Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2006, 07:51 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi,Were new to the site and just thought I'd say hello.We fell in love with this old motor- home.We bought in 1997 and we use the rvtravelers1997 in our e-mail address.Over the years we've done a bounch of work on her,but It didn't seem to help it's looks any better. We call it "Dusty" and shes a 79 Coachman President25. it's 26' Long and Its been our home and friend for a long time now.Other than service we didn't do much to it for around 4 years and then we decided to start working on it and that really started the problem.See, we had a boat and a boat is nothing but a hole in the water to throw money into! Now we have this bigger hole into which we throw Much MORE Money into.I think that is there purpose.Ok, here is the list of goodies we've put into that hole.We started with new cabinet doors and removeing the overhead bed above the cab.We put a cabinet where the bed used to be.Deb and I painted the doors all white and used templates to make the designs on them. When we started this we had planned to paint the jams a yellow/beige color.We since have changed our minds and now we are going to paint the jams with a periwinkle blue. After that we did a little more traveling and then we did over the genset,an older BGA 4KW Onan.I pulled the heads and rebuilt the carberator and cleaned the heads and pistons. I found that I did have a bad head gasket.I shaved the heads and put new head gaskets. Adjusted the valves and new valve gaskets. It had 340 hrs on it when we got it as of this writing it has over 1360 hrs. We did this at 1100 hrs.After that I recharged the a/c on the engine and back on the road,once again.Then in 2003 we came home from a trip and on the way back from the VA we were hit hard in the car.This guy hit us from behind and shoved us into a couple of other cars,one that was a unmarked police car.when the she bear got out was she MAD!! We were trying to not laugh so hard when the guy jumpped out and the first words out of his mouth were "not my fault!"
When he said he was only doing 15 mph the cop all but lost it right there!!Didn't know that cops could get that mad!!Anyway,we didn't go anywhere for the last three years now.We did take a fast trip for a funerial back east.Deb's dad. He will be missed. When I got back it was time to start working on the motor-home,again!
We started to go down to a rv repair shop in Tucson to get some things and the transmission started leaking so we got a bunch of fluid and babied it home.Yep, no fun at all. I went down to the rv shop and ordered the parts and gave the man a bunch of money,and we came home empty-handed.We ordered a new front door and screen, a new tub and shower enclosure,new toilet,water pump and new fresh water tank.while I was there I also got a new direct spark and electric water heater.OH,while I was there I saw a pair of seats for our home and that set us back a few more bucks.Then on my birthday my crazy wife said" you can get your home entertainment center you want",Yeah Man!!Now thats what I'm Talking About!!!To the tune of over $5000.I think that If I buy it she gonna kill me,I buy it ,SHE don't kill me?.Man,am I lucky!or What?
Anyway I got her a new pillow bed mattress and a new computer for christmas and she got me a bunch of dvd's.
Meanwhile,back at that ranch,I was about to pull the travsmission pan off and see what kind of damage WE we're talking about. As soon as the pan droped I got that funny kind of smell,ya know what I mean?!AHH,the fluid is suppose to be ah,red?Not Black?!
Yep, Its toast! So while I'm there I figure I go and change the oil and I pull the plug and what the he11!! Anti-freeze where there is suppose to be Oil! This can't be good!
Sooo, back to the ole drawing board!!
As of this writing there is a new motor and transmission in the motor-home.
Hope ya get a laugh out of the post as If I didn't laugh,I'd cry as the money went out of my hands!
If ya would like ta know what I have in the motor and trans,I'll write another post! Have a good one,I know I will this fall!! Woo Hoo!! Dan and Deb
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2006, 07:51 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi,Were new to the site and just thought I'd say hello.We fell in love with this old motor- home.We bought in 1997 and we use the rvtravelers1997 in our e-mail address.Over the years we've done a bounch of work on her,but It didn't seem to help it's looks any better. We call it "Dusty" and shes a 79 Coachman President25. it's 26' Long and Its been our home and friend for a long time now.Other than service we didn't do much to it for around 4 years and then we decided to start working on it and that really started the problem.See, we had a boat and a boat is nothing but a hole in the water to throw money into! Now we have this bigger hole into which we throw Much MORE Money into.I think that is there purpose.Ok, here is the list of goodies we've put into that hole.We started with new cabinet doors and removeing the overhead bed above the cab.We put a cabinet where the bed used to be.Deb and I painted the doors all white and used templates to make the designs on them. When we started this we had planned to paint the jams a yellow/beige color.We since have changed our minds and now we are going to paint the jams with a periwinkle blue. After that we did a little more traveling and then we did over the genset,an older BGA 4KW Onan.I pulled the heads and rebuilt the carberator and cleaned the heads and pistons. I found that I did have a bad head gasket.I shaved the heads and put new head gaskets. Adjusted the valves and new valve gaskets. It had 340 hrs on it when we got it as of this writing it has over 1360 hrs. We did this at 1100 hrs.After that I recharged the a/c on the engine and back on the road,once again.Then in 2003 we came home from a trip and on the way back from the VA we were hit hard in the car.This guy hit us from behind and shoved us into a couple of other cars,one that was a unmarked police car.when the she bear got out was she MAD!! We were trying to not laugh so hard when the guy jumpped out and the first words out of his mouth were "not my fault!"
When he said he was only doing 15 mph the cop all but lost it right there!!Didn't know that cops could get that mad!!Anyway,we didn't go anywhere for the last three years now.We did take a fast trip for a funerial back east.Deb's dad. He will be missed. When I got back it was time to start working on the motor-home,again!
We started to go down to a rv repair shop in Tucson to get some things and the transmission started leaking so we got a bunch of fluid and babied it home.Yep, no fun at all. I went down to the rv shop and ordered the parts and gave the man a bunch of money,and we came home empty-handed.We ordered a new front door and screen, a new tub and shower enclosure,new toilet,water pump and new fresh water tank.while I was there I also got a new direct spark and electric water heater.OH,while I was there I saw a pair of seats for our home and that set us back a few more bucks.Then on my birthday my crazy wife said" you can get your home entertainment center you want",Yeah Man!!Now thats what I'm Talking About!!!To the tune of over $5000.I think that If I buy it she gonna kill me,I buy it ,SHE don't kill me?.Man,am I lucky!or What?
Anyway I got her a new pillow bed mattress and a new computer for christmas and she got me a bunch of dvd's.
Meanwhile,back at that ranch,I was about to pull the travsmission pan off and see what kind of damage WE we're talking about. As soon as the pan droped I got that funny kind of smell,ya know what I mean?!AHH,the fluid is suppose to be ah,red?Not Black?!
Yep, Its toast! So while I'm there I figure I go and change the oil and I pull the plug and what the he11!! Anti-freeze where there is suppose to be Oil! This can't be good!
Sooo, back to the ole drawing board!!
As of this writing there is a new motor and transmission in the motor-home.
Hope ya get a laugh out of the post as If I didn't laugh,I'd cry as the money went out of my hands!
If ya would like ta know what I have in the motor and trans,I'll write another post! Have a good one,I know I will this fall!! Woo Hoo!! Dan and Deb
Old 06-20-2006, 06:44 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Capt. Dan some of us do this all in reverse, we shell out the money up front for a new motor home than fix as we go into the future not knowing whats going to happen next.
At least you know what to expect and you can put in your good money for the improvements and you can do it yourself knowing you have done it right.
When we have someone else do it that may not be the case and we return again and again.
So with all your hard work congrats on your new built coach enjoy it because it must love you for your dedication to her.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:41 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi 007,We didn't plan it that way, but that seems to be the way it worked out. This time lifes a journey, enjoy the ride!