Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #1

Help! Old onan generator problem

Hello, I have a 83 hr alumalite 30' class A, and the generator ran fine a few months ago. now it won't run unless you pour gas into the top of the carburetor. There is plenty of fuel flowing out of the fuel pump into the carb, but none getting into the venturi. I took the carb off and used carburetor cleaner on all the ports, etc. Took it apart and the floats are working, the bowl was full of fuel but none getting into the engine. After cleaning it thoroughly and blowing compressed air into all the ports, it seems that the blockage is gone. HOWEVER....I turned out the star shaped 'valve' (see picture) until it was clear of it's seat....and I don't know the proper adjustment of it. IT looks like it meters the flow of fuel from the bowl into the venturi? But how many turns out should it be?
If you can help I would be incredibly grateful....and Thank you to all who respond!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0304.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	134261  
hpbcrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 05:28 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Looks like an older CCK Carburetor- I would start with 1 1/2 to 2 turns from fully closed and final adjust from there.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:10 AM   #3

That looks more like a float bowl drain as the adjustment p@part is usually vertical but this could be different, if a drain it will dump fuel and not effect running until it dumps fuel.

Assuming you confirmed it is an adjustment then generic process follows.

Those can be tricky but as above...

Most of all carb adjustments seem to always start at 1.5 turns...Universal starting place.

General instructions.

Disconnect throttle linkage to governor and unplug or turn off power output connection.

Locate idle adjustment screw and set to 2.5 turns.

Locate idle speed screw and turn until throttle "just opens".

Start engine and first adjust throttle speed to a low idle and allow it to warm up.

Next adjust idle mix for best running.

Reduce idle speed and repeat.

Once it is idling good manually increase throttle to mid speed and return to idle.

Basically goose it.

Adjust screw in photo a little but and repeat until it runs smooth from idle to more speed.

This will impact idle mix so repeat both.

When finished reconnect throttle linkage and restart.

Adjust the above for best operation and it should only be minor.

Reconnect power and turn on all ac and lights for a load test.

If the above is out of adjustment it will not have good power under load.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
That looks more like a float bowl drain as the adjustment p@part is usually vertical but this could be different, if a drain it will dump fuel and not effect running until it dumps fuel.

Assuming you confirmed it is an adjustment then generic process follows.

Those can be tricky but as above...

Most of all carb adjustments seem to always start at 1.5 turns...Universal starting place.

General instructions.

Disconnect throttle linkage to governor and unplug or turn off power output connection.

Locate idle adjustment screw and set to 2.5 turns.

Locate idle speed screw and turn until throttle "just opens".

Start engine and first adjust throttle speed to a low idle and allow it to warm up.

Next adjust idle mix for best running.

Reduce idle speed and repeat.

Once it is idling good manually increase throttle to mid speed and return to idle.

Basically goose it.

Adjust screw in photo a little but and repeat until it runs smooth from idle to more speed.

This will impact idle mix so repeat both.

When finished reconnect throttle linkage and restart.

Adjust the above for best operation and it should only be minor.

Reconnect power and turn on all ac and lights for a load test.

If the above is out of adjustment it will not have good power under load.
Thank you, I found a manual on the internet and it is the valve to control the flow of fuel from the float bowl into the rest of the carb....and it said to turn it out 1.5 turns to start. I did that, put the carb back on and the generator runs! It starts out very smooth, but as it warms up it starts to 'hunt', sputter and occasionally backfire.
I will try the tuning method you outlined and see if that helps.
Is the idle speed adjustment the screw that the governor linkage rests on?
thank you again! Will let you know how it turns out.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #5

The idle speed is the screw that the throttle rests on.

You need to disconnect the linkage to the governor so the engine will run without other control.

Been adjusting small engines for many years and it is easy but it does take a bit of time and a bit of repeat motion to get it good.

If there is a place to hook up a vacuum gage even better.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #6

In the future, if you're going to take a carburetor apart it's a good idea, before you unscrew the jets, to screw them all the ways in to their seats, counting the turns. Then mark that number on a piece of scratch paper so that you have it when you put the carburetor back together.

Steve

PS don't be embarrassed if you forget that first step, its an easy thing to do.
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:15 PM   #7

That "hunting" is often caused by a lean mixture. I would turn your adjusting screw 1/4 turn counter clockwise to see if that improves it.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
In the future, if you're going to take a carburetor apart it's a good idea, before you unscrew the jets, to screw them all the ways in to their seats, counting the turns. Then mark that number on a piece of scratch paper so that you have it when you put the carburetor back together.

Steve
Thank you, I watched a video before I took it apart and did remember to do that. It helps!
Old 08-07-2016, 04:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
That "hunting" is often caused by a lean mixture. I would turn your adjusting screw 1/4 turn counter clockwise to see if that improves it.
Thank you, I will try that. Have been out of town all week so got to start working on it again tomorrow!
Old 08-11-2016, 01:43 AM   #10

Only way to get it right is to pull the carb completely apart, clean, pressure test the needle and seat to make sure it seals and reassemble. Blow out all the orfices with compressed air.
ROLLNSMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:32 AM   #11

Also, if you're going to take apart and clean the carburetor get a can of carburetor spray cleaner equipped with one of those long red tubes. With that red tube you can get a power spray way down into passages where crud can collect. I wish they'd had those setups when I was a teenager working on old beater cars!

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #12

And once everything is running peachy prior to storing the RV pour into the fuel tank the proper amount of fuel stabilizer (STA-BIL) and top the fuel tank off. Once that is done run the engine and generator for 10-20 mins.

This will ensure the fuel does not turn to varnish and plug up carb orfices. It will also absorb water in the tank or bowls. Allowing for the generator to start after long storage.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #13

Has anyone thought about adding a switch to the electric fuel pump or a valve to the fuel line to allow for shutting fuel supply off ?

This would allow one to fun the genny dry to reduce chances of aged fuel in the carb.

May be benefit for extended storage.

Tags
generator, onan