Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hook up?

Hello again. I just tried tried to go out and hook up the water from my house house to the coach. There is a door obove left of the tank that say city water. I opened it and there is a cap that you unscrew and a flex hose that looks like it goes into the main water tank. Is there supposed to be an adapter that fits that cap so you can thread on and install your hose to the coach? If there is I don't have 1, other wise the hose will not stay in that small section for any water pressure. I am thinking I am missing an adapter for the hose or am I wrong here? I don't see how you can hook up city water without it, someone help me out here thank you. Tony

vman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #2

i think your missing something go towards kitchen window you will see the hook up

Old 07-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #3

A typical water system looks like this:

This is a typical water tank refill port (shown on the left above). The tank supplies the pump with water for the system.

This is a typical city water hose connection (pump is not used when using this).
Old 07-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
A typical water system looks like this:

This is a typical water tank refill port (shown on the left above). The tank supplies the pump with water for the system.

This is a typical city water hose connection (pump is not used when using this).
All I have is the middle picture. No place to insert an entire cap un less its a male conector that feeds into the middle picture.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
And that is the only place on the coach for you put water in, so there has to be an adapter that slides over the opening such as the 2nd picture above.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman60 View Post
And that is the only place on the coach for you put water in, so there has to be an adapter that slides over the opening such as the 2nd picture above.
If the access point you are describing leads to your water supply tank, you do not want to connect a pressurized hose to it. The tank is vented to atmospheric pressure and is not a pressure vessel, and your pump draws from it. The pump does the pressurizing. If you could somehow cap the vent and hook a pressurized water source to it, you would end up with a huge big mess. That tank will not handle more than just a few psi pressure before it ruptures. A true "city water" connection will be downstream from the pump, and feed the system directly.

Somewhere on your RV there is hose connection similar to the other photo. Stop by any RV lot and ask them to show you where. I have one travel trailer with the city water connection under the trailer.

How about posting a photo of what you are describing? If the access hatch is labeled "city water" it should not be just an open hole like the one leading to the tank.

Older RVs did use pressurized water supply tanks, but they quit using those long before your 1988 model.
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #7

Ah grasshopper, you are SO lost..... just don't ask the DW to fill it up at a service station and have her put 35 gal of gas in the fresh water tank.... Did that, been there....
Old 07-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
According to my owner manual there is a valve that isolates the water going into the tank, and straight into the system. Here is what the manual says, forgive me for being not so understanding about the systems as this is my 1st coach
Fresh water system:
The external system is a pressurized by the system at an RV park or city water supply. When you use this system the onboard pump is isolated from the city water pressure by a check valve. A maual valve also isolates the onboard fresh water storage tank. This valve can be used to fill the tank from the city water supply.
Connect the city water system as follows:
Open the protective door over the city water inlet. Connect 1 end of a portable water hose yo park or city water supply. This will usually be a faucet or valve simlar to your garden hose at home.. Run the city water supply for a few seaconds to clear the line. Turn off the supply. If a portable water hose is not connected to the inlet, connect the hose to the inlet fitting. Turn the supply on. OPen all faucets and clear the lines. Close Faucets. If you want to fill the fresh water tank from the city water supply, open the tank fill valve. Be careful when you do this. Monitor the filling of the tank continually. The flow and pressure at some park and city water supplies could damage the tank if left unattended. After filling the tank close the valve.
Ok now with this being said the pic in my manual shows a picture of a inlet like the last pic that was posted above. With an adapter in a closed door. Then it goes to show a picture in the manual of the 1 I have like in the 2nd illistrated picture above.
at that says water tank fill. It says this.
The onboard water storage tank may also be filled through a special filler cap outside the motorhomee. To fill the fresh water tank, open the spout and fill the tank with the hose. After filling the tank, close the spout.
Now can you see where someone can be confused? So I am guess that there is a valve to be turned, I need an adapted and thats it, because there is no other place on the outside of the coach to put water in. If anyone out there afer reading the manual see's it different Please tell me. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you looked on the other side of your coach? My city water (garden hose type connector is at the back of the drivers side and the fresh water tank fill (center pic above) is about 2/3 back on the other side, near the water pump.
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Please get someone to show you in person how all that works. Otherwise you are going to get all screwed up with all the disjointed responses. But, no you do not need an adapter, you just screw the male end of our hose into the the subject connection.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have checked this coach all day both sides and climbed under neath it all looking for a inlet for a hose connector. There is none. The only place to put water in this coach is the filler on drivers side. Opposite side in front of rear door is where the pump is. Nothing in there but the pump ,lines and a filter. Beyond that is a door for the water heater, then next door is fridge, then oven. Below that is propane door. Driver side is storage doors, tanks and electrical door, then generator. Then filler door.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:45 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I will be on the drivers side around the area where the pump and sewer connections are located. It could be inside where the electrical wire exits. Or it could be in a recess somewhere on the side, possibly with a lock. But it will not be far from the water works. The wording in the owners manual indicates it is there somewhere. That is why it is a good idea to drive around the parks and find a similar unit where you can look and/or talk to the owner.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
The water fill is on driverside above the tanks, and I looked inside where the tanks are and nothing. You can see where the white hose from the outside water fill enters the tank, but no adaption for a city water hook up. The water pump is in a enclosed door with a big canister filter but on the opposite side of coach in the rear. (passenger side). It just seems to me that if there is indeed a seperate hook up for city water that there would be 2 sets of water lines. 1 for the tank and 1 for the city water. If not then it would only make sense that there is a valve that cuts off the water supply for the tank and a direct connection to the plumbing to the faucets. Now among this issue of water, does the hot water tank fill up when the tank is full and feed off of that? And or does it opperate the same when hooked up at a park? Again sounds like 2 systems of plumbing or a seperate valve for shut off for direct flow.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #14

There is a oneway check valve in the water pump that prevents water from flowing back into the fresh water tank when using the city water hookup. Thats why you see the city water connection on the pump output in the drawing above. Look closely in the area of the water filter. Not many rigs came with a water filter and were normally a owner add on. Most just added them to the city water side because they did not know the quality of the campground water supply. Your city water connection may simply be on the input side of the filter.
While the drawing reflects the largest population of RV water systems, there are some models that allow the owner to just connect to a 3 way diverter valve that allows you to either fill the water tank or use as a normal city water connection. That seems to be what your manual refers to as a manual valve. Even so, there still has to be that city water hose connection (a normal everyday garden hose connection). I suspect it is somewhere near that water filter. Most are on the drivers side so that it does not interfer with the awning and human activity on the passenger side.

Dave