Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #1

Help How to remove Dometic refrig. 1971 camper?

As some of you may know we recently bought a 1971 Cobra TC and now we are getting into the fixing part. Found the Dometic refrigerator needs to come out. Going to replace it with an AC model. The thing is I see NO way to get it out short of cutting the cabinet to pcs. and of course it is also still hooked to a gas line somewhere in there.

So can ANYONE help with advice on how to remove this thing? was going to get started tomorrow.
arwenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #2

I worked on a lot of stuff that vintage, and never had a problem? The refer door almost always has to come off, and sometimes the hinge brackets that hold the door. From there, it's just a case of holding your mouth right....
Old 06-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #3

There should be a panel on the outside of the unit that you can remove to get access to the back of the fridge to get to the gas line.
want2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #4

there should be four screws around the inside of the door or like mine the outside of the refer cabinet..chances are you will need to take it apart to get it out of the camper...as posted unhook gas from outside acess panel..
Old 06-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The unit will be anchored with some screws which are visible in outside compartment. There may be a couple under the trim inside. The door comes off. Gas and electric (if it has any) will be in the outside compartment.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #6

And it weights a ton! I got mine out but it was ugly!
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
And it weights a ton! I got mine out but it was ugly!
Can you explain how you got it out and what you mean by ugly?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It does weight a ton and it took two of us slide it out and then lift it down to the floor. You may also find out that the old frig may not fit through the door unless you remove rear frame that holds the workings of the frig. Hopefully the frig you are replacing it with fits through the same door.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:03 AM   #9

I'm doing a complete gut on my MH and when the fridge came out I had to remove everything, to fit through the door. When I moved it, I scraped the counter-top, floor and door jamb before tossing it into the driveway. You need two or three guys minimum, after you strip the fridge! You're going to have to lift it and turn it, to get it out. I'm thinking of letting the dealer put in my new one (I'll remove the bamboo floor), but I'm $1200 away from doing that!
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:28 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out "You Tube" "RV Fridge Install" several videos of removing and repairing the fridg.. A picture is worth a thousand words. Youtube, its not just kids doing stupid stuff.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:34 AM   #11

One option is to remove a window, not hard if you have a large one they fit through there easier that the door sometime, just sayin...

Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #12

here is a pic of the refrigerator in quesiton.

it extends maybe 8 inches lower than is shown here.

I think I am going to end up cutting it out, and while it may be heavy I don't think it will be THAT heavy it is about the size of a small dorm fridge. I am replacing it with a taller regular fridge what has a separate freezer compartment with door. I am still working on getting the grill off the outside to access the back to see if that helps at all.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I found after removing door I removed the cooling unit from back of fridge....much lighter and easier to move in two pieces. Also much easier and lighter to reinstall in two pieces...
Mduell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:33 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
As earlier mentioned there are screws holding it in. They may be around the perimeter of the fridge (hidden when the door is closed) and also maybe a couple along the front bottom edge, also maybe a couple in the back bottom corners.
Getting the outside panel off should be easy and involve a couple screws or twist locks at the bottom corners of the panel. You shouldn't have to cut any cabinetry to get the fridge out...
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic