Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Help; I'm being Forced To Change Tire Size

My present Vintage Unit (Noah's initials all over it) has a tire size I am having trouble finding. The size is 875R X 16.5 and I will have to switch as I am being told that nobody makes this size any longer.

If I go down to 16" from the 16.5" what is the size I will need to keep the same circumference so that all my other stuff (speedometer, odometer, cruise) still works and sets properly?

If I go 17" will I have the same problem I'm having now?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #2

You can have the gear in the transmission changed to compensate the odometer and speedometer. Being that most are computerized it should take care of the cruise too.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:17 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
You can have the gear in the transmission changed to compensate the odometer and speedometer. Being that most are computerized it should take care of the cruise too.
Somehow, I suspect that given he has 16.5" rims, which is a remnant of the 60s and 70s, that his odo/speedo is likely a good old fashion cable drive vs a computer, which means if he needs to recalibrate it he has to buy a new speedo gear for the transmission specific to a cable driven speedo.

You can still find that tire size, but its as rare as hen's teeth. I know a dealer who still can get them in up to 9.00x16.5, but they'd likely be in a bias ply vs radial.

Go to your local little dealer, find an OK tire if you can, mainly you want the one with the guy that still has the old paper tire books. He can get he overall tire diameter of your existing tire and then match it closely to a modern radial.

The rims + the tires are going to be a sticker shock for certain.

Remember to get Load Range E on yer radials in a LT tire (No P tires).
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:35 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
This where we get them in So Cal, they have them in stock.
Fairmount Tire & Rubber - Los Angeles, CA, 90044 - Citysearch
They carry nylon and steel belted. A buddy of mine bought his in Moreno Valley, Ca, paid $165.00 per tire installed. Fairmount is cheaper but was not close to him. Many shops can get these tires but they have to order them.
J
Old 01-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #5

The wheels are going to be pricey, but if you have an RV or medium truck scrap yard near you it might be possible to find a good set of used rims. Look for any damage or cracking where the center part of the wheel is welded to the outer part.
If money isn't an concern go for new, but used will work if you have to go that route.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Somehow, I suspect that given he has 16.5" rims, which is a remnant of the 60s and 70s, that his odo/speedo is likely a good old fashion cable drive vs a computer, which means if he needs to recalibrate it he has to buy a new speedo gear for the transmission specific to a cable driven speedo.
Right you are foxy. My unit is a 77 Chev Van 30 Chassis unit. These are pre computer by a week or two.
Quote:

You can still find that tire size, but its as rare as hen's teeth. I know a dealer who still can get them in up to 9.00x16.5, but they'd likely be in a bias ply vs radial.
The seven we have now (all new) were purchased last September as we endured the trip from hell. At one tire shop in Calgary AB the guy had been prewarned we were coming by the place we stopped at in Regina SK so he managed to dig up the one we needed to replace the now blown spare. He told us at that time that we were getting the last one at his franchise in the whole of the west coast of Canada. USA direct cannot get that size for me at any of their stores either.
Quote:

Go to your local little dealer, find an OK tire if you can, mainly you want the one with the guy that still has the old paper tire books. He can get he overall tire diameter of your existing tire and then match it closely to a modern radial.
I will check this, thanks
Quote:

The rims + the tires are going to be a sticker shock for certain.

Remember to get Load Range E on yer radials in a LT tire (No P tires).
Yup The gentleman at USA direct quoted me $1700 taxes in mounted and balanced for 16" tires. But that doesn't include the $200.00 + ferry to and from the mainland and the 300 miles round trip of gas. I thank you for your help and I definitely want the radials in LT E as the ride is better and steer of less an issue.

Dennis
Old 01-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
This where we get them in So Cal, they have them in stock.
Fairmount Tire & Rubber - Los Angeles, CA, 90044 - Citysearch
They carry nylon and steel belted. A buddy of mine bought his in Moreno Valley, Ca, paid $165.00 per tire installed. Fairmount is cheaper but was not close to him. Many shops can get these tires but they have to order them.
J
J, Thanks for the information but I think I will go the 16" route but to a size that matches my present outside diameter of the mounted inflated wheel. If tire companies are starting to abandon the tire size I may as well get on with life and change to something available across the continent.

Dennis
Old 01-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
J, Thanks for the information but I think I will go the 16" route but to a size that matches my present outside diameter of the mounted inflated wheel. If tire companies are starting to abandon the tire size I may as well get on with life and change to something available across the continent.

Dennis
Then I would look into the 17" tires that came on the 2006 and up Dodge dually. I have them on my Dodge truck and they are nice. Get the chrome simulators to go with them and BAM! you'll be hot.
J
Old 01-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Here is an online tire size caculator.
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing
Old 01-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Here is an online tire size caculator.
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing
The size recommended by this calculator is available to me here in Port Alberni in 16" LTs for under $100.00 per tire. Now waiting to see if my buddy who owns the local auto wrecker can get me 7 quality 16" eight bolt Chevy rims.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #11

Thumbs down changing sizes

just went through this same situation a 225-75-16 is slightly smaller then your current tire size. I went with a 235-85- 16 it is larger and has a better weight rating it will slow my tire revs by fifty per mile which will bring my speed o back almost right BUT if you do this double ck your clearances mine are good with my air bags down(think worst case ) all I had to do was move my exhaust forward slightly, was too close before tire replacement you can still order 16.5 tires but that is no help on the road side.

good luck
Old 01-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwf16129 View Post
just went through this same situation a 225-75-16 is slightly smaller then your current tire size. I went with a 235-85- 16 it is larger and has a better weight rating it will slow my tire revs by fifty per mile which will bring my speed o back almost right BUT if you do this double ck your clearances mine are good with my air bags down(think worst case ) all I had to do was move my exhaust forward slightly, was too close before tire replacement you can still order 16.5 tires but that is no help on the road side.

good luck
I'm going a little closer to the original at 235/75R16 because of dually clearances. It is within the acceptable according to my future tire supplier. The tires (all 7) on my old girl are all with six months old so this will keep me in operation (I hope) for at least two years. It will take that long to find the rims according to my supplier Chuck. Not many older trucks with 8 bolt sixteens coming in for demolition any more.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more
Old 01-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
When I clicked on the link it said *Not available for International Shipping* and the price was quoted at $269.95 which is about 3 times what I was quoted across town from where I live.

Thanks for the link though.