Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2015, 08:03 AM   #1

Hot in the RV

I am looking for suggestions to lower the temps in my RV while parked. I live in AZ. It was 115 outside and 145 inside the RV. The heat can't be good for the furniture. I am thinking 12 volt fans. Attic fans. solar fans. has anyone had any luck?
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2015, 08:12 AM   #2

mbridinger: I use a solar charging system to keep my RV powered during the day and battery power for night power. I keep a ceiling vent open and fan on....ALL the time in the hot months. I also have certain windows open with screen pulled. This keeps air flow in the RV.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
I am looking for suggestions to lower the temps in my RV while parked.
I hate to state the obvious but...

Heat rises - open the roof vents (if you have them). Get as much circulation going as possible. Obviously; without air conditioning, 115 degree outside temp is going to result in at least 115 degree inside temp if circulating outside air.

Shade - as much as possible. Doesn't matter where it's from - trees, awning, etc...

A windshield sun cover (like this) can make a huge difference if facing the sun. Similar covers on whatever windows are facing the sun is also very, very helpful.

I just re-read your question and suspect "while parked" means "while in storage" (not living in it)?? If that's the case, it is a bit more difficult as keeping windows open and awning out are probably not possible. I suppose covered storage is the only good option?? I dunno...
Old 06-18-2015, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
mbridinger: I use a solar charging system to keep my RV powered during the day and battery power for night power. I keep a ceiling vent open and fan on....ALL the time in the hot months. I also have certain windows open with screen pulled. This keeps air flow in the RV.
What kind of fan do you have/ how much cfm? My vents are open. A couple of windows as well. windshield covered. solar as well.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
You aren't going to be able to lower the temperature any further than the "in the shade" temperature, no matter what you do. I.e., if its 115 in the sun and 90 in the shade where you park your rig, 90 degrees is the best you'll do.

To keep it from being hotter than that, cover the windshield and all the windows with Reflectix and put in a 12v powered vent like the Fantastic Vent 3350

This model will open the vent and start the exhaust fan when the interior reaches your preferred temperature, and will automatically close the vent when it rains or the temperature goes back down.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:21 PM   #6

This aint Texas! It is 115 in the shade and 130 in the sun. I am trying to keep temps below 160 or higher. It will melt your dreams! thanks for the idea of the fantastic fan. Do i need to be concerned with it draining my batteries? I guess I could plug in the Rv but I only have access to 20 amps.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #7

We have a pair of MaxAir window vents on ours. These allow a side window to remain open about 6" or so, and remain reasonably weather proof. This allow the roof vents to pull air from wherever you have one of these located, increasing circulation big time. You can feel the draft coming in without the fan running....

Would like to get another (3rd), but having trouble sourcing it as they appear to be discontinued?

Airxcel | Maxxair | Window/Maxx
Old 06-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
This aint Texas! It is 115 in the shade and 130 in the sun. I am trying to keep temps below 160 or higher. It will melt your dreams! thanks for the idea of the fantastic fan. Do i need to be concerned with it draining my batteries? I guess I could plug in the Rv but I only have access to 20 amps.
The Fantastic fan is the way to go. You said you have access to 20 amp. That is more then enough for the minimal draw of the fan.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before I had a 50 AMP circuit installed at our house for the coach I used to plug into a 20 AMP circuit and run 1 roof air conditioner to keep our coach cool.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The fantastic fan draws 2 amps per hour, so very minimal, if you have 20 amp plug, then plug it in, let the fan run, on low, pulling the hot air out. Open a window on the shade side of your MH. You could let the fan run on battery's for a week or so before you would have to charge the battery's, but if you have the elect., why not use it to keep the batterys charged ? JMHO, Rail!
Old 06-19-2015, 06:25 AM   #11

As long as I am going to plug in to my house why not plug in a $20 box fan? I can point it out a window. I know it is low tech and cheap, that describes me well. I am not ready to spend $200 on a tiny little fan. I can go a long way on $200 worth of gas. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:10 AM   #12

I live about 30 miles north of Prescott. At home I point the north and no shade most of the day. I keep my windshield screen on most of the time and that helped.

Last year I made screens for all windows with the 90% screen material, same as the windshield. Before I just went in to do what I had to do and got out. After all screens installed, the temps dropped down to the low 90's inside, maybe lower, no fans and windows closed (wind and dust). I could stay as long as needed. We are running 100*F this here this week and planning a trip in a week or so and I don't have them installed right now, but may put them on, even for the short time.

YMMV, I know Scottsdale is hotter!

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:48 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I live by Luke AFB, in the Valley, I keep my coach plugged in to a 20amp plug, run the fantastic fan in the front and open a window in the rear so that it draws air through most of the coach. It help but we are in AZ and it gets hot, I went into my coach yesterday and it was 110 degrees.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
A cover would be ideal. If you cannot build a cover, can you get a tarp over the roof?

I would suggest that if you can build a light framework to place on the roof and then place a tarp over it, tieing the tarp to the ground. It will keep the inside very close to the outside temperatures.

If there is enough room you can open the vents.