkey we'll freeze for the family Christmas and the other I'll cut up for cooking meals for Allen and I. Wishing I'd bought a third turkey at that price.

Interesting discussion about trailers, I learned allot! We may get to that point of using a trailer some day, so I should print all the advice out.

Well, I gotta get to work. Busy fat today. Back later.

Charlene
RVM#169 | Charlene & Allen | Rig: 1989 Rockwood Prestige 32' Class A, "Clora Mae" | John Deere Chassis/Ford 460 engine.
RetroGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:51 AM   #10038

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been giving the "Beast" some TLC. I washed it, polished the wheels and I'm now in the process of hand waxing it. I have the front done though I didn't remove the Diamond Shield for now. I have the passenger side done and the upper regions of the drivers side and rear of the coach done. It's taking time because I don't believe it's been waxed in years. The good news is that the tree limb scratches are mostly gone now using elbow grease and lots of wax.

Going to play disc golf with my in-laws and youngest son this morning then back to the grind. I have 5 days left before we drive the car back to Fayetteville for Doctors appts. and to see friends.

Everyone have a great day.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote