Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2015, 08:14 PM   #1

Homesteading Freeloaders

Well today's plan to work on the house battery and the chassis battery came to a screeching halt this afternoon. As I was just getting started under the hood a number of wasps took offense to my being there. After some of them made their point (ouch), I gladly let them enjoy the rest of their afternoon in peace.
Does any body have some good tricks to keep these angry pests from home steading my camper? I really don't want to continue entertaining my neighbor's afternoons!
Grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #2

Unlike honey bees I have no qualms about using a wasp spray to clean out a nest IF it's where I need to work on something. Local hardware store will have some. It drops them immediately. Once the nest has spray on it they will not come back.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Shop Spectracide 2-Pack Wasp and Hornet Killer at Lowes.com

This works from 20 feet away. I use it on my house and RV.

I also spray inside my refrigerator and water heater compartments as a preventive measure along with underneath my coach's frame.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:12 AM   #4

So Arch roughly how long have you seen prespraying the various areas seem to last? I've never considered this before, it sounds like a pretty good idea.
Grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:01 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Wasps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
Well today's plan to work on the house battery and the chassis battery came to a screeching halt this afternoon. As I was just getting started under the hood a number of wasps took offense to my being there. After some of them made their point (ouch), I gladly let them enjoy the rest of their afternoon in peace.
Does any body have some good tricks to keep these angry pests from home steading my camper? I really don't want to continue entertaining my neighbor's afternoons!
Just encountered the same thing in my refer compartment, one got me before I realized they were there. I made a hasty retreat and retrieved my wasp spray and from about 10 feet away I hit the nest with a shot and shortly after that I knocked down the returning wasp. I hate killing critters but couldn't do my job with them around so the spray did the job.

Ray
Old 07-23-2015, 06:14 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Unlike honey bees I have no qualms about using a wasp spray to clean out a nest IF it's where I need to work on something. Local hardware store will have some. It drops them immediately. Once the nest has spray on it they will not come back.
They keep trying to nest in one of my mirror housings
So I keep feeding them breakfast.
Then they depart (Seems they do not like what I feed them)

That is Depart as in "We are gathered today to honor the memory of our dear departed friend" depart.. I feed them RAID
(or Spectracide forget which).
Old 07-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
So Arch roughly how long have you seen prespraying the various areas seem to last? I've never considered this before, it sounds like a pretty good idea.
I've been spraying it with pest killer for about the last 8 years when we began storing it next to our house.

I hit it at least twice a year and haven't had any bug nor ant problems even when we are on the road and stay at places that have ants.

Bayer Advanced. Get More From The Blue Bottle.

I use the termite killer concentrate that I mix myself and use around the house and actually inside our house for ants that occasionally get in our bathrooms for water, which is in short supply now where we live.

It doesn't smell. Some pest killers smell really bad.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #8

Good idea on pre-spraying the typical locals for bugs...

As for the title of this thread, I was kind of wondering how my BIL made it out to big sky country...

He did find my last house, (After his 2nd wife kicked him out, while having the two kids from his first wife with him), but he seems to be doing better with wife #3, and lucky for me, he and his sister (my DW) are on the outs...

Some freeloaders are worse than wasps...

(All comments contained here-in are made with tongue firmly in cheek. All are welcome to visit for a while, both my wife's and my relatives...)
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:38 PM   #9

They are Nasty little things and have gotten bet a few times recently.

First Aid to have on hand.

Anti - histamine of your choice cream.

Powdered meat tenderizer.

A small bottle of water.

When bit take water and get bite wet then sprinkle meat tenderizer on it to make paste and grind it into the bite as it neutralizes the venom.

After that rinse to clean and rub in the cream.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #10

Amdro kills ants like nothing else. Sprinkle it around the RV and none get inside.

Wasp spray works on all kinds of unwanted intruders even 2 legged kinds.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote