Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
HOney Finally sprung a leak in her gray matter...

My old thread is too old to reply to any longer... so .... as a review, see here...Anyone tell me what's on the roof ?

As an update...
OK Boys... she's sprung a leak, the gray stuff is cracked after our trip to yellowstone...poor thing, I do believe we shook her up! All the bolts have circular cracks around them in the gray stuff, but I do believe it is the front cap that is leaking.

So I pulled out the ladder, and climbed up there and started to dig in a bit....

It ain't a pretty and neat picture up there... I think there are about 5 coats of caulk/goo/tape/sealant/'god only knows what' up there!

I know there is an elasticy stretchy white caulk under the gray stuff as well as clear caulk under it.

I'm guessing it needs to all be scraped to the best of my ability and then eternabond the stuff that is joints. Then perhaps prime and kool coat? No way just to slap a little eternabond on it, too many layers of old crumbly, stretchy rotty gunk.

I do know the roof is aluminum... I figured that out.
Here are some pics.... I just need a little confidence I'm doing the right thing and that it will turn out ok. I'm riding solo on this project as Hubby has his own toy to fix up and DS is painting my house right now....

Along the door side above the awning shows the cracks all along the gray sealant stuff

I started to dig in and saw whte mush stuff

some sort of tape?

can you see the clear I'm guessing silicone caulk and the white calk?

That gray sealant is really stuck tight alomost bonded to tthe aluminum, might need to sand it off....?!?

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #2

Your bang on scrape all of the old sealant off anything else you can't get off, wire brush it , clean with a varsol and paint a new coat of snow coat on. You'll be good to go

Old 08-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #3

Honey, go buy a all purpose tool from Sears. They will know what you need, it has a scraper blade with it. It vibrates back and forth. It will lay almost flat and you can do the whole thing in couple of hours. Then eternabond or use the self leveling sealant after cleaning off with laquer thinner or alcohol. Dont even try to hand scrape it.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch460 View Post
Honey, go buy a all purpose tool from Sears. They will know what you need, it has a scraper blade with it. It vibrates back and forth. It will lay almost flat and you can do the whole thing in couple of hours. Then eternabond or use the self leveling sealant after cleaning off with laquer thinner or alcohol. Dont even try to hand scrape it.

I agree with the usefulness of a multi-tool. Just do not like Sears. I recommend Ryobi 18v One-Plus battery powered tools. That have an array of types of tools and support their battery type over the years. Sears changes their battery types with seasonal changes. After cleaning all the existing gunk off, then as you say Eternabond would be the way to re-seal. Best of luck.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
So I'll go up and over the screws holding the 2 parts together with the 4 in. eternabond tape? How will that seal down in between the ridges of the piece that the screws hold over the joint?(where the fiberglass cap meets the aluminum top) there was a white strip there, looks maybe like putty tape? should I put something like that along the top of the screws?
Old 08-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
You might be able to use Dicor self-leveling caulk to make that seam level. Then use the Eternabond over that. Once again, all of this area must be really clean and all of that gunk that was there needs to be removed and cleaned. I have used a wire wheel on a drill or angle grinder to help. Being careful not to be too aggressive and grind thru the aluminum.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:30 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
You also must make sure there is no silicone type sealant remaining before you reseal. The proper sealants &/or eternabond do not like to adhere well with silicone sealant & the silicone sealant does not do a good enough job for a long lasting seal.

I would also check any areas you have on the roof where antennas, or ac units, vent pipes, ect are attached & recaulk them also. May as well do it all at one time. Water has a way of traveling furhter than you may think before it appears inside.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Question and a comment... how to remove the silicone caulk residue so the eternabond will stick?

and, I finally asked for help and DH will look at it and help this afternoon... however, he was scraping the gasket off the transmission pan in another car of ours because he is changing it's fluid... and cut his hand scraping with the scraper... I'm not real confident with his skill levels...LOL, he gets hurt a lot, but has good 'try to' attitude.
I try to keep sharp things away from him....but don't want to hurt his ego. So... Positive thoughts toward our Honey and my Dear Hubby this afternoon please!
Old 09-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just clarifying... is there an unseen film to remove or if I can't see it or feel it then it's gone?

Tags
leak