Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Help! New 6v batteries, but no power to coach.

Last fall we purchased a 33' 1989 Fleetwood Southwind with a 454. Health issues have kept us from traveling, but a while back, wife went to start genny and one of the pair of 12v coach batteries exploded, taking the 2nd battery with it.
We decided to rebuild the battery box and install 4 6v batteries, which I just finished doing. A new converter is currently on the way (or so says the ebay seller).
I believe I have everything wired correctly, but no 12v power to the rig. The genny tries to start, but acts like it is drawing on a low battery.

I have banged my head against the coach repeatedly, but that has not cured the problem- any other suggestions????

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
How exactly did you wire the four 6 volt batteries together ?

Cummins 6BT5.9
Brian Cloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Check the voltage at the genny, is it 6 or12?
J
Old 08-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cloke View Post
How exactly did you wire the four 6 volt batteries together ?
Hi. I taught electricity and electronics at high school level, so I'm sure they're ok. I hooked two batteries in series ( - TO +, USING THE OTHER - & + AS OUTPUT) and then hooked those in parallel. The readings on both sets are right(12+ volts) and the parallel connections read ok(12+ volts).

Thanks for responding, and thanks for any suggestions.

Bill Hardy

Old 08-25-2010, 11:04 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
answer to goldwinger

I didn't get the genny started, but it is a 12 volt genny. I didn't check the voltage from the batteries at the start switch this time. I will do that.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
OK the batteries are wired correctly. Usually the generator has its own battery. I am thinking that as this coach is new to you maybe the gen starting battery is hidden away somewhere and has nothing to do with lack of power to the coach. These electrical problems are often quite baffling.
Cheers.
Brian.

Cummins 6BT5.9
Brian Cloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #7

Not quick enough...

Depending on your MH the generator may have its own battery, some do, many do not.

So disconnect the new battery and confirm voltage at generator.

Since the batteries exploded when the generator was trying to start it is safe to assume they are connected to the generator, but not safe to assume generator does not have its own battery, who knows what was done in the past.

I would suspect internal damage to one of the batteries that when the generator was cranking the high current load caused a spark and lit it up.

Sounds like the wiring back to the generator is ok, but it does not take much current to make the spark, a loose connection elsewhere will allow the spark and not allow the generator to work.

Next, confirm all connections, battery acid does many things, the batteries gass off and this can cause problems anywhere in the space that contains the batteries.

Some MH have very long cable run from battery to generator that can drop a few volts if the current is high, the generator also is usually single wire connection for power meaning the return path is simple chasis ground.

Problem here is no solid connection, so double check connections at the generator, make sure there is a seperate ground wire from the engine to the frame and that both ends are clean, solid and tight.

While you are at it, make sure the safety ground for the output is properly connected, sometimes these are a seperate #12 wire that may have come loose.

Lastly, monitor the voltage at the generator while starting to see if it drops too much, repair as required.

Good luck.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You say the battery exploaded.. I have a guess or 3.

Most rigs have two "Usual suspects" and of course there is always the 3rd but hopefully you did not do that one.

Usual suspect #1.. Disconnect switch.. ON or OFF?

Usual suspect #2 (Prime suspect) circuit breaker or master fuse.

These come in several fllavors....

Many rigs have the common little metal can with two studs in plastic self-resetting breaker somewhere near the battery.. This is about the size of an old fashion ice cube (not the modern mini-cubes of today) Sometimes they fail.

Another type is a pair of POST TYPE breakers on the bottom of the battery control center.. Inteltec shows these in the schematic for my battery control center but.. NOT THERE.

You push UP on the posts.. And I am told to push hard.

I have a somewhat larger than an Ice cube 80 amp plastic encased thermal self-resetting breaker next to the BCC.

And some rigs have fuses.. It may be near the battery or it may be on the 12 volt distribution panel (Magnetek converters have them there, I Suspect some parallex do too)

You will need, a test lamp. Since you taught I won't bother with all the details but I used a socket (With two leads) for a license plate lamp.. (Blade style bulb) and bulb, Some more wire and a couple of test clips completes it.

FOLLOW your 12 volts.. Start at the battery, Clip to positive and negative LIGHT is good, Dark is bad I expect light

Now move one clip to the chassis .. Still light.. GOOD, move out along the POSITIVE lead to the next terminal, and the next, and the next till you no longer "See the light"

Since you taught I do not thing I need to tell you the problem is between the last bright terminal and the dark one
Old 08-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks to you all!! You all have given me much to think about and try. I'll be back as I make progress (or not ).
THANKS again!

Bill H.