Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Help on 1987 Ford Econoline Crossman?

Well, our daughter and son-in-law finally found a decent class C motorhome they could afford and pay cash for, but there are a few issues they need to fix. I told them this was the best place to come with questions!

Like many class C's, it appears that the front windows over the cab have leaked a bit and the inside wall board is rotting and pulling away. Without spending too much money, what's the best and easiest way to fix it up? I suggested to them that maybe they could recaulk around the outside of the windows (it appears it hasn't been done since the motorhome was new) and put up some type of laminated or plastic sheeting on the walls over the bed? We're open to suggestions!

I know we've painted the wall board on an old trailer with good results and are considering doing this again to cover the old flowered pattern. I think they plan on putting down a laminate wood-look floor after removing the old, brown carpet. Any hints or suggestions on this?

I'm going to recover the cushions for them - and actually replace the foam on a couple due to age - but is there any way, other than taking them to an upholsterer, to do something with the cute little rocking chairs? There are two. I don't think the fabric is too bad - but the kids just don't like it.

Thank you for your help. I'm sure you'll see more of me in the next few months - with more questions. I'll try to get a picture for you next time, but they just brought it here today for us to store in our barn.
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #2

If its possible remove the window and frame clean well before reassembly with fresh caulking
as for the inside walls I covered over mine with new laminate and new plastic trim using liquid-nails
looks nice and was fairly easy job with the " Dremel Multi-Max Oscillating Tool " cutting windows and tight spots
ischua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #3

The biggest problem I faced painting the walls was 20 years of cigarette smoke and over the years numerous assorted clips, holders and other things were attached to the walls using double sided foam tape. Busted clips or unneeded ones were everywhere. Removing double sided tape without removing the finish,paint or busting needed clips and holders is next to impossible. I found the easiest way to cut the foam tape is dental floss . A 2ft piece wrapped around your fingers and slid between plastic and wall . Using a slow sawing motion the floss will cut thru foam like butter making removal easy and reuse needed holders too
Old 03-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you for the helpful tips! We appreciate it. What type of caulk would you use around the exterior of the windows? What about any exterior seams? Where can we get a new cap for the top of the restroom vent? We climbed on the roof and noticed it was missing or broken off.

I'm sure you'll be seeing LOTS of questions from us! Thanks for all the advice - and keep it coming!
Old 03-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #5

Vent cap = catalog Item # 35183 at Camping World
windows = something like Proflex RV sealant also at Camping World
Seams = Eternabond tape at rvupgradestore.co
Old 03-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2RV View Post
I'm going to recover the cushions for them - and actually replace the foam on a couple due to age - but is there any way, other than taking them to an upholsterer, to do something with the cute little rocking chairs? There are two. I don't think the fabric is too bad - but the kids just don't like it.
Hi mate,

I just purchased my first RV this past weekend, a 1988 Ford Econoline Coachmen and on my to-do list I also have cleaning and taking care of cushions, foams, upholstery and all that..

Any tips or guides on how to approach this task? I was basically thinking of just unzipping the covers, washing them and putting the foam back inside... but someone told me the foam may be too old and stink. Any true in that? How hard (and $) would be to change the foam?

Any thoughts is really welcome!

Thanks

BB
Old 03-26-2010, 04:01 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Are the covers in good shape? do you like the color/style? Our daughter and son-in-law have enlisted my help in making new covers for the old cushions. The foam cushions are in good shape under the covers, so there's no need to replace them. Plus, it's very expensive - and they can't afford it. I've done this before on an old trailer that we purchased years ago - so I usually just save the ziper if it's in good shape and make new covers. If the upholstery is in good shape, I make just a fitted "slipcover" that can be removed for cleaning. Not only is it cheaper as it requires less fabric, but it's much easier! they did replace their mattress with a foam one purchased on Overstock.com. Have fun!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:01 AM   #8

I think they are in good shape, they just have a bad smell.. this weekend i'll remove them all and try washing them to see if helps with the smell.

I dont like them, they are pink! but I can't invest on this right now because of much bigger problems needing solution.

Thanks mate and good luck!

BB