Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2018, 03:59 AM   #1

Red face Help with propane water heat

Good Morning from Michigan!
My husband and I purchased a piece of land in northern MI and have placed our 93 Innsbruck by Gulfstream on it. We are using battery power for lights and pump, but are wanting to use propane for fridge and water heat. We've never done this, and have no manuals for instruction. Does anyone own a similar model and could help guide us through it? The writing near the water heater is unreadable:-(

Share your thoughts and thanks so much!

Kris
KrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2018, 05:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
From a Michigander in Oklahoma.

All of your appliances (except maybe the stove) need your battery power to run the control/electronics. So the fridge and water heater will still use the batteries. How are you keeping the batteries charged?
Your best bet for learning about each item is getting the model number and downloading the manual. If you can't read the model number than maybe you can get a number off of the circuit board under the water heater door. Most of these systems are common from RV to RV.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #3

Here are photos of various water heaters -----which one is yours?

#1) Atwood Gas....Pilot

#2) Atwood Gas......Electronic Spark

#3) Suburban Gas---Pilot

#4) Suburban Gas..Electronic Spark

Atwood Water Heaters.......combustion chamber/lower right & exhaust/top left (diagonal 'U' tube)

Suburban Water Heaters....combustion chamber/lower right & exhaust/top right (stacked 'U' tube)

Pilot .........manual lighting
Electronic Spark.....Battery supplies required DC for circuit board

Fridges..
Too many different models so...........
Does it have 'Display' panel with lights/buttons (requires DC power)
Does it have manual controls/knobs ----old cabinet style fridge...manual light
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:21 PM   #4

Okay, the bottom picture looks like ours, we think!!
Old 09-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisD View Post
Okay, the bottom picture looks like ours, we think!!

Well it is or it isn't----

#4 is a Suburban water heater with electronic ignition ,,,,,,,,,means you fill water heater tank with water, valve in your propane supply (at tank/cylinders) and then turn the Water Heater Switch for GAS ON.
IF you have good 12V DC via battery or shore power then the Spark Electrode (big orange wire at burner) will SPARK while gas valve solenoids are energized opening gas valve...when propane is present the SPARK will ignite main flame and heat the water.

IF the water heater is a COMBO (electric heat & propane) there will be an ON/OFF Switch in lower left corner in that outside compartment. It is for turning the Electric Heat Element ON/OFF.
MUST have water in WH Tank before turning on or element will burn out within a few minutes or less.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #6

Well I wish I could say for sure, but our camper is not with us! It is on our property 3.5 hours away. We will check for sure when we go visit on the weekend. Thanks for the information!
Old 09-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #7

Also, there is an on and off switch in the camper above the kitchen sink that says HW. We assume that is the switch for the hot water heater. Does this make sense for that type of HW heater?
Old 09-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Also, there is an on and off switch in the camper above the kitchen sink that says HW. We assume that is the switch for the hot water heater. Does this make sense for that type of HW heater?

YES......
That will be for the Propane

Need water, propane and 12V DC power

Because propane system has not been used in awhile it WILL take several attempts to get main flame to light.
Valve in the propane cylinders (open the valve slowly) then light off stove top burners on high to establish flow/demand on propane regulator.
Water heater tank full of water (cold inlet valve open/bypass valve if equipped closed/hot out valve open---water pump on) then turn that HW switch ON.
Should hear/see strong spark inside combustion chamber where that large orange wire goes...spark electrode.
Main flame not light off first few times....if RED light by HW switch stays ON then turn switch off and back on to reset and try again until main flame lights
After main flame lights off should have HOT water in roughly 30 minutes or so depending on initial water temp

Hot water GOOD
Old 09-11-2018, 03:37 AM   #9

Thank you so much! All of this information will be transferred to my husband, as it has gone RIGHT OVER MY HEAD!! LOL

We will give it a whirl, and hopefully have hot water next time we go up!

Your a Master! Thanks again!!
Kris
Old 09-11-2018, 05:21 AM   #10

On my Suburban WH I have a couple switches inside - one for firing it by propane and another for firing it by electric. In the picture below, center bottom is our tank levels display. To the immediate right is a black switch plate with red light (even has the S for Suburban) - that is how I fire it up via propane. To the right of that switch you see a white switch plate with a red light - that is how I fire it up via electric. I remember somewhere reading that to get electric heater you have to have both switches on (the one out on the heater itself + the white one in pic below). The one out on the heater is a safeguard to make sure you don't heat by electric when the tank is empty (as OB mentioned earlier). I leave that switch off unless I know for sure I'll be heating with electric.

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
On my Suburban WH I have a couple switches inside - one for firing it by propane and another for firing it by electric. In the picture below, center bottom is our tank levels display. To the immediate right is a black switch plate with red light (even has the S for Suburban) - that is how I fire it up via propane. To the right of that switch you see a white switch plate with a red light - that is how I fire it up via electric. I remember somewhere reading that to get electric heater you have to have both switches on (the one out on the heater itself + the white one in pic below). The one out on the heater is a safeguard to make sure you don't heat by electric when the tank is empty (as OB mentioned earlier). I leave that switch off unless I know for sure I'll be heating with electric.

IF RV MFG 'added' a 2nd switch for electric -------Suburban OEM is just the one in outside compartment.
One inside RV ---that is a RV MFG addition and YES both switches have to be on for electric

IF....water heater is combo electric/propane AND IF RV MFG added that extra switch.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:22 AM   #12

Okay, we are back at the camper! Propane tanks are turned on, bit we cannot even get the stove to light....any ideas??? This camper has been sitting for many years......help!! Lol. We are in need of the furnace! Got down to 40 here last night;-)
Old 09-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Okay, we are back at the camper! Propane tanks are turned on, bit we cannot even get the stove to light....any ideas??? This camper has been sitting for many years......help!! Lol. We are in need of the furnace! Got down to 40 here last night;-)
Make sure the valve at the tank is open. Make sure the gas detector is turned on. Of course make sure you have gas. If the gas has not been used in a while, you will need to turn on an eye on the stove for a minute or so to get fresh gas in the line.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:43 AM   #14

If you have propane in the tanks ; turning the valves on too quickly ( with air in the lines and not gas ) may have triggered the tanks ; broken line safety valve.

To re-set the safety valve , close the valve on the tanks and open them very slowly, the valve is held open by back pressure in the system , then try and light the stove top .
With sitting for this extended period , failure of the system's pressure regulator is also a possibility.

Tags
heat, propane, water