Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Help with airhorn

Does anyone here know anything about the airhorns in their MH? My 1989 Elandan has one but the PO disconnected it and I'm not sure how its supposed to hook back up. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #2

Air horns are really very basic devices. You apply air and they make a lot of noise. An Elandan from that vintage must have had an on-board air compressor. Find that and you'll find air hoses that attach to the air horn. Make sure it's all hooked up and working. If the PO disconnected it, it's probably because it didn't work in the first place.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I found the air compressor for it (I believe), its in the front of the MH right under the hood. I also found a yellow air line going from it to nothing. Not sure where it goes. It doesn't look long enough to go to the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Air horns are really very basic devices. You apply air and they make a lot of noise. An Elandan from that vintage must have had an on-board air compressor. Find that and you'll find air hoses that attach to the air horn. Make sure it's all hooked up and working. If the PO disconnected it, it's probably because it didn't work in the first place.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #4

That could be the problem if the air line is broken. The yellow line should run up to the air horns and be connected there. Or, it could go to a solenoid valve, which in turn runs a line to the air horns. Mine is a diesel so it gets its air from the air manifold under the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnbrwn View Post
I found the air compressor for it (I believe), its in the front of the MH right under the hood. I also found a yellow air line going from it to nothing. Not sure where it goes. It doesn't look long enough to go to the roof.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I was able to find one line coming from the roof (detached) and reattached it to the compressor. There are two lines coming off of it though. One is from the horns on the roof, the other is coming from the compressor off of the air guage and its also disconnected. Not to sure where it is supposed to go to.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:18 AM   #6

Sounds like the air tank is missing or disconnected. On my '89 Elandan, there is an airtank mounted on the center side of the grill support which is next to the chassis battery. The air tank has the solenoid for the air horns mounted on top of it. The system on the Elandan is similar to the Hadley Ambassador Air Horns. Take a look at the picture in the link - it shows all of the components.

My tank has a bunch of holes in the bottom. Since it can't be drained, it rusted from the inside. You can test the airhorns by hooking up low pressure compressed air to the system. I used about 40psi to test, and used a blow gun so that not all the air was forced through the system.

The yellow line goes compressor->tank mounted solenoid->airhorns.

There's also a relay from the horn and the "air horn" switch on the dash. it's located on the side support next to the battery on mine. Check to make sure you get 12v to both the relay feed (dash button) and the relay input (horn button). Together they drive the solenoid. The wiring diagram doesn't show this real well.

It's not complicated, just tight working space. I removed the front end on mine for other reasons which gave good access to the system.

Good luck - the sound is awesome!
Old 05-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #7

All types and prices for air horns on EBay - before I'd spend lots of $$$ trying to restore an old setup, I might try something like these I installed behind the grille on our '88 Winnie MH:

Wolo Model 420 Plastic Four Trumpet Musical Air Horn Kit Plays Wedding March | eBay

And I have one of these on my '83 Kawasaki KZ1100 LTD motorcycle - BOTH are VERY loud!

One "Bad Boy" Motorcycle Chrome Dual Tone Air Horn Wolo 519 | eBay
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
So I did some checking and found that the setup, I currently have is missing the compressor to fill the airtank. I'm going to do some calling around to see if I can find a cheap one from a salvage yard. Thank you everyone for you advice and assistance.