Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #15

Many coaches have all the connections inside one compartment. The one you have for the tanks and electrical is where I would have a second look. The PO may have put a plug in it due to it leaking. So when looking, keep an eye out for a line that just dead ends.

Worst case, you can install a city water hook up anywhere in the cold water side of the system pretty simply?

Pressurizing your fresh water tank with some kind of adapter would be an expensive mistake.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #16

Betcha 10 Hooter wings his city hook up is on one end or other of that water filter....

Old 07-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Update. I found the dam thing. Its in the area where the greay and waste tank is mounted on the floor on the side of the grey tank. Most ridiculous plac.e I ever seen but its there. Thanks to all for your help. I guess now I will go out and open all the faucets and see what kind of surprises it has for me today. Thanks again. The dumb newbie.
vman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman60 View Post
I found the dam thing. Its in the area where the greay and waste tank is mounted on the floor on the side of the grey tank.
Ummmm.....be sure that's a city (fresh) water hookup and NOT a black tank flusher that some previous owner has added. If it's the latter and you turn on the water with the black tank drain closed, you will NOT have a good day!!!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #19

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Vman,

I have read all the posts and agree with every one of them. All of our later coaches had just one place to place a hose for water. The inlet was threaded to allow the city water connection to be tightly connected and the water left on to flow throughout the coach. But that being said, there is a valve or handle or switch that will tell the water system that you either want city water or you want to fill the fresh water holding tank. That valve or switch will direct water into the tank instead of through the pipes. Our water tank has an overflow spot that will prevent us from filling it too much from a pressurized water source. If I am too lazy to go in and watch the tank level monitors to tell me that my tank is full...the water running out onto my driveway from the tank tells me it is full.

Now...our son has a 2003 BT Cruiser and he has two separate fill areas. One on one side of the coach that is threaded for a city water connection...tight connection. On the other side of the coach is a non-threaded gravity fill opening that is for the purpose of filling a fresh water holding tank. He does not have an overflow valve and when his fresh water tank is full...the water spurts out in the spot that he is patiently holding the hose.

You have stated that the only water inlet valve that you can find is non-threaded. By this statement, I can only assume that the reasoning behind this is for safety reasons. Your coach was designed in such a way that you must stand and monitor the water filling by hand and by eye to avoid bursting your water tanks. I would call Fleetwood before you attempt to modify that water inlet with any kind of threaded attachment. Get them to walk you through it or in the alternative...find someone with a coach like yours and have them walk you through it. There simply must be another water inlet or a valve to switch it between tank fill and city water.

I did just that a few months ago with our new to us Revolution. A very kind person on this site has the "sister coach" to ours and his advice has been invaluable...(Thanks Okie-Dokie...)

Good luck....

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
As old as my coach is there is not that many around. There are a few people on here that it appears to have the same coach. The inlet that I did find is threaded for a hose. And is mounted on the top or if you were inside it would be the floor and on the side of a tank. It does have calcium built up around it so its the only inlet water source I can find at this point. I do have what came with the coach a white hose with what apears to be either a filter or a water pressure attachment that was in the compartment with the water tank, so I am assuming you would connect this white hose to the coach and the house hose to this white hose, which is what about to try and see if it works. I know understand what I have on the outside above the tank is merely to fill the tank as I will see what happens. I don"t want to fill the tank until the wiring is fixed next week. But I am still curious as to how to fill the hot water heater and or if it just feeds off the house tank instead and or the city water.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #21

The water heater is filled automatically from either source unless the input valve to the wh is closed.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
AGain, please get some help because you are in left field and are apt to have a disaster. Newbe or not, just the fact. And we are all newbe at one time.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Vman have a 89 Bounder 34w same paint scheme as yours but back half has custom paint scheme as does rear I see you have found water hook up I have all manuels for everything in that unit,at present im clear coating outside and removing all air pumps on engine mine has 58,000 miles---- I need a/c ccontrol box tthat goes in dash/wcover
Old 07-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a 34' 1989 Fleetwood Southwind, and ours has the unthreaded fresh tank filler on the passenger side all the way to the rear, just above the fresh tank and pump compartment. It does have a vent but its weinie. The hole is easily large enough to stick a hose into. The only threads are on the outside of the filler, with a screw-on cap that says "non-pressure water only".

The city water fill is on the drivers side, just above the rear tire, in the same little compartment as the park cable hook-up. It has a rotating, black plastic female hose connection with a rubber snap-on cap. If this female connector were broken off, it would still NOT be wide enough to admit a garden hose.

I'm surprised Fleetwood would have changed this from 1988 to 1989- most of these are very similar in internal layout from year to year.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #25

Our 1987 bounder has the city water hookup located in the same compartment as the main power cable on the drivers side, the fresh water tank fill is located on the passenger side of the motor home ,behind a lockable flap.

Pretty near the compartment that houses the water pump.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #26

This is getting REALLY interesting.... I may owe someone 10 Hooters wings....
Old 07-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauland Ro View Post
Our 1987 bounder has the city water hookup located in the same compartment as the main power cable on the drivers side, the fresh water tank fill is located on the passenger side of the motor home ,behind a lockable flap.

Pretty near the compartment that houses the water pump.
Now how weird is that, we have the same coach a year apart and the water inlet systems are on different sides. Only thing on my coach on the passenger side is the pump, which is loaceted right in front of the rear door. I guess a designer said Hey let mess with some people's heads and switch the water systems around and see if they can figure it out.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
This is getting REALLY interesting.... I may owe someone 10 Hooters wings....
I'l pass on the wings, but if you can send over a hooter gal we'll call it even. LoL.