Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Help with 1st TT

Hello all, i am new to the forums and new to travel trailers as well. i have been a welder and mechanic all my life and i am going to be going out on the road welding come spring time. my fiances step dad gave me his old vega camper for cleaning up around his house (which was a weeks worth of work) and it is in pretty good condition for its age. i have a bunch of questions but will stick mainly to the important ones for now, so here we go and please ignore any ignorance as i know nothing about tt's.

1. i know that one of the roof vents are leaking and he done a horrible job of wrapping in it duct tape () in a attempt to fix it on the road. i have decided to pull the inside roof panels down to see if any structure rot has happened. should i replace the vent and fix all the paneling or patch the vent and seal it???

2. where can i find the main breaker box for the electrical??? i found the fuse box access panel on the outside near the tongue of the trailer!

3. in attempt to get on the roof i noticed that the roof was awful wavy and decided not to get up on it. does the roof need to be replaced? and if so are there any tutorials or writeups on replacing one of these roofs

4. does anybody know part numbers to put newer brakes and hubs on the fayette-dayton axles?

5. andd last question (for now) can anyone give me any information on this camper? i cant find any model numbers or anything all i can find is vega and wheelcamper emblems on the outside. he told me it was a 25' but still dont know the model or anything! i have found that alot of the older terry and taurus campers look almost identical.

heres a few pictures of it. the black stuff is from the previous owners attempt to flex seal around the windows.

NcWelder88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2016, 01:01 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
It seems a lot of the earlier Tt's were simular in design so I'm sure I can find a owner's manual for one of them and be helpful. But can anyone help with my other questions?
Old 01-19-2016, 10:40 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to IRV2 NcWelder88,

I don't have specific info on your questions, but, regarding your breaker boxes; on the side that you plug in the trailer to shore power(120v), check in cabinets or compartments. On all three of the trailers I've had(5er, Hi-Lo, and Roadrunner), I found the breaker boxes on the floor under the sink area cabinets.

For the Owner's Manual question, check the 'Sticky' thread in this Vintage forum. Someone might have a manual there, or a lead on where to get one.

Since your a mechanic, you may just have to start exploring your trailer. Does your fiance's step-dad have any knowledge about the layout of the trailer?

Good luck with it,

Rich
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The title and registration will have the year on it.

Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant - Dove (Bright White) - Dicor 501LSD-1 - Roof Maintenance & Repair - Camping World

I use that kind of caulking around my roof vents and other items that protrude through the roof.

It looks like the propane tanks and battery are missing. Did you remove them?

You will need new tires along with a new fire extinguisher.

Looks like a fun project...keep us posted.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:50 AM   #5

I can't quite see on the pix but if those are the 4 lug "wide" bolt pattern wheels, look for parts for mobile home axles. Fayette-Dayton made RV and mobile home axles. Wheel bearings usually are stamped with a part number on the edge of the race. If you can still see the number, I'm sure you can cross reference them at an auto parts store for new ones. I'd check with mobile home supply places for brake parts. If you have to replace the entire axle, Dexter is the big manufacturer in the industry. Should be able to find good used Dexters out there for reasonable price. Depending on weight, you may only need brakes on the front .

Water leaks can cause wood sub structure to rot. I'd seal all leaks, inspect and blow dirt out of propane lines, install LPG/smoke/CO detectors, and do whatever else is needed to make it livable and safe.

There may be a VIN plate up on the tongue or front corner of the trailer. You may find the RV model number and axle info there. There may not have been an actual manual with the camper when new. It probably came the manuals for the appliances and possibly the axles. Appliances (furnace, stove, etc) are probably same used in many RV manufacurers of that era. Parts/replacements should be easy to find.
427ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:01 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
First off thanks everyone for there responses!!!

r____r - i have checked the stickie for manuals and have come up empty handed so far. i have found a owners manual for a terry camper and everything looks the same as mine. as far as my fiances stepdad im sure he does know about the camper layout and everything but he is such a a-hole to talk to most of the time id rather figure the camper out myself lol. thanks for the advice!

Arch Hoagland - im waiting for him to come home from out of town to get the title from him and i will have more information. he took the tanks off for his new camper so i have 2 of my own to use. as far as the battery as many times as i have seen this camper i have yet to see a battery on it. when you plug in the 120 v shore power all the lights work and when i pulled the covers off it says behind the light bulb for 120v or 12v use. never seen them like that but everything looks original. so i honestly didnt know this camper had 120vac AND 12vdc. the tires are new as i put them on for him last year and i will get a new fire extinguisher as soon as i start to work on it.

427ford - i have contacted dexter since i posted this and they have gave me part numbers for replacment loaded backing plates and hubs so i have that covered. i found them for $45 each online. the wheel bearings are new as he replaced them when i done the tires.
i have pulled a few roof panels and wall panels and the structure lookes dry and solid with no rot. he said he sealed the roof last winter but i cant confirm that. the interior is actually nice just needs some cleaning and updating which i will do as i go.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well the good thing about this project is you will know that RV inside and out. I never heard of anybody taking the tanks off one RV and putting them on another. Unique.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:20 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
yea im just going to tear into it a little at a time and get it right before i go out on the road.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:08 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well just a little update, I have answered most of my own questions just by exploring. Thanks for all the help from you guys. I did find a little rot at the front but easily fixable. Will update pics as I progress!
Old 02-11-2016, 11:20 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I never heard of anybody taking the tanks off one RV and putting them on another. Unique.
Really? The dealers do it all the time. Rig comes in with full or partly full tanks and they move them to another one when it sells so they can give the new owner full or partly full tanks. I've got a 10 gallon one in my storage shed that we bought in 2000 or so when we had a MH with a propane generator and the onboard tank was only 32 gallons of usable propane.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote