Originally Posted by NtheWind
The prongs on the RV plug are kind of dark, so I'm going to see if I can find some steel wool to brighten them up and see if that will correct the problem. However in the mean time I just wanted to ask if it's normal for the plug to get so hot? And is it really safe to be plugging it into household current?
NtheWind, Dark colored blades will not make a good contact with the jaws in the receptacle and the cord cap will have a tendency to overheat. If you are attempting to power a 30A RV plug, you can get that type of power from 1 phase of your household power.
By all means get a fine flat file and shine up those prongs. At some point consider cutting off that old cap and tapping in a new temperature stable plastic cap that will hold the blades firmly insted of the OE rubber one. This will help with the overheating plug.