Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2015, 07:21 AM   #1

Heat & sound insulation

I’d like to insulate the front of my RV better to limit the amount of heat and sound that get in. After the previous owner refurbished there were a few places that were left untouched. One main place was the very front where I can actually see my dash if I look up… There is about a 2” gap the runs the width of the coach. There are also several hole in the front for wire and such that I’d like to seal.

I’d like to do something around the cowl for heat and sound. I am worried about using any adhesive to attach to the bottom side of the cowl because of the heat. One though is to build a frame that holds the insulation that either mounts to the cowl or cowl area.

Finally I’d like to know if anyone has found options to insulating the underside of the coach. The area around the driver and passenger floors and front area.

Fire is my main concern with anything I put in. Since it’ll be close or directly over the engine I don’t want anything that can burn.

Anyone have any experience with Roxul? I’m thinking something that that might work. Even though it has no R vaule listed, I have read that it is similar to fiberglass insulation.
Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
arcaidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #2

Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When I insulated around my generator bay, I bought a high performance heat/sound blanket from Summit Racing, It is about 1/2" thick and can be put on with adhesive or what I did was use small short stainless screws with large fender washers to attach it to the walls.
if the area is to be exposed to rain slpash, then there are spray on foam applications that will do the trick as well. As far as adhesives, you need to find an A&P (read aircraft mechanic) and discuss heat and fire resistant adhesives made for the aircraft industry. You can probably find the same things out online at 3M....PM research, etc. If it's approved for high temp areas on aircraft, it will far exceed your needs.

Tim
RamblinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Subscribing as I would love to quiet and cool ours
all we have up front though is the genny, but still, road noise and heat and cool insulation would be great !

thinking of something like this
Old 08-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #4

I haven't even gotten to think of this yet but would love to quiet it down a bit as well upfront.
St. Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:42 PM   #5

I put some stuff together I got from Home Depot. I used pieces of Roxul and a radiant barrier. The Ruxul is basically fire proof, the barrier not so much. I used these on the cowl and noticed a big difference in sound and heat reduction. The cowl was warm to touch before but now stays cool. I glued down the Roxul and then glued the barrier on top of that. Then I put in some metal braces in for a mechanical hold. I also used the Roxul to fill in gaps around the front before sealing things up better.

I can hear sound coming from different areas now. There still needs to be some work done on the cowl to stop all hot air from making it in. I am not sure how I'll go about sealing up the edge yet. I am also unsure how I can use the Roxul in other areas. There is A LOT that comes in the bag. Its easy enough to work with but needs backing on both sides and I think it'd hold water if it got wet.

I am thinking about pulling the carpet up and doing something there for the rest of the front. Doing it underneath was my original thought but there is so much in the way it'd make it very difficult.
arcaidy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat