Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Vintage RV Owners Club
headliner /ceiling upholstery repair

OK .. I can rebuild a motor ..rebuild breaks on the side of the road ..but I can't do upholstery,,how do you reattach the ceiling ?? or do I need a shop to do it ??

kenjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Cloth? headliner contact cement..

Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
kenjh, we've got a 86 winnie bago I had to do the same thing. But mine was so old it was rotten. a head linner man wanted 1400 to replace it. I took mine all down, it has plywood be hind it. Bob Leadford a dealer here in SC asked me if I wanted to pay that..1400 is a chunk of change if you know what I mean.He advised me to take it down and clean up the plywood sand it down and paint it. hey a few days of work 30 bucks of paint its good to go. In your case if its not rotten or torn go to the place where it is loose find a starting place where you can pull it down get spray glue in a spray can like for car head linners glue it back up. It's not alot of work and will save toy a few dollars..
nanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
Last year I purchased a 79 Champion Grand Slam with a similar ceiling issue. First I took care of the roof. The moisture from leaking roofs will cause the stuff to delaminate and deteriorate. My fabric also had a thin foam backing on it that had dried out to a crumbly state. I also checked around for suggestions and painting was one of them. "Popcorn" ceiling pa it was also suggested.

What I ended up doing was tearing the fabric out to the edges of all the cabinetry, walls, etc, and then replacing it with cheap, white bathroom paneling. Looks a lot better and was fairly easy to install. The old addage, measure twice, cut once, is a good one to go by!

You can see pics of the whole thing here. http://m113.photobucket.com/albums/k...f5l0E%2F3yw%3D

Sorry for the long link! :-)
Driven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
We removed all the cabinets from our ceiling and removed all the old wall paper that was on the ceiling. I had one small spot in the front driver side corner that I opted to patch with a thin coat of bondo. After that we put a bright white vinyl on the ceiling using a industrial grade upholstery adhesive. Each roof panel is about four feet so we put 1/4"x 1" oak strips to cover the seams. It looks beautiful and is much brighter than the original plaid beige wall paper. The vinyl was about $200 from Michael's (a craft store here locally), $90 for five gallons of industrial adhesive, $20 for a cheap automotive spray paint gun, $50 for seven strips of oak, $15 for stain and clear coat. It took us awhile to complete because we were working multiple projects at once. However my wife and my mother-n-law just completely disassembled and removed the cabinets in my in-laws MH. Cleaned the whole roof, adhered the vinyl, reassembled and reinstalled the cabinets. Then removed the carpet on the drivers area and engine cover and re-carpeted all that and got it done in 6 1/2 days. This was the first time that my wife or mother-n-law had personally did any type of work of this nature. If you want I can post some pictures of my finished ceiling, just let me know.
Winnebeater is offline   Reply With Quote

ceiling, repair