Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornville View Post
Hey Nick,

I went out to the trailer before the big storm and took a look at the tongue and found a number stamped on the triangle that is part of the hitch. Not the same number as the number on my registration. 417 233 Maybe it is the part number for the hitch.

I did post a picture in the photo section and put some on this thread. I'll put up some more now.

Looks like we'll be digging out tomorrow.

Later,

Wayland
Hey Wayland,
I found a little more information on these Swiss Colonies.... there are a couple of folks on the Vintage Shasta Forum that dug up some neat info. The more I look at what he posted, I think yours is actually an earlier vintage than '68, more like '63 or '64! In the link to the forum below there is a picture of a 1963 that looks alot like yours, with a full stripe of color down the side and the outside corners/edges are squared off, where his '66 and my (presumably) '65 have rounded edges. I think the turquoise sink and exterior paint are earlier touches too. Let me know what you think.....

Vintage Shasta Trailer Forum - 1966 Swiss Colony 17RW

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Swiss Colony Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP178 View Post
Hey Wayland,
I found a little more information on these Swiss Colonies.... there are a couple of folks on the Vintage Shasta Forum that dug up some neat info. The more I look at what he posted, I think yours is actually an earlier vintage than '68, more like '63 or '64! In the link to the forum below there is a picture of a 1963 that looks alot like yours, with a full stripe of color down the side and the outside corners/edges are squared off, where his '66 and my (presumably) '65 have rounded edges. I think the turquoise sink and exterior paint are earlier touches too. Let me know what you think.....

Vintage Shasta Trailer Forum - 1966 Swiss Colony 17RW

Hey Nick,

That Shasta link was informative. I think you are right. My trailer is a '64 according to the list that was there. The registration I have probably got some wrong info over the years and no one corrected it. When I go to re-register I will try and correct it

Thanks for the info.

Wayland

Old 03-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #31
kll

Swiss Colony Owner,
I wanted to let you know that my father was the owner of Swiss Colony which were built in Elkhart, IN. We came across this web site by accident and were elated to see a Swiss Colony. I know for a fact that my father will be able to help you should you have questions about the travel trailer. He is 88 years old but still sharp as a tack. He would love to be of help to you or any other owners of a Swiss Colony.
Kayleen (daughter)
Old 03-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #32
kll

Dear Nick,
My father was the owner of Swiss Colony Travel Trailers in Elkhart, IN . He is 88 years old but will be glad to provide you with any information about your Swiss Colony. It was our family business and we were elated to see a Swiss Colony on this web site.
Kayleen (daughter)
Old 03-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
1964 Swiss Colony

Quote:
Originally Posted by kll View Post
Swiss Colony Owner,
I wanted to let you know that my father was the owner of Swiss Colony which were built in Elkhart, IN. We came across this web site by accident and were elated to see a Swiss Colony. I know for a fact that my father will be able to help you should you have questions about the travel trailer. He is 88 years old but still sharp as a tack. He would love to be of help to you or any other owners of a Swiss Colony.
Kayleen (daughter)
Hi Kayleen,

Thank you for your post. I have so many questions, but I will make a list later to ask of you. One thing that would be interesting would be a short history of the company and how your dad got started in the business.

I have the tourquise and white 1964 trailer that is posted. I just found out that it was a 64. I bought it as a 68, but like it even more as a 64. My wife and I travel around Maine and have camped in it for just one season. We hope to have it for many more. We get a lot of comments on it wherever we stop. We continue to fix it up. It is a fine little camper.

Best regards,

Wayland
Old 03-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Hi Kayleen,

Thank you for your post. I have so many questions, but I will make a list later to ask of you. One thing that would be interesting would be a short history of the company and how your dad got started in the business.

I have the tourquise and white 1964 trailer that is posted. I just found out that it was a 64. I bought it as a 68, but like it even more as a 64. My wife and I travel around Maine and have camped in it for just one season. We hope to have it for many more. We get a lot of comments on it wherever we stop. We continue to fix it up. It is a fine little camper.

Best regards,

Wayland
Kayleen, that is a wonderful offer. I am most curious what the model name is of my trailer. Like Wayland said, any history would be awesome. Like where the name came from.....
If your father still has any literature on these, I would love to see it.

Wayland, I didn't realize you were in Maine! My wife and I live right in Portland. I found my trailer listed as a "1980's camper" on Craigslist in a little backwoods town in New Hampshire. I knew I was on to something when I saw the birch interior.
We should meet up this summer and have the "Worlds Largest Swiss Colony Camper Gathering....Now including TWO trailers!"

Cheers,
Nick
Old 03-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Small World

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP178 View Post
Kayleen, that is a wonderful offer. I am most curious what the model name is of my trailer. Like Wayland said, any history would be awesome. Like where the name came from.....
If your father still has any literature on these, I would love to see it.

Wayland, I didn't realize you were in Maine! My wife and I live right in Portland. I found my trailer listed as a "1980's camper" on Craigslist in a little backwoods town in New Hampshire. I knew I was on to something when I saw the birch interior.
We should meet up this summer and have the "Worlds Largest Swiss Colony Camper Gathering....Now including TWO trailers!"

