Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #1

Help! What is this thing?

Is this a propane conversion for engine, or for water system in motorhome? It is in a 1983 Pace Arrow on P30 chassis (GMC). Century HP350 is stamped on part. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

jimbowalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbowalsh View Post
Is this a propane conversion for engine, or for water system in motorhome? It is in a 1983 Pace Arrow on P30 chassis (GMC). Century HP350 is stamped on part. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Your first guess is correct...it is part of a propane fuel system for the engine...that thing uses engine heat (from the radiator fluid) to heat the liquid propane - ensuring it is fully atomized for the engine intake.

It is used with propane only and/or dual fuel systems.

See the pictures here:
Propane Conversion Kits

I have a "Got Propane" kit in my Ford Van (351/5.8L V8), and with propane at about $2.00 a gallon, it is well worth it to have the system! For other readers....this is ONLY for carburated and SMOG Exempt vehicles - it is NOT SMOG certified in any state.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #3

Thank you so much! Can you tell me if this was by any chance an original setup or an add-on? Sorry, but I am an RV noob.
jimbowalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I really doubt that the propane kit was original factory equipment.

Dual Fuel was a VERY popular upgrade in the 80's...they were putting BIG tanks in the beds of pick-ups all the time.

Then with the advent of modern electronic fuel injection and computer controlled engines, the LPG kits became unusable. So now it's pretty rare (and cool).

If I could put a dual fuel kit on my motorhome, I would but the kit requires a carburetor and mine has EFI.

The kit consists of the atomizer that you have, a "hat" that fits over the carburetor and all the valves and hoses needed to bring the propane to that atomizer, and to the Hat. It's pretty simple.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-17-2012, 11:30 PM   #5

My 1984 Holiday Rambler came new with the dual fuel system. It is listed in the brochure as being standard equipment for the Imperial model. I don't know if it was installed by Chevrolet or HR, but it is detailed in the owner's manual. It was not an after purchase add-on. I have since removed the entire propane part of the system since Holiday Rambler sent a recall on it as being unsafe. I think they were just covereing their rear but I wasn't too sold on the safety of it since much of the system was getting quite a bit of age on it.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
My 1984 Holiday Rambler came new with the dual fuel system. It is listed in the brochure as being standard equipment for the Imperial model. I don't know if it was installed by Chevrolet or HR, but it is detailed in the owner's manual. It was not an after purchase add-on. I have since removed the entire propane part of the system since Holiday Rambler sent a recall on it as being unsafe. I think they were just covereing their rear but I wasn't too sold on the safety of it since much of the system was getting quite a bit of age on it.

That is very interesting. Since the engine of your HR would be using propane, did it come with a larger that usual LPG tank?

Do you remember the specifics about the recall (valve failure, hose failure, mixing hat problems, etc.)?

"Got Propane" has been in business for a while now, and the products were featured on a PowerBlock TV show.
http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/j...eason-3-ep-408
I have had no problems with my system, so hopefully the issue has been addressed.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #7

I have the recall in writing somewhere in my vehicle paperwork but this is a link to the recall that pretty much sums up what I got in writing. I never did get to use the dual fuel system and I kind of wish I still had it, but that is water under the bridge now.
1984 HOLIDAY RAMBLER ALUMA LITE Recall - Recall ID 1039

Oh, the LP tank is 65 gallon. I can go all year on one fill up.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #8

This is a scan of part of a brochure that was in my Holiday Rambler. I'm sorry it is sideways but that was the only way it would fit. If you look at line #121 you will see the Dual Fuel option was standard on Imperial and Presidential models. So was an outside BBQ grill but I never saw it. It was long gone.

After previewing the picture, I see the top of it didn't make it. The four columns are from left to right: Aluma-Lite, Ambassador, Presidential, and Imperial.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks QuietWater

It is also very cool that you got all that original info - assuming you are not the original owner.

The recall reads about leaking fuel (propane) caused by heat from the engine...pretty generic, and could be from any of the hoses or components.

It is also very intersting that the notice was made to the owner 8 years after mfgt...
That's what I call customer service!

Thanks again for the details
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #10

Could also be part of a propane injection kit of a hot rodder trying to increase HP

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote