Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #1

high mileage 6.2 diesel?

I keep going back and forth on what to buy. 110k miles on an '83 27ft Pace Arrow 6.2 diesel......you guys think it's about dead? I've heard of that little diesel lasting awhile in pickups (like a diesel should), but I'm sure it's been running wide open for all 110,000 miles in this rig. Granted it probably doesn't make enough power to hurt itself, but I also wonder about the trans behind it Surely it's a TH400, right?

The price is right, and I figured on a set of plugs and an injection pump rebuild anyway. I've heard good and bad stories, like everything else, on this setup. Any similar experiences? Had a 6.2 grenade on you before?
gutwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
6.2L arn't what I would call a power house. But all diesels are technicly run at wide open at all time. THat is just way they are made. And that is why they are made so sturdy.They will last quite a while. It all depends on the driver and how it was maintaned. I Perfer the older diesels over the ones built now due to the computer and emisson controls.
Come right out as ask the current owner how long he has owned it and it his trips were long trips or several hundreds of short weekend trips.
Cold starts are where most werar occurs (gas or diesel) So hope it is long trips.
Most importantly Does the engine smoke? and does it start good when cold?
Good starting when cold (withOUT starting fluid)means usually the compression is good and wear is low.
Generally a 6.2L Chev/7.3LFord will out last a 454chev/460ford 2 to 1 on miles.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #3

I wouldn't spend too much on a set of plugs.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #4

I have a 83 class c with a 6.2. The RV has 85k on it after doing some research I believe the engine had been replace at some point. I have a GM good wrench replacement.
CC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
greggholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggholmes View Post
Would have been funnier if I had said cap and rotor ( I think that's the joke). But anyway, found a set of glow plugs for under $50, for those curious.

The rig is 3.5 hours away, and the guy has only had it a year and has made one trip with it. So, history unknown. I wonder if it's worth spending time looking at, looks like a crapshoot to me. I need a long distance machine, not making short trips here.

if anyone has had experience with the 6.2 (good or bad), love to hear it.
gutwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
I only know about there use in Commercial Use. Had two. One in a one ton with a 4 speed, the other was a automatic. The one with the automatic blew its engine at 114000 miles. That does not include the pto for air compressor and boom. I would think with those on at say half the time would mean it wasa really at say?? 200000+... The one with the 4 speed lasted about 80000 and died very unhappy!!! It started a fire that cooked any chance of recovery. The engine caused it when it blew. Again there were compressor and boom on pto. I would think the main difference was the 4 speed was a bad option for it. the gear ratio was way to steep. It made that engine work so much harder. I wonder just how that truck even lasted that long. It was a dog with that rear end ratio. The gear and the stick was not the best combo for that motor. The motorhome has a th475. It is much harder to blow one of them up. They are pretty much bulletproof. I liked the 6.2. only one other thing they should have done was add a turbo to it. I think there are add on kits for the 6.2. I used to get 15 mpg all day long. didn't matter if in city or out on the mountains or flat open ground, it still got 15 mpg!! That was on top of the pto's on. I could go all day and maybe half or more of the two tanks of fuel. That was 40 gallons. I wouldn't let that 6.2 scare you at all. Good luck with whatever decision you make, Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
smart ass
Lokahi117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #9

Hi gutwrencher,

Since you asked, we bought our 3rd Motorhome, a 1995 Safari Trek, and ordered the 6.5 GM turbodiesel, thinking this would be a long lasting engine. This, and I suppose the 6.2, have Stanadyne injection pumps. GM had so much trouble with these, they extended the warranty to 110,000 miles. Our first pump was replaced under this warranty, but I paid big $ for a second pump after the date timed out. I don't think the injection pump can be rebuilt. The PMD (injection driver) also fails, and most owners have to pay to install their replacement in a cooler remote location than original.

After the first pump replacement, we continued to have a clicking noise, but our dealer didn't worry about this. It was actually a "pocketed" intake valve that would sometimes stick closed, then the next weakest part would break. We replaced a broken rocker arm, then the next year, a broken pushrod. When a pushrod broke the second time, we were at a capable shop that removed the cylinder head and discovered the valve issue. it was worn so deep into the head that a new seat could not be installed, so we paid for a new cylinder head.

We eventually drove this Trek for 137,000 miles, but any diesel mileage savings were eaten by the repair costs. We tow a small race car, and overall weight was under 20,000 lb which is not excessive.The 6.5 has a history of running hot in RV use and I always had to drive the thing on the engine temperature gauge to keep the diesel from overheating. However, we have had THN400 transmissions in 4 different RV's, with never had a bit of trouble in 400,000 miles (I always added a second transmission cooler).

I bought the 6.5 turbodiesel because it was a power upgrade over the non-turbo 6.2. I don't think the 6.2 was used in RV's very long, and recommend you think twice about your purchase. If you just gotta have it, search for the diesel parts websites, like Heath Diesel, or The Diesel Pages, and you will find lots of information.

Our 1999 Trek is a GM gas 454, and I am very happy with this engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutwrencher View Post
I keep going back and forth on what to buy. 110k miles on an '83 27ft Pace Arrow 6.2 diesel......you guys think it's about dead? I've heard of that little diesel lasting awhile in pickups (like a diesel should), but I'm sure it's been running wide open for all 110,000 miles in this rig. Granted it probably doesn't make enough power to hurt itself, but I also wonder about the trans behind it Surely it's a TH400, right?

The price is right, and I figured on a set of plugs and an injection pump rebuild anyway. I've heard good and bad stories, like everything else, on this setup. Any similar experiences? Had a 6.2 grenade on you before?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The owner took it on one trip? Sounds like he didn't like it. I'd walk.

Mike
Old 03-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #11

The 7.3 Ford diesel was mfg. by International as a real diesel. While GM called the 6.2 and 6.5 Detroit Diesels, I kinda think they were converted from gas 454's.

I don't know about the Ford 460 gas. The GM 454 gas in our 1983 Winnebago Chieftain was going strong at 115,000 miles, but we were mesmerized by a 1995 Safari Trek. You know, wife: "Gotta have it". Me "Can't afford it". Wife "Get your sharp pencil out". And the rest is history...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
...Generally a 6.2L Chev/7.3LFord will out last a 454chev/460ford 2 to 1 on miles.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
I would think that they were real baby Diesels. They come in the range of the old 396 comes close to the 6.5 turbo, but the 6.2 is a 379, but i still think these are real baby diesels.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #13

Remember the Olds diesels from the late '70's.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I had a Ford F with the International Harvester 7LTR?? Diesel. Best truck motor I ever had and it pulled hard on the same fuel consumption as it ran with no load. I only did one long RV trip with it and on some of the way along I-5 and across on 10 I actually passed slower vehicles. I found out after I dropped the trailer in its final location that there were 55 limits on towing most of the route I drove.

I would never buy the newer GMC Diesels with an Izuzu (sp) motor. I know three people in the same town north of us on the Island who all have had their motors crap out and all for the same reason; head gasket failure.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel