Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:46 AM   #1

Help! New Vintage 1985 Winnebago Superchief

Just pick up a 1985 Superchief I replaced the batteries got interior lights but no dash power. Who can I get to come to Richmond to take a look at it and get it running for me. Then I need a shop to give it the once over and help me understand this monster.

I hope I have fun in it my wife has wanted one for so long. Just dont want it to turn into the money pit.

Any information or thoughts would be appreciated

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:52 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club

Welcome to the forum

Has this unit been sitting up long? Will it turn over at all?

Old 10-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #3

Are you sure about the year on your SuperChief? I thought the SC didn't come out until 1988. Nevertheless, that is a really nice motorhome. Don't worry about it becoming a money pit. It will! They all do to some extent. You say you don't have power to the dash. I'm unclear about that. Do you mean there isn't any electricity to the dash or that you have no power to the engine. You are aware there is a separate battery to the engine. Most motor homes have a MOM switch on the dash that momentarily uses the coach batteries to power up the motor. You might look for that. There are two separate fuse blocks for the chassis and coach plus several inline fuses scattered about. Any of those could be blown. Whatever it is, hope you find it.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #4

I had an '84 (and who knows, maybe w/some visual refresher I'd even remember something useful ;-).
Assuming it was problematic when it was parked, and you have good batteries & good battery connections, the ignition switch is suspect on older rigs.
Assuming it was parked, then monkeyed with, could be anything that didn't get back together very well.

I will be in the SF Bay Thursday. PM me w/your contact info if you want me to have a look.

p.s. if the rig has sat under trees, check the aluminum roof skin carefully for pitting.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #5

The Winnebago website has all kinds of manuals and such (even some vintage units) so it may be worth a try to look there for whatever manuals you might need. We definitely need more info on your symptoms though.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #6

SuperChief19,
Wish I could help with you problems, but others here are more capable than me. Just wanted to say Congrats on the MH and you'll have her up and going in no time. A little TLC goes a long way!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
I had an '84 (and who knows, maybe w/some visual refresher I'd even remember something useful ;-).
Assuming it was problematic when it was parked, and you have good batteries & good battery connections, the ignition switch is suspect on older rigs.
Assuming it was parked, then monkeyed with, could be anything that didn't get back together very well.

I will be in the SF Bay Thursday. PM me w/your contact info if you want me to have a look.

p.s. if the rig has sat under trees, check the aluminum roof skin carefully for pitting.
Anyone in the area that can help pls call me 415-710-9772
There is no power to the dash at all. So the engine will not crank. The home only has 28,000 miles so i doubt that it is a major problem. Just me someone who doesn have the slightest idea what they are doing? my email address is elmer.shannon@att.net please send any help my way
Old 10-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #8

rig was out in the open no trees. just a lot of sun..
Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafter View Post
SuperChief19,
Wish I could help with you problems, but others here are more capable than me. Just wanted to say Congrats on the MH and you'll have her up and going in no time. A little TLC goes a long way!
your rig is amazing... wow
Old 10-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChief19 View Post
rig was out in the open no trees. just a lot of sun..
You might try jumping the starter solonoid just to see if it will crank over, then we can help from there.

Be sure to check all your battery ground connections. especially the one from the battery ground wire to the chassis.

All my years of shade tree working on boats and cars has taught me one good thing, about 90% of electrical issues are caused by a bad ground
Old 10-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:

Where is the SF Bay area, is that San Francisco Bay or somewhere else??
Old 10-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Just pick up a 1985 Superchief I replaced the batteries got interior lights but no dash power. Who can I get to come to Richmond to take a look at it and get it running for me. Then I need a shop to give it the once over and help me understand this monster.

I hope I have fun in it my wife has wanted one for so long. Just dont want it to turn into the money pit.

Any information or thoughts would be appreciated
Richmond..
VA ?
BC ?
KY ?
CA ?

Ah I see, CA by area code.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #13

Quote:

Is there a electrical cut off switch in the front of the super chief is so where is it located?? I left my phone number are you in the bay area today thurs and fri? 415-710-9772
Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Is there a electrical cut off switch in the front of the super chief is so where is it located?? I left my phone number are you in the bay area today thurs and fri? 415-710-9772
Any update on this problem?
I just bought a '89 Superchief and there were 2 disconnects right in front of you when you opened the hood. Turned them on and started it up. I would like to hear what others have problems with.
Les

Tags
vintage, winnebago