Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
hooking up my toilet

well I just put in my new electric toilet but need some info. it has to run on 12v only. I found some 12v wires real close to hook to. now these wires run my lights in the bathroom, no problem there but if I am hooked to shore power 30 amp my converter takes over as it should. my ? is when I hook to shore power will this hurt the toilet? I really don't want to run over 30 ft of wire from my house batts to the toilet. hope I am ok. thanks for any info.

Outlaw

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #2

As long as your converter is in line when on shore power, it doesn't use 12 volts directly. it more than likely uses the battery as a power synch to increase output voltage and reduce dimming of power demands. best way to know is to hook up something that requires low 12 volt amps ( a 12 volt fan ) to the lighting wires you want to use and test the voltage while using shore power. just remember murphy's law...low and high voltage always take out the most expensive appliance first.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
well I had the MH hooked to shore power today at home and tried to flush my toilet. no workie. so now I have to rewire so I am going to run wires to my gen. battery plus side and a ground to the gen frame and hook up that way. this way it will be total 12 volt and only a short run. I hate electrics. lol.

Outlaw
Old 08-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #4

I don't know if I would chance using an electric toilet wired by someone with the same amount of expertise I have. I straddled a Weed Burner electric fence while standing in dew wet alfalfa when I was 10. Found out the fence WAS on. Been leery ever since!!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How many amps does the new toilet draw?

Are you sure you have tapped into the 12v wiring before the switches to your lighting, and not after (i.e. tested that the light switch doesn't have to be on to run your toilet?)

No reason why the existing 12v wiring won't work- all your 12 volt power will come through the converter whether you are on shore power or batteries.

The problem is elsewhere. Good ground? No blown fuses?

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
yep, I turned off the shore power, hooked into the lights cause when I cut the wires the lights would not come on. taped into the wires and hooked up. turned on the coach power and all worked. plugged into shore power, lights work but not toilet. my lights have some kind of ressitor in them, toilet doesn't. while pluged into shore power I turned on my house pump. got water thru my facucets but not toilet. unplug shore, turn on coach power, all works. don't have idea how much amps toilet draws. so now I will go direct to battery off my gen. and see how that does. thanks for the ?'s and ideas. will see today.

Outlaw
Old 08-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maybe time to take the 12V toilet back and trade it in on a manual one.
What is the advantage of a 12V one over a manual one?
Looks like more cons then pro's.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
well I rerouted my wires so that it is direct to the batterys and it works great even if I am on shore power. oh life is grand.

tell ya what, I have a new electric toilet for $75.00, brand new never been used. lol

Outlaw
Old 08-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Maybe time to take the 12V toilet back and trade it in on a manual one.
What is the advantage of a 12V one over a manual one?
Looks like more cons then pro's.
The electric toilet probably has a macerator built in. Mine does.
Advantages: All "solids" are mixed with water and ground to liquid before they get to the black tack.
Flushing uses a consistent measured amount of water.
It has a trap and holds water in the bowl like a home toilet, no sticky, ever.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Jim, mine doesn't have a macerator in it. man now I need that and I just put this one in. ya think I could trade it in for one even up? lol. I know my brother has one in his '05 Navigator, that thing is sweet, oh well guess I'll just have to live with this one.lol.
oh how sweet it is to have a Vintage.

Outlaw
Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To some slight extend it depends on the converter.... Most modern RV's have very good converters and the answer is the toilet won't know the difference.. (or to be more precise it won't matter to the toilet)

Some older rigs may have converters that are not all that good.

What converter do you have? Progressive Dynamics 9200 (or 9100 with wizard) IOTA with IQ-4 Two of the very best. Magnatek 6300,, Not the best.