Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #1

Has anyone ever upgraded their power control to a digital readout and/ or their elect

Has anyone ever upgraded their power control to a digital readout and/ or their electrical service? I am contemplating a 30 to 50 amp upgrade, essentially to run the AC units off one leg and the rest of the coach on the other. Also wanted to upgrade the battery disconnect to a Powerline controller with digital readout. Yeah I know . . . . . But it's a rainy day and I'm bored.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #2

in the pic it shows 2 power meters 1 for each leg of the 50 amp power and I did adjust 1 a/c to the other line to try to even out the power split on the line . it is nice to see how much power we are using at any time

dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike , rv may 30 2018 026.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	218531  
featherlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:48 PM   #3

30A to 50A Hybrid

Performed that conversion this spring in our '96 Flair.

Took me quite some time, as Fleetwood zip tied and wrapped the 110V wiring throughout the coach. That required me to pull some panels, and the furnace from the rig to wire it properly.

Our coach is rather old, so it does not use an automatic transfer switch between the shore cord and the generator. Instead it uses a NEMA TT-30 respectable, which you plug the coach short cord into, when not plugged into the RV park receptacle.

Dual Roof A/C units:
Usually The 30A shore cord powers one A/C unit, usually the front one (primary), with the rear A/C unit (secondary) wired directly to the generator.
Older Dual A/C coaches often employed a front/rear A/C selector switch. This switch allows you to select which A/C you want running (say the rear bedroom one at night).

We wanted to run both roof A/C units without running the generator. We did not want to rewire the entire coach for a 240V and a 50A electrical panel. Basically the one leg of the NEMA14-50 powers the coach, and the second leg powers the rear A/C only.

Our coach already had the front/rear A/C switch, with both shore power and generator power wired to the selector switch.
This way we basically just needed the second 110V leg from a NEMA 14-50 RV park receptacle to power the secondary A/C.

Parts we needed:
NEMA 14-50 receptacle and receptacle box and cover plate
50A shore cord @ 30 feet long (gauge size 6/3-8/1) Camco 55195
Manual transfer switch 63A rating, Baomain SZW26-63, plus a receptacle box to fit the switch inside, and cover plate.
50' of 10/2 Romex and 50' of 12/2 Romex
Plus, various screws, wire nuts, screws, zip ties and electrical tape.

About $250 in parts and 14 hours of my time.

Below is a picture of the A/C selector schematic, and a wiring diagram of the 50A hybrid schematic I made.

Still have to post pictures adding a larger shore cord hatch in the electrical compartment, and I still need to finish the carpet on the side wall where the transfer switch is mounted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	30A IMG_1230.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	218541   Click image for larger version

Name:	50A3a.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	477.0 KB
ID:	218542  

Name:	50A1a.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	218543   Click image for larger version

Name:	50A2a.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	218544  

Old 09-11-2018, 05:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
Performed that conversion this spring in our '96 Flair.

Took me quite some time, as Fleetwood zip tied and wrapped the 110V wiring throughout the coach. That required me to pull some panels, and the furnace from the rig to wire it properly.

Our coach is rather old, so it does not use an automatic transfer switch between the shore cord and the generator. Instead it uses a NEMA TT-30 respectable, which you plug the coach short cord into, when not plugged into the RV park receptacle.

Dual Roof A/C units:
Usually The 30A shore cord powers one A/C unit, usually the front one (primary), with the rear A/C unit (secondary) wired directly to the generator.
Older Dual A/C coaches often employed a front/rear A/C selector switch. This switch allows you to select which A/C you want running (say the rear bedroom one at night).

We wanted to run both roof A/C units without running the generator. We did not want to rewire the entire coach for a 240V and a 50A electrical panel. Basically the one leg of the NEMA14-50 powers the coach, and the second leg powers the rear A/C only.

Our coach already had the front/rear A/C switch, with both shore power and generator power wired to the selector switch.
This way we basically just needed the second 110V leg from a NEMA 14-50 RV park receptacle to power the secondary A/C.

Parts we needed:
NEMA 14-50 receptacle and receptacle box and cover plate
50A shore cord @ 30 feet long (gauge size 6/3-8/1) Camco 55195
Manual transfer switch 63A rating, Baomain SZW26-63, plus a receptacle box to fit the switch inside, and cover plate.
50' of 10/2 Romex and 50' of 12/2 Romex
Plus, various screws, wire nuts, screws, zip ties and electrical tape.

About $250 in parts and 14 hours of my time.

Below is a picture of the A/C selector schematic, and a wiring diagram of the 50A hybrid schematic I made.

Still have to post pictures adding a larger shore cord hatch in the electrical compartment, and I still need to finish the carpet on the side wall where the transfer switch is mounted.

This is kinda what I was thinking. My Tropi-Cal has a thermostat that allows me to run both AC units on shore power but Not much more. The genny runs both as well but still I 'm butting my head up against the load limits with 30 Amps. Gonna study this well, Thanks!
Old 09-11-2018, 05:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherlite View Post
in the pic it shows 2 power meters 1 for each leg of the 50 amp power and I did adjust 1 a/c to the other line to try to even out the power split on the line . it is nice to see how much power we are using at any time

dave
Appreciate it. Love the power meters! Will use them.

Tags
power, upgrade