Cheers,
Nick
Hey Nick,
I found my trailer in Craig's List also. It was in Buxton. We made two trips down from Cornville to see it and pick it up.

I have a son who lives in Portland and we visit quite often. We'll have to meet up on one of our trips.

I'm going to try and change my year when I register this year. Also get the right numbers on it too.

The tarp comes off soon and spring clean-up will begin. Hope there will not be too many mouse nests in it.

Later,

Wayland
Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #36
kll

History of Swiss Colony Travel Trailers:
Incorporated in 1955 as Herrli Industries in Elkhart, IN where mobile homes were built. Approx. 1960 they started to build travel trailers in addition to mobile homes. The family was 3rd generation "Swiss" and had four family members involved in the company and therefore the name became Swiss Colony. (division of Herrli Industries). Swiss Colony travel trailers were built from 1960-1980.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thank you for the history Kayleen. There was a sticker on the front and back of my trailer. As I fix it up I wonder if you knew what the tag line was. It had the Swiss Colony log and under it was something else. Do you know what that was? I would like to replace those. I'll have one of my sons replicate it on their computer and have it printed.

Does your dad remember the dealer network and who the company was that might have sold the trailers in northern New England?

Thanks again for your help and interest.

Regards,

Wayland
Old 03-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #38
kll

Swiss Colony

Wayland,
The logo was Swiss Colony (the "C" was encircled as if it were a clock) and underneath were the words: Time for Happy Traveling.
I spoke with my father yesterday (he now lives in Durham, NC) and right off the top of his head, he couldn't remember who the dealer was in your area. He said he would try to get any information to you should it come to mind.
On a lighter note, I use to clean the Swiss Colony company office (years ago 1975-1977) every Saturday my junior and senior years of high school. My dad use to fill up my gas tank as my payment. The good old days !
Kayleen

OTE=Cornville;1496735]Thank you for the history Kayleen. There was a sticker on the front and back of my trailer. As I fix it up I wonder if you knew what the tag line was. It had the Swiss Colony log and under it was something else. Do you know what that was? I would like to replace those. I'll have one of my sons replicate it on their computer and have it printed.

Does your dad remember the dealer network and who the company was that might have sold the trailers in northern New England?

Regards,

Wayland[/QUOTE]
Old 04-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by kll View Post
Wayland,
The logo was Swiss Colony (the "C" was encircled as if it were a clock) and underneath were the words: Time for Happy Traveling.
I spoke with my father yesterday (he now lives in Durham, NC) and right off the top of his head, he couldn't remember who the dealer was in your area. He said he would try to get any information to you should it come to mind.
On a lighter note, I use to clean the Swiss Colony company office (years ago 1975-1977) every Saturday my junior and senior years of high school. My dad use to fill up my gas tank as my payment. The good old days !
Kayleen

The tag line seems appropriate as my Grandkids call me " Happy ". The little camper made it through the winter with no problems. I have it in the driveway and am getting it prepped for some Happy Traveling. Thanks again. Wayland

OTE=Cornville;1496735]Thank you for the history Kayleen. There was a sticker on the front and back of my trailer. As I fix it up I wonder if you knew what the tag line was. It had the Swiss Colony log and under it was something else. Do you know what that was? I would like to replace those. I'll have one of my sons replicate it on their computer and have it printed.

Regards,

Wayland
[/QUOTE]
Old 04-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spring spruce up

Quote:
Hey Nick,

That Shasta link was informative. I think you are right. My trailer is a '64 according to the list that was there. The registration I have probably got some wrong info over the years and no one corrected it. When I go to re-register I will try and correct it

Thanks for the info.

Wayland
Hey Nick,

The trailer's in the drive way. It did well under the tarp no major problems. I was able to register it as a 1964 based on the info you sent. Thanks. I also got the serial number correct now. We hope to camp at Sewall in Acadia in mid May.

Hope we can have a Swiss Colony rally this summer.

Regards,

Wayland
Old 07-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #41

Talking New member w 18' Swiss Colony!

Hi all! I've been reading your posts and thanks to you, I finally found the serial# on my old camper! I am applying for a lost title, as it was abandoned in a campground in Illinois. I am so excited to begin to fix her up! It's in pretty good shape with a little water damage, but has a lot of the original things in good shape. Trying to figure out the year from the serrial # 717 977 (may be a 7th number, hard to make it out). Any help or comments will be appreciated! Also there's a good photo of the logo and motto on the front, "Swiss Colony, Time for Happy Traveling"! I am posting some photos for your enjoyment! Thanks, Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0406031223.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	42258   Click image for larger version

Name:	0406031222.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	42259  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0406031223a.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	42260   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9212.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	42261  

Old 07-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yo Kevin, great find. Does your trailer have laminate or birch plywood inside? I have a list somewhere that lets you know the year by the serial number. I will post it when I find it. There was some info on the Shasta site about Swiss Colony's. Good luck with your fix up.