Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2005, 01:08 PM   #1

We recently bought what I would call a vintage RV. It is an 86 Holiday Rambler Presidential. It is in outstanding condition and had been stored in a large garage during non-use period.

While it is an 86, I am hoping that it can be included in this forum..vintage. I did a search and could not find a similar unit; also on a trip back to FL from OR we did not see a single unit like this one.

I have a lot of questions dealing with the systems and possible upgrades (such as putting either a new crate 454 in the rig or even a 8.1 vortec/allison ....and am hoping to get some good support through this group.

The other unit in the picture is our F350/Bigfoot 3000 truck camper; we will be putting up the camper for sale on this irv2.com site soon. While we really like the Bigfoot, on a recent trip to OR we concluded that we have "grown out" of the Bigfoot. We bought the HR from a friend in OR.

Iver ("Hemi")

Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2005, 01:08 PM   #2

We recently bought what I would call a vintage RV. It is an 86 Holiday Rambler Presidential. It is in outstanding condition and had been stored in a large garage during non-use period.

While it is an 86, I am hoping that it can be included in this forum..vintage. I did a search and could not find a similar unit; also on a trip back to FL from OR we did not see a single unit like this one.

I have a lot of questions dealing with the systems and possible upgrades (such as putting either a new crate 454 in the rig or even a 8.1 vortec/allison ....and am hoping to get some good support through this group.

The other unit in the picture is our F350/Bigfoot 3000 truck camper; we will be putting up the camper for sale on this irv2.com site soon. While we really like the Bigfoot, on a recent trip to OR we concluded that we have "grown out" of the Bigfoot. We bought the HR from a friend in OR.

Iver ("Hemi")

Old 06-21-2005, 04:12 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Welcome to the Vintage RV thread Hemi. Those HR's are nice coaches, I'm sure you will enjoy it. I don't know much about engines, but am sure if you ask someone will answer. Where did you visit in the great state of Oregon?
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 06:52 AM   #4

Hoverbug,
Yes, it is in exceptional shape; bought in Albany OR from a friend.

I grew up in Albany-Tangent area (central Willamette...then left in 66 after univ. We are usually back to OR every 1-2 years. On this recent trip we spent a lot of time in the Redmond and Hood River areas; we were also in the Albany-Tangent area where I grew up.

We also spent a week on Orcas Island (San Juans), WA, in some pretty remote areas.

Back in FL now but wishing we were back in OR. IVER "Hemi"

oh, just read your profile, you are form Klamath Falls; we passed through in April in the Bigfoot on our trip to Eagle Crest in Redmond. We need to get back to KF to see it more thoroughly.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:16 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Florida eh! We relocated here from Crystal River. I say we escaped but Hovergirl does'nt like me to say that It's a long story but we chose KFalls and I must say we enjoy it very much. It ain't perfect of course but it is a very friendly community. My son labeled it a back to the fifties lifestyle. Happy Trails!!
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:12 AM   #6

I would agree with your son..."back to the fifties lifestyle"; there are several places in OR that fit that title.
One place we missed on this last trip was a visit to Frenchglen.....about 75 miles south of Burns....near the Steens Mountains....we hope to get there next year. IWD
Old 05-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #7

I want to thank those on this vintage forum who answered my questions or made very useful comments concerning our 1986 Holiday Rambler Presidential (see picture on the top of this thread).

Two weeks ago we sold the unit. The new owner is very happy with the unit...it was nearly perfect when we sold it. Again, thanks to those who took their precious time to help me.

We still have our Bigfoot 3000/F350 which we will keep...it is nearly 10 years old now with a lot of life left...and an excellent unit for robust camping.

For comfort on long trips we have a 2002 Holiday Rambler Vacationer.

Again, thanks, HEMI
Old 11-12-2014, 05:55 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My husband and I just inherited a 1986 Rambler Imperial from his brother who just passed away. It has 47000 miles on it and is in really good shape. We are having some trouble with the power steering and the motor to the steps is not working. I believe we have the steps working but if anyone has any ideas about the power steering we could use your help. We have replaced the power steering fluid but it did not seem to help. I enjoy this group
Teachertype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #9

What does it do when turning wheel?

Noise?

Check belt?
Old 11-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #10

Thanks Tony and Lori,
It makes a noise sometimes, but not always. We have checked the belt.

Thank you,
Teachertype
Old 11-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #11

What happens when you turn the wheel?

does it turn real hard?

Have someone watch the belt and pully while you turn wheel to see if the pully stops or jumps.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #12

Will try that. Thanks!