Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #1

Help boondocking furnace quit canada!!!

If that isnt an S.O.S i don't know what is..lol
Some wires came off my 2 pole 15 amp breakers. The breaker was weak,i had another so i replaced it and put the wires back on.Now everything else is working properly but my furnace wont kick on. Propane all full etc. I have power going to the thermostat and there is power to the little tiny wire inside the thermostat.
The fan wont even come on.
Could it be my GFI in the bathroom plug? It has a yellow and red button on it and usually u can click them on and off cant you? This plug in works fine but you can't click it off and reset it. Could that be the issue why the furnace/fan wont kick on? I've found some info on here but want to ask the question about the GFI first.
tested it with ohm meter and it has 118 volts with generator running.
All fuses are good that go to the furnace.Are there other fuses behind the converter maybe? I tested the 8 fuses in the converter and all r good.

Help please! It's getting cold!!!!! -9C and it's going to get colder overnight...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #2

P.S its a 1983 Fleetwood pace Arrow 28 footer MotorHome and the furnace is a Suburban gas furnace model SF-30.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rollnsmoke, Remember your furnace is 12 volts only. Check your house batteries.

Mike
Old 11-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #4

House batteries are all brand new and fully charged. I have 12.7 volts at all the fuses.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #5

Where are you? Maybe I can recommend a service shop...
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is the thermostat old enough to have a Bi-metal coil with points? If so, try cleaning the points with a biz. card or sand paper.

Mike
Old 11-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #7

It has the coil and when you move the thermostat lever over there is a little magnet type thing and u here it click...is that what u r calling the points? i grabed my ohm meter and was was probing around to check voltage and boom! the heater kicked on!! I was messing around with the thermostat the other day, didn't disconnect anything just testing for power and it wouldn't do anything...? Then today it starts??

Any this model is the sf-30..Does any one know how many btu's this furnace puts out? Funny thing is a had the back plate off the furnace and normally it has two ducts to the back and two to the front. The front ones hardly put out any heat at all and the back ones or nothing to brag about either...but with the back cover off this thing throws some serious heat!Looks like alot of the heat was going to the water tank/water lines area. Way more heat than I need down there. I think I might be able to actually have a half descent nights sleep without having to throw a woodstove in this rig right away...lol

So if those are the points I will clean that area but will wait to here back from someone.Who hoo! Heat! No more climbing up on mountaintops to get cell phone service so i can go on IRV2! lol
Old 11-12-2011, 06:55 AM   #8

SF-30 = 30,000 BTU
If this is a standard SF-30 then the service manual is here: http://www.brwholesale.com/itemNotes...ice_Manual.pdf

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #9

Ok back in civilization... The heater has been working fine. I was just a little groove wore into the tab that contacts the little pin for the furnaace to turn on. I cleaned it and it has been fine since.

Still not overly warm but this motorhome wasn't desined for winter camping...lol

I barely got out of the mountains..it got windy and snowed on and off for three days...I was at work everyday, and after the third night shift I decide it was do or die..the snow was a foot deep and if you get messed up on a window mountain road,you may not live to talk about the cliff you just drove off..lol Going to try and post some pictures under the boon docking section....
Old 11-17-2011, 11:32 PM   #10

P.S thanks for everyones help!!!!! very appreciated

Tags
boondocking, furnace