Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #43

When I got my 84 Holiday Rambler the carb was shot. The Chevy Truck Center suggested installing an Edelbrock Performa 1406 on mine, which they did. However, it didn't put out the performance that the Quadrajet did and it had a high pitch scream when climbing hills or when extra power was required. The 1406 is a 600cfm carb whereas the Quad is a 750. People have told me that it doesn't make any difference but I sure think it did. I sent the Quad off to a carb rebuilding place in Florida that specializes in Quadrajets. They rebuilt it and sent it back. It works like new, now. However, the Edelbrock is a much simpler carb and very well made. The company support is great and the installation is fairly simple. If I was to do it again, I would order a Performa 1407. You will have to buy an adapter plate since the Edelbrock has all four bores the same size whereas the Quad has small primaries and large secondaries.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #44

i bet it a pilot choke what a pos look at the choke iis there a wire

Old 08-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #45

Definately the carb to use would be the 1411 with quad adapter
Old 08-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoarcher View Post
Definately the carb to use would be the 1411 with quad adapter
Why the 1411 over the 1407? Not trying to start an argument, but trying to clarify. Both are 750 cfm but the main jets on the 1407 are .113 where the 1411 are .110. Which would work better in a motorhome situation? I really don't know and would like to have some insight.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
When I got my 84 Holiday Rambler the carb was shot. The Chevy Truck Center suggested installing an Edelbrock Performa 1406 on mine, which they did. However, it didn't put out the performance that the Quadrajet did and it had a high pitch scream when climbing hills or when extra power was required. The 1406 is a 600cfm carb whereas the Quad is a 750. People have told me that it doesn't make any difference but I sure think it did. I sent the Quad off to a carb rebuilding place in Florida that specializes in Quadrajets. They rebuilt it and sent it back. It works like new, now. However, the Edelbrock is a much simpler carb and very well made. The company support is great and the installation is fairly simple. If I was to do it again, I would order a Performa 1407. You will have to buy an adapter plate since the Edelbrock has all four bores the same size whereas the Quad has small primaries and large secondaries.
You got told wrong about the 600cfm and dont know why.. It does indeed make a difference, especially on a big block. 1407 and 1411 carbs are 750cfm..
Old 08-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #48

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
Why the 1411 over the 1407? Not trying to start an argument, but trying to clarify. Both are 750 cfm but the main jets on the 1407 are .113 where the 1411 are .110. Which would work better in a motorhome situation? I really don't know and would like to have some insight.
Just a little leaner mixture for better MPG and EPA.. Nothing really dramatic though..
Old 08-25-2012, 04:44 AM   #49

first i like the q-jet as above look at the choke mine had the pilot choke i replaced the bi metal spring the choke worked a year or 2 changed to a electric choke i even had a unused fuse for it
Old 08-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #50

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 87 454 Bounder had the same carb. Rather than convert it to another carb and deal with all the various smog connections on this model, i just rebuilt mine. The model # is on the side of the carb. Got a rebuild kit from NAPA (also found them on the internet). I did it myself, but there is a local carb shop where i live that also could have done it. Ran great when i was done.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:06 AM   #51

i agree i can rebuild pretty much any carb learned in my racing days a q=jet can be touchy if you have never done one but not bad the local carb shop charges just over $200 so its pricy i thought the carb size was a 850 cfm
Old 08-26-2012, 05:34 AM   #52

First off the Q-jet is a very good carb, the edelbrock replacement is just the old carter carb. Your carb will most likely start out with pn 1708xxxx . Just take that pn to your local parts house and buy a kit and a float. next buy a product called purple power. dissasseble carb. becarefull of the metering rods on the primary side, they are easy to remove. take a pair of needle nose pliers and gentley pry up. the rest is easy. Just study the parts beakdown in the O.H. kit. I have O.H. hundreds of these carbs, prob the best carb to ever be used in the last 50 yrs. STAY AWAY from HOLLEY carbs JUNK
Old 08-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #53
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender View Post
First off the Q-jet is a very good carb, the edelbrock replacement is just the old carter carb....
I will bow to the real world experience on particulars on carb overhaul.
Kinda' like rebuilding automatic transmissions, I think that Carb work is one of the "Darks Arts" of the mechanical world...that does not involve typical logic, and the mechanic needs to have specific knowledge/experience to do it right the first time.

But, I do know that my Edelbrock is not just an old Carter design. I replaced a Carter on a small block V8 I have. While the pieces and parts must be the same (bowl, floats, idle circuit, accelerator pump...etc,) there is a world of difference in the overall design and layout in the Edlebrock.

The point made above about the cost of a rebuild being just a few dollars different from the price of a new Eblebrock is true in my experience. That is why I picked the replacement vs. the rebuild.

And, I kept the old Carter and had it rebuilt a few months later...It is in a box as a spare for the day if/when I need it.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #54

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Either way wont do you wrong... If you can rebuild a Carter yourself, it will be cheaper. Otherwise its pretty much a wash..
Old 08-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Before you do anything with the carb double check for vaccum leaks. Get a can of carb cleaner and while the engine is running spray it around and see if the idle changes, there is a lot of hoses that could be bad.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #56

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
Before you do anything with the carb double check for vaccum leaks. Get a can of carb cleaner and while the engine is running spray it around and see if the idle changes, there is a lot of hoses that could be bad.
Also spray around the gasket on the underside of the carb. We had an annoying vacuum leak for quite a while- discovered it was the big, thick carb gasket when it blew out a huge chunk running down the road (and pretty much quit running as soon as we pulled it over)

A mechanic later told us that a cracked gasket is very common in these old units.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote