Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
Hello to all...We are new to the vintage and want to full time in one

hello everyone, the wife and i have sold our class a and now are aand have restored an old13ft shasta and now we are restoring an aristcrat laandcommandor with a very old go tag along not sure of year but it has an ice box not a fridg.which is turquise as is the stove and sink..no title or vin that i have found yet..it is a complete make over on thge inside but the outer skin is in exctremly good condition next in line, i also have found that under years of exterior paint overs it turquise as well....i have not been able to find out much info on the GTA,s so if anyone could help me with the year model and pics of what they looked like back in its day i would be very greatfull..

sorry for the rambling were just new to these oldies and are wanting to full time in one(not dedacted to these at all) and would love to know what vintaage campers are the best for wintering in..we live in kentucky where the winters can be cold or like this past winter with many days of subzero weather...i haave heard that the avion is very good, but would love to hear from you excperts what you would recomend..from excperince,,
were not dedacated to the vintage but would most certanly like to stay with the older campers or even small mh..
thanks for your time in reading and look forward to hearing from anyone..

bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #2

I think you'll find that the majority of vintage RV's were one season ( summer) use units, poor insulation in walls & ceiling , none in the floor , exposed tanks, and single pane windows. Trying to adapt them for winter use , could be an expensive undertaking.
Even modern RV's , sold as "winter ready" can be problematic in cold weather. Poor heat distribution and water lines prone to freezing.
If you're determined to proceed, look for a no slide unit, that suits your needs , as the slide floor and gaskets are the areas of biggest heat loss.

Good Luck in your search.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
thanks nfor ur input,,,you just put a smile on my wifes face,,,she has always said no sliders...lol
bap is offline   Reply With Quote

vintage, full time