Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #1

help with tire pressures

Hi,

Our bounder originally had a sticker on the inside wall behind the drivers seat with information regarding tire pressures.

When we purchased it that wasn't there,is there anyway to work the pressures out? Or has someone got a similar bounder with information on pressures?

1987 bounder on RV 1000 john Deere chassis,with 9800 ish lbs rear Dana axle and 5600 ish lb Rockwell front axle. With a GVWR of around 15500,with 8R19.5 tires.

Paul.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #2

Go weigh the RV. Get weights of the front,rear and side to side including each wheel. Then go to the tire manufacturers web site and look for the tire loading/pressure chart. Better yet, simply inflate each tire to the max pressure as molded on the sidewall.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauland Ro View Post
Hi,

Our bounder originally had a sticker on the inside wall behind the drivers seat with information regarding tire pressures.

When we purchased it that wasn't there,is there anyway to work the pressures out? Or has someone got a similar bounder with information on pressures?

1987 bounder on RV 1000 john Deere chassis,with 9800 ish lbs rear Dana axle and 5600 ish lb Rockwell front axle. With a GVWR of around 15500,with 8R19.5 tires.

Paul.
I would encourage you to weigh the coach as well. Knowing how difficult it can be to find a facility to weigh each corner, I would say you're fine weighing each axle. I think you can get close enough from there. Half that number to get the weight per tire for the front axle, and quarter it for the rear. Use those numbers with the weight charts to get an inflation. A lot of people will add 5 or 10 psi to the chart pressures for varying reasons.

Running max inflation as indicated on the sidewall is not a very good plan. I'll handling (excessive wandering) and buckboard ride can be expected.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
The only way to determine what YOUR coach needs is to weigh all wheels separately. Then consult the tire manufacturer for the correct poundage for each AXLE.

My coach sticker said #130 for all tires. After weighing, I use # 105 in front and # 85 in the dual & tag axles. That is quite a different ride.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ditto ditto; our coach weighs more or less what yours does with the same size tires. Max load on the tires is much higher than our GVWR, so unless we were very much overloaded, we would not run at max pressure. I think we're running 85# front and back right now.

Weigh the 4 corners (or at least each axle) and go to a load table for your tires, or use this.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That sticker has the WRONG PRESSURE on it,, Just so you know (Well, over 90% of the time at least)

That's usually the pressure that is proper at the time of delivery.. Think about the coach then and now.. Has it gained weight? (Water, Fuel, Food, Clothing, Tools, A Grill, Propane, Other supplies? Mine has. RV Safety, Merritt Island, Florida and check out the links on the left side for one with Weight in it.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #7

defiantly do not just run tires at max pressure did this first time out rode bad handled worse, checked weights lowered rears by 20 psi, fronts by 5 psi much smoother ride and handles immensely better also found needed to set air ride where each side set level not both at same pressures ,now when an eighteen wheeler passes me it isn't nearly as exciting rookie mistake that nearly raised my laundry bill.
good luck and happy traveling
Old 07-31-2011, 12:26 AM   #8

Thanks for all the replies,as soon as we get it cranking & running good will see about weighing the rig and going from there. Will need some new tires before we get going on the road & this info will definitely help