Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #1

HELP! 1988 gulf stream sunsport 27' or 1988 holiday rambler 27'

Same price however
88 Holiday Rambler 67k miles has steel wrap around so repeals any possible water damage, has awning same generator as sunspot but no booth just two chairs small table up front and couch that turns to bed and twins in back...little more storage and count space but fridge is broken.

88 Gulf Stream 82k miles runs great like rambler, no water damage yet....everything works and has booth type seating with table in kitchen and lilies storage inside, no awning, and heater doesn't work. They used portable??? Full in back and table turns to fill for two kids. Not sure if one is known to have more problems than other, would love advice. And help cuz bubbie and I have NEVER RV'd

Same price
Amahlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amahlman
Same price however
88 Holiday Rambler 67k miles has steel wrap around so repeals any possible water damage, has awning same generator as sunspot but no booth just two chairs small table up front and couch that turns to bed and twins in back...little more storage and count space but fridge is broken.

88 Gulf Stream 82k miles runs great like rambler, no water damage yet....everything works and has booth type seating with table in kitchen and lilies storage inside, no awning, and heater doesn't work. They used portable??? Full in back and table turns to fill for two kids. Not sure if one is known to have more problems than other, would love advice. And help cuz bubbie and I have NEVER RV'd

Same price
Lots of lovely iPad changes in my post which for those of you that have one know iPad will change your words. Bubbie is hubbie and count is counter oh and lilies is little less.."thanks and sorry
Old 06-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since you are talking about a coach that is at least 23 years old, the best coach is going to be the one that was cared for and maintained the best. If they both suit your needs, go with the one that has a good maintenance history and has not been sitting for a long time without use. As always check the tire date codes (should be less then 6-7 years old) and function of all appliances. Have a mechanical inspection done if possible.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #4

Thank you!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #5

I agree with wantabee. Go with the one that has a better maintenance record or has been used. Even though I like the building of the HR the non-working frig is a concern. Could cost a couple of thousand to replace. I looked at 3 or 4 HR's and I couldn't find the one that suited us or had problems I didn't want to deal with. Good Luck

Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #6

a lot of the fridges come out windshield
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #7

I would lean toward the HR with the awning. The main concern for me would be the master bedroom. Are you content with twin beds or is a full size better suited. Personally, I prefer the twins because I don't always camp with my wife and I'm sure no one else wants to sleep with me. The fridge is going to cost at the least $500 to fix. If you want to replace, then the cost is going to be at least twice that if not more. Are they Chevy or Ford chassis (what's plural for chassis?)?
Old 06-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
a lot of the fridges come out windshield
In the 19 years I worked as an RV repairman I never had to take a refer out through the windshield. Worst case the cooling unit (assuming one is available) can be swapped out with the refer on the floor of the coach.

I like the construction of the HR as well. All else being equal, would consider it the better coach. There are a TON of variables here though.....
Old 06-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #9

Ok so I truly see the beauty in both and both seem to be in great condition. I like the outside of the HR and that it has a bit more cupboard space inside but I like the floor plan " dinette" and full bed in back with flat screen of the GS. The owner of the GS was a auto body guy so he has everything in tip top shape and just but new calipers on both front wheels, checked everything over and put new tires on. So I know he took great care of this rig. The heater is broken and he said he never messed with it and just used a portable when needed and that worked fine. I'm getting it for 5k so I feel like it's a great deal. I attached both rvs so u can see. The HR is 500$ more and with the fridge being broken and rips in couch I may just go with the GS, especially since I hear awnings are a pain anyway. I'd love to hear feedback. U guys r great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2102471776.png
Views:	486
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	11240   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-300177481.png
Views:	274
Size:	515.8 KB
ID:	11241  

Old 06-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #10

Oh and the GS is a chevy 454?
Old 06-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
Are they Chevy or Ford chassis (what's plural for chassis?)?
Well, I learned something today. The plural of chassis is chassis. The same word is used for both singular and plural. However, it is pronounced different. This has nothing to do with opting which motor home to buy, but the teacher in me had to pass it on anyway.
I'm glad you decided on the right motor home for you. I think you will be happy with it. As far as the awning goes, even though we have an awning, we carry a 12ft X 12ft easyup canopy that works as well if not better than the MH awning.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #12

Even though I have a HR like the one you are looking at and I love it, the GS seems to be in better shape. A portable heater will work fine. One thing to think about is getting parts when it breaks down. They don't make the alt, regulator or computer for them anymore and it is a real hassle to get them working again. I have been searching for months now for a climate control for mine. Seems most HR's are still on the road so there aren't many of them in salvage yards.
Good luck and welcome to the board!
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amahlman View Post
The HR is 500$ more and with the fridge being broken and rips in couch I may just go with the GS, especially since I hear awnings are a pain anyway. I'd love to hear feedback. U guys r great!
Don't be afraid to negotiate the price down. They are older units and probably not too many people making offers on them. Plan on putting some money into either one you decide to buy. I put much more money into my coach than I thought I would, mostly because I added upgrades and updates inside and out.
I personally would go with the GS, but I see a few HR fans here that may not agree. I am very happy with the overall quality of my MH. GS quality was good up until about 2003 when cost cutting and cheap labor became a factor in building coaches.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Don't be afraid to negotiate the price down. They are older units and probably not too many people making offers on them. Plan on putting some money into either one you decide to buy. I put much more money into my coach than I thought I would, mostly because I added upgrades and updates inside and out.
I personally would go with the GS, but I see a few HR fans here that may not agree. I am very happy with the overall quality of my MH. GS quality was good up until about 2003 when cost cutting and cheap labor became a factor in building coaches.
Deff this, I find that Motorhomes here in MA, on cape are not selling at all. The big sellers around here are the 4WD motorhomes because everyone takes them on the beach and they are even having trouble. They are not getting anything close to what they were getting 3-6 years ago. People will insist on listing there motorhomes at prices based for 5 years ago, not today.
Johnnyd111 is offline   Reply With Quote