Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
TRD

Holding Tank question

The readout (lights) indicates my black water holding tank is 1/2 full, when I know it is empty. I assume the sensor(s) are giving me a false reading.

Is there a way to check or clean the sensors ? If removing and manually cleaning them is my only option, I have a problem. I am not sure I can talk the DW into doing it

Terry
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #2

Google the geo method this helps clean sensors and leaves a slick surface there mat be store bought also
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, you can clean them and no, it will not last very long.

Don't get too worried about it. Tank sensors are notoriously unreliable, and the "burp" when the black tank is nearly full will always tell you when to dump.

So, your 3 choices are, ignore the whole issue.

OR

Get one of the cleaning wands to put on the end of a hose (check Camping World) if you must try cleaning the sensors

OR

install some SeeLevel gauges- expensive but they work perfectly.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found a product made by "Unique Natural Products". RV DIGEST-IT holding tank treatment. There web site is uniquemm.com. I've been using it and it really cleaned the sensors and we don't have an odor one coming from the black tank. You can have the fan running and flush and no odor at all. In my opinion great stuff.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #5

I have a wand type sprayer I use to clean out my black tank. It isn't one specific for the task but works well. When I wand out the tank, I have my wife hold the button for the black tank reading. When the fan spray from the wand hits the sensors, the 4 LEDs (E, 1/3, 2/3, F) freak out. My wife lets me know when that happens and I spend extra time spraying in that area.

When I shut off the sprayer, the only light that should be on is the E empty indicator. On occasion there will be several lights on. I just hit the sensors with the fan spray a few more minutes. This system has worked great for me.

I forgot at add that my tank is a direct drop. If your tank isn't, this won't be as easy.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
You are getting material hanging on the sensors inside the tank. When they stay damp, you get false readings. You can 'wand' your tank EVERY time to get correct readings, but it won't last very long, OR.... If the wiring is easy to get to, and it should be, just buy some outside sensors, cut the original wires and hook to the new sensors, leaving the old sensors in place. The new sensors have peel and stick backing so attaching them to the outside of your tank is easy. The sensors I have are attached to the outside with aluminized tape. Hope this helps
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
You are getting material hanging on the sensors inside the tank. When they stay damp, you get false readings. You can 'wand' your tank EVERY time to get correct readings, but it won't last very long, OR.... If the wiring is easy to get to, and it should be, just buy some outside sensors, cut the original wires and hook to the new sensors, leaving the old sensors in place. The new sensors have peel and stick backing so attaching them to the outside of your tank is easy. The sensors I have are attached to the outside with aluminized tape. Hope this helps
I agree bluesman. I wand my tank every other dump. I don't get many falses but I also will say that tank size can play into it also. I have 28 gal each, gray and black. I forces me to dump more often so the black tank gets cleaned more often too. Really it comes down to what floats into the sensors. Not much you can do when the sensors are inside the tank.

When the time comes, I will put in slightly larger tanks with external sensors.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
I wand my tank a couple times a year and always on the last trip out. I always have false readings. I always dump at the end of each stay in a rv park. Then I know if a do a black top between camp sites, I will be ok for a day or so.
Paul Nauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Guys, this is a REAL easy fix. Just abandon the old 'in tank' sensors (they're embedded through the tank wall and can just stay there, just clip the wires), hook the existing wires to some new outside sensors. Trust me, it will work. 15 minutes with some tape and a wire crimper. Then you won't have to dump so often... and no worries
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank