Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Moocho Dinaro is close enough!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Good luck on your effort - hope it goes well for you.

I'm constantly amazed at the number of MH owners who will spend nearly as much for a MH as for a house - and then completely abandon even the slightest attempt towards maintenance or upkeep - and end up with something like you have...

Truly sad!
The value of an RV goes downhill and the home holds steady or
appreciates, so money is put into the home. After the shine is gone the MH is just not looked at the same way. Fulltimers care for theirs a lot more over the years. Then you have to look at the economy, during the hard times toys (RV's, boats, motorcycles) sit and go to waste or get sold off.
J

Old 08-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
The value of an RV goes downhill and the home holds steady or
appreciates, so money is put into the home. After the shine is gone the MH is just not looked at the same way. Fulltimers care for theirs a lot more over the years. Then you have to look at the economy, during the hard times toys (RV's, boats, motorcycles) sit and go to waste or get sold off.
J
I think it's also largely a "generation" thing...

When I was young - I'm 73 now - our family was quite poor, and luxuries pretty much non-existent - we bought carefully after MUCH comparison and selective shopping - and THEN, what we bought was valued and cared for, because it had to last a LOOooooong time!

While my own fortunes are far greater than those of my parents in those years, that thoughtful care for what we buy has stuck with us - my wife's family background was quite similar to my own. We're not particularly penny-pinchers or tightwads - but we VALUE and CARE FOR what we DO select to buy.

Today's later generations have generally had life and finances condiderably easier, and seem to see everything as "throwaways" - easily bought - lightly valued, and CERTAINLY, not to be cared for! Often that is evident in personal relationships, as well as purchase choices...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #18

OK. here's the latest update. Unfortunately I am only able to spend a limited time on the demo of the MH (due to school). I will be able to be more involved here in the next month as I'll have 3-4 weeks off till my next quarter starts! I have been finding pockets of big fat black ants in the moist, blackened wood. They have been burrowing tunnels in the foam insulation as well. It's really kind of interesting. It would be a lot cooler if it was somebody else's motor home though, lol.
Thankfully I have been able to do a little bit more demo work. There is a lot of the galvanic corrosion all over the siding.
I believe our plan is to get all the guts out of the inside and make it workable to do stuff in there during the winter time. In the spring we will reside it and re-roof it. That will give me time to think about exactly which method I will use to add the new roof, etc...
I have taken a few pictures to show so more of the and a video of me sucking up the ants. I had a great video showing one of the panels being ripped back and the huge amount of ants scurrying. I forgot to hit save though... oops. I'm sure they're still in there though so I'll get a good video later with all of them crawling in the wall. yippeee!!!
I'm going to post the video I do have on youtube and get the link on here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6204.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	5108   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6205.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	5109  

Name:	DSCF6207.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	5110   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6209.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	5111  

Name:	DSCF6210.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	5112  
Old 08-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #19

Here is the youtube link. I'll get a better one with more ants posted later. Those ants hate being sucked up by the vacuum, lol.

YouTube - ants in the wood.mp4
Old 08-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ31073 View Post
[/COLOR]

What is Spanish for money pit? lol
dinero en boxes
Old 09-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #21

Here is a funny picture that my wife took the other day of a mushroom growing from the roof in our motorhome. It looks like there might still be some moisture caught up in there!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mushroom.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	5358  
Old 09-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
My Yukon Delta houseboat had a nasty roof. I fastened aluminum extension ladder sections across the side rails and then skinned over that. Made for a very strong roof and wall assembly.
I got the ladder sections for free by watching Craigslist.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #23

thats sounds like a really cool idea peter. I might have to think about trying that!!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #24

Hey Peter... I was just thinking. My MH's main structure is made of steel. Did you have that issue with your set-up. I am worried about the galvanic action of the two metals (aluminum, steel). Does anyone have any ideas that might work to join the aluminum sections to the steel structure?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ31073 View Post
Hey Peter... I was just thinking. My MH's main structure is made of steel. Did you have that issue with your set-up. I am worried about the galvanic action of the two metals (aluminum, steel). Does anyone have any ideas that might work to join the aluminum sections to the steel structure?
The Houseboat was aluminum skin over 2 x 2's so it wasn't an issue.
You could "insulate" the joints with Never Sieze compound or perhaps a thin strip of high density foam. I'd use stainless steel screws to attach the ladders to the frame.

It really worked out well...the ladders are light and have excellent strength. I could put several people up on the roof when it was finished.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
I think it's also largely a "generation" thing...

When I was young - I'm 73 now - our family was quite poor, and luxuries pretty much non-existent - we bought carefully after MUCH comparison and selective shopping - and THEN, what we bought was valued and cared for, because it had to last a LOOooooong time!

While my own fortunes are far greater than those of my parents in those years, that thoughtful care for what we buy has stuck with us - my wife's family background was quite similar to my own. We're not particularly penny-pinchers or tightwads - but we VALUE and CARE FOR what we DO select to buy.

Today's later generations have generally had life and finances condiderably easier, and seem to see everything as "throwaways" - easily bought - lightly valued, and CERTAINLY, not to be cared for! Often that is evident in personal relationships, as well as purchase choices...

Amen
Old 09-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's a good site.

EPDM RV Roof Replacement Project
Old 09-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #28

That is a good site. I have printed it and looked it over a few times